• Reply 41 of 62
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 62
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Xed said:
    IreneW said:
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what's this thing about multi monitor support?
    The first iteration of the M-series chip with the M1 in 3 entry-level Macs only support 2 4K monitors. Intel (and those that hate Apple) are saying that Apple sucks big donkey balls because of you can't have more than monitors (not including Sidecar) despite the aforementioned info about it being entry-level and just being released The M2 or M1X for the MBP will likely support more and eventually they will support more high-resolution displays, which will eventually be met by those same people with, "yeah, but so what. Most people only use the one or maybe two displays. That's just pointless overkill." We've seen this time and time again over the decades.
    Oh, i didn't know about that. But I agree, this limitation will go away in later iterations  it has to, having s multiple monitor setup is essential for programmers and designers.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Rayz2016Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Oh... that's disappointing. I know it is just a job but the original 'I'm a Mac' series brilliant and ground breaking advertising. This is just a flat and tired re-hash. Will the target audience really remember the originals?, and if not - will it work? And Justin is looking old. Nothing wrong with that, we all age, but its just kinda sad. I guess it is a sign of the times - the Mac guy is just like every other guy. Mac is great and all that, but times have changed and Mac now is 'the man'. 
    Still, I am disappointed in Justin. I wish I could unseemly that add.
    apple47watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    JWSC said:
    apple1991 said:
    most of the target audience of apple's stuff still remembers justin long and the apple commercials
    That is the question.  Who is the target audience?  It’s not going to convince anyone in the Apple ecosphere, entertaining though it may be.  Are PC buyers going to care?  The last thing Intel should be doing is drawing attention to the M1, which is what this ad does.  It only elevates the status of the M1.  Intel would be better off going about their business as if the M1 didn’t exist or, even if it does, pretending that it’s entirely unimportant and of no consequence to the PC world.
    Good point about the target audience. Apple’s earlier ones, using a similar format and actor, were very simple and drove home a single message or two per ad. They weren’t trying to sway anyone already entrenched in either the PC or Apple market or doing spec sheet comparisons. 

Apple has done quite well with its messaging, even though it’s always quite simple. The PC market as a whole doesn’t get it. As much as I get excited and totally geeked out in retail environments like Micro Center, those are very scary places for a lot of personal computer buyers, especially the ones who are on the fence about whether to go with a Mac or a PC. 

I’m not convinced that Intel is doing itself any favors by copying Apple’s old ad campaign without understanding the full context behind what messages Apple was trying to get across. Using the right tool for the job really matters. 
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 62
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Xed said:
    IreneW said:
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what's this thing about multi monitor support?
    The first iteration of the M-series chip with the M1 in 3 entry-level Macs only support 2 4K monitors. Intel (and those that hate Apple) are saying that Apple sucks big donkey balls because of you can't have more than the 2monitors (not including Sidecar and including the MacBook Air's display) despite the aforementioned info about it being entry-level and just being released.

The M2 or M1X for the MBP will likely support more and eventually they will support more high-resolution displays, which will eventually be met by those same people with, "yeah, but so what. Most people only use the one or maybe two displays. That's just pointless overkill." We've seen this time and time again over the decades.
    It's actually worse than that. The M1 MacBook Air and M1 MacBook Pro only support a single external monitor. It can be up to 6K XDR but no matter what, they only support a single external. Clamshell mode doesn't affect this limitation. The MacBook display always uses up one of the available video connections.

The M1 Mac mini can support 2 external monitors. One connected to the HDMI port up to 4K and one connected to the ThunderBolt port up to a 6K XDR.

For most people buying the entry level M1 Macs, these limitations are probably not a big deal. I certainly don't need more than one 4K or 5K display connected to my M1 MacBook Air but everyone buying one of these first M1 Macs should be aware of the limitations.
    edited March 2021 ravnorodommaltz
  • Reply 46 of 62
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    longfang said:
    Why is Intel so afraid? Makes me skeptical about their ability to progress.
    The theory is that they really don't care much about Apple's Macs because they aren't ever likely to have much more than 10-15% of the market at most. But the rest of the PC market is watching and they can clearly see that the M1 is spectacularly low power with the best or near the best single core performance of any CPU. Intel is posturing for the rest of the PC market trying to minimize the threat of Apple Silicon because they don't want their customers to go out a look for a low-power high-performance alternative to the stagnant Intel lineup.

Intel just introduced a new line of desktop CPUs that they are still calling 11th gen even though they are all based on Intel's 14nm fabrication process. They are upgraded with Intel's latest architecture but Intel has to be embarrassed that they couldn't manufacture them with their 10nm process. They are covering up the limitations as best they can. I don't think it is going to work but at least Intel gives the rest of the PC industry talking points when their customers come around asking why can't they have fanless, 15 hour battery life, thin laptops like Apple.

This might backfire in 6 months though with whatever Apple is coming out with next. If Apple nails it with the next Apple Silicon devices, Intel is going to look even more foolish.
    edited March 2021 roundaboutnowBeatscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 62
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Red meat for rabid Apple fanatics who would buy Tim Cook’s sh@t if he sold it with a Apple logo. Who care about Intel? It is no longer part of the long term roadmap. Apple is not going back! That said, Apple could do a lot more for gamers. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 48 of 62
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Limitless creative options seems like false advertising even without comparison.

Not sure a know a single creative on any platform that doesn't feel like the software they use limits them and isn't still waiting for the software to catch up with it's own marketing let alone their imagination.

Not sure more bad options counts as a good thing.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 62
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    darkvader said:
    Oh, and what's wrong with AI's website now?  Command-clicking a URL doesn't open the link in a new tab here today, I have to two-finger it and select open in new tab.  VERY annoying.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stopthemadness/id1376402589?mt=12
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 62
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    crowley said:
    Intel seem a bit ratttled.    Pretty funny that they got Justin though, good coup.
    My understanding (I might be incorrect) is that Justin Long was never a fan of the Mac but John Hodgman is... John would likely, though not obviously, have been a real coup doing the ads...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 62
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    it seems disingenuous to compare a touchscreen pc with a Mac; there are many pcs without a touchscreen or can be folded over on itself. 

nor can one game on all intel machines. the new Macs are not the equivalent of the best intel chips.

and really, am I supposed to care what some famous person uses? if tom hanks bought the new AirPods Pro should I suddenly care? if Justin long bought a chevy should I buy one too? are we really so swayed by one person's opinion and biased interview?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 62
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I almost ran over Justin Long with my Outback in Austin one time. He obliviously walked in front of the car while I was pulling into a parking  space on 6th Street west of Lamar. Pretty sure he was stoned.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 62
    paxman said:
    Oh... that's disappointing. I know it is just a job but the original 'I'm a Mac' series brilliant and ground breaking advertising. This is just a flat and tired re-hash. Will the target audience really remember the originals?, and if not - will it work? And Justin is looking old. Nothing wrong with that, we all age, but its just kinda sad. I guess it is a sign of the times - the Mac guy is just like every other guy. Mac is great and all that, but times have changed and Mac now is 'the man'. 
    Still, I am disappointed in Justin. I wish I could unseemly that add.
    i'm with u man.. i don't blame him for taking the job.. but disappointing that it ruin the series of the i'm a mac ads, which is my most favourite from all apple ads. i have collection of it that download from youtube back then. it never felt the same again when rewatch the series. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 62
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member

• Boy where to begin with this one?  Might as well do commentary in bold...
    darkvader said:

I mean, the gaming ad isn't wrong.
    I rarely play games.  When I do, I play games that used to run on Mac.
    • By all means buy what you want, I’m not going to tell you what works best for you
    Used to?  Yep.  When Apple screwed us by dropping Classic support, some of them stopped working.  When Apple screwed us by Dropping PowerPC support, more of them stopped working.  When Apple screwed us by dropping 32-bit support, ALL of them stopped working. 
    • I’d LOVE to be playing EV Nova right now, alas, it’s pr gone for good
    Those same games work on Windoze 10.  MS has no announced plans to dump 32-bit app support, and even some 16-bit apps will still run.  They never had to suffer through an architecture switch, we're now suffering through our third.  (Or not.  I have no plans to buy a M Mac, macOS 11 is awful, and if I can find a non-Apple laptop with a decent trackpad I may well end up running Xubuntu as my primary OS, with Mac OS of various flavors and Windoze in VMware.  Apple's current laptops are pretty dismal anyway, the thin fetish has gone too far, they're ridiculously fragile, as evidenced by why I now own a 2018 MacBook Air - the previous owner broke the screen.  Oh, and if you replace the screen on a 2018 MBA with one from ebay, the keyboard backlight won't work because the ambient light sensor won't talk to the T2 chip, another completely asinine move on Apple's part.)

• This just sounds like Apple hate.  You realize that the pruning of old code is what allows Apple to move from architecture to architecture and that it’s been to Apples benefit to do so each time.  I mean come-ON, Apple would be dead 4 times over if they had stayed on 6802!

There is NO technical reason Apple can't maintain legacy support, there's no technical reason we can't run Motorola 68k apps on M Macs.  (And we actually can at least do that, no thanks to Apple, but big thanks to the good folks at SheepShaver.  )  But of course PPC and 32-bit Intel OS X apps are still no-go, because Apple needlessly broke them.  You can virtualize 10.6 on Intel hardware and sort of get back PPC and 32-bit support, but that's gone for M Macs.
    The old excuse was "MS is a much bigger company, they can afford to have people maintain legacy support."  But that garbage won't fly any more, Apple is now a significantly bigger company, and Apple has significantly more cash on hand.  Oh, and in  the Linux world, the controversy is about dropping support for 32-bit hardware, it's unlikely 32-bit app support will ever go away.
    Apple's pig-headed attacks on legacy software haven't just hurt gaming, of course.  They've wreaked havoc on business workflows that rely on legacy apps that will never be updated.

• There most definitely IS.  The level of backward compatibility you are requiring prevents making your system portable between architectures.  Just ask MS how easy it is to get complete backwards compatibility between all flavors of x86 and their Windows-on-ARM solution.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.

(I don't get the gamer on a laptop thing, though.  If you're at a desk, why would you want a tiny screen on an underpowered, likely thermally throttled box?  Desktop computers exist for a reason.)

• If laptops aren’t your thing then don’t buy them.  Doesn’t mean others don’t find them useful.

muthuk_vanalingamFidonet127watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Gruber had a good write up. Points for the title, too.

https://daringfireball.net/2021/03/intel_goes_long
    Fidonet127watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    robaba said:

Those same games work on Windoze 10.  MS has no announced plans to dump 32-bit app support, and even some 16-bit apps will still run.  They never had to suffer through an architecture switch, 
    They tried twice with ARM, and also with PowerPC, but always half heartedly and ending up in failure every time, because they couldn't pull the plug on x86.  Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility manages to be both admirable, and also a massive burden to them.  On the flip side Apple's disregard for backwards compatibility enables them to deliver in leaps and bounds, but leaves a smouldering trail of destruction in their wake, and lots of people who don't want to get burned again.

Hopefully once the M1 transition is complete and Apple controls the entire stack, with no pressing need for any further major architectural revision, they'll be able to calm down for a stretch and we won't see software stop functioning nearly as much as we have over the past 15 years.  Hopefully.
    edited March 2021 Fidonet127muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 57 of 62
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    apple1991 said:
    most of the target audience of apple's stuff still remembers justin long and the apple commercials

Dude that was pre-iPhone. Apple’s target audience is much younger and vastly wider.

literally 99% of the world is now Apple’s target audience. 
  • Reply 58 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley said:
    Intel seem a bit ratttled.    Pretty funny that they got Justin though, good coup.
    "I'm a PC" John Hodgeman had already been hired by Apple four months earlier. I have no real issue with Intel choosing not to ignore the ad resurrection and countering with "I'm a Mac" Justin. Will it make a difference? Probably not.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 59 of 62
    omasouomasou Posts: 575member
    longfang said:
    Why is Intel so afraid? Makes me skeptical about their ability to progress.
    Their ability to progress? They have been milking the same x86 cash cow for how long now. Even AWS is creating their own chips for EC2.

The ship has sailed and they are still standing on the dock.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 62
    omasouomasou Posts: 575member
    Just watched all the videos...sad really...most talked about the manufacture's features, color choice (really), convertibles (Apple has already stated their position on this), etc. Even the video support has nothing to do w/the Intel chip but instead the discrete GPU instead. Guess they really have nothing to say about the chip inside. ROTFLMAO.

Wonder what will happen when the next round of Mx chips or dual Mx chips are released that support dual 6K Apple monitors, hummm.
    watto_cobra