Kuo: Mini LED iPad Pro enters production in April, OLED iPad Air in 2022

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2021
Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects mass production of a rumored Mini LED iPad Pro to begin sometime in mid to late April, adding that the tech giant's tablet line will adopt OLED screen technology in 2022.

iPad Pro

Kuo updated his Mini LED predictions in a note to investors on Thursday. In September, the analyst said iPad Pro would be the first of Apple's products to integrate the display technology with an expected launch date in the first half of 2021.

"According to our latest survey, the current production yield and quality have reached Apple's high standards, so it is expected that assemblers will start mass production of mini LED iPads after mid-to-late April," Kuo said in Thursday's note.

The revised timeline is in agreement with recent rumors regarding a near-future iPad Pro release. Echoing months-old predictions from Kuo, Bloomberg on Wednesday reported that the new tablets, including a 12.9-inch model with Mini LED screen, would be introduced as soon as April. DigiTimes sources cited a similar production schedule.

Looking ahead, Kuo sees potential integration of OLED screens in the iPad line in 2022, though Mini LED will remain an exclusive feature of Apple's high-end tablets. Interestingly, OLED is predicted to land in iPad Air first and might not make its way to the flagship iPad Pro.

"However, according to our latest industry survey, if the iPad adopts an OLED display in 2022, it will be the mid-/low-end iPad Air, while the high-end iPad Pro will still use a mini LED display," Kuo writes.

While OLED offers some advantages over Mini LED, the technology might not be an ideal candidate for productivity devices due to image retention and component lifecycle concerns. Apple is likely taking those points into consideration as it mulls an OLED future for iPad and Mac.

According to Kuo, Apple has sunk significant resources into Mini LED and will push the hardware as a key differentiator for its productivity device lineup. The specialized screens are expected to grace at least two MacBook Pro models in 2021, with MacBook Air benefitting from the technology in 2022.

Led by MacBook Pro and subsequent MacBook iterations, Apple's adoption of Mini LED will pick up steam over the next two years. Kuo forecasts display shipments to be 10 million in 2021 and between 20 million and 30 million in 2022.

Stay on top of the latest Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a quick update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects...”

Seriously, are you contractually obligated to pump Kuo’s reputation when citing his reports? It’s just weird, especially when so many of his supposedly “highly accurate” predictions are revisions and corrections to his past (and now apparently not so highly accurate) prognostications. 
    techconcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    Title says MB Air OLED - but the article contradicts and says Mini LED.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    “Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects...”

Seriously, are you contractually obligated to pump Kuo’s reputation when citing his reports? It’s just weird, especially when so many of his supposedly “highly accurate” predictions are revisions and corrections to his past (and now apparently not so highly accurate) prognostications. 
    Making revisions about prior statements is something that analysts do when they get more information. They don't simply say "it is X" and walk away, never to return. 

And if one wants to bib-dribble about quoting the same person, that's more of an issue with this person named John Prosser, who is regularly quoted in multiple blog entries on this site. 
    AppleZuluGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    “Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects...”

Making revisions about prior statements is something that analysts do when they get more information. They don't simply say "it is X" and walk away, never to return. 

And if one wants to bib-dribble about quoting the same person, that's more of an issue with this person named John Prosser, who is regularly quoted in multiple blog entries on this site. 
    I have no problems with Kuo being a frequent source, nor do I have problems with Kuo revising his pronouncements. My question is about the laudatory descriptors of Kuo that are with great regularity included (on this and other sites) when reporting on his analyses. It’s quite oddly noticeable to the extent that it appears to be a very intentional effort to promote Kuo’s reputation. 

It’s a tried and true propaganda technique. If people read often enough that he’s a noted analyst who is reliable, highly accurate, and better than the other analysts, it starts to be taken as a given. Nobody bothers to look back and note how many things Kuo may have gotten wrong, much less how that compares to anyone else. 

I’ve even seen other commenters here preface criticisms of Kuo with acknowledgement of the apparently given fact that he’s highly accurate and better than average. It’s just weird. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I’ve even seen other commenters here preface criticisms of Kuo with acknowledgement of the apparently given fact that he’s highly accurate and better than average. It’s just weird. 
    Not a very high bar to leap over, it must be said. I understand your frustration, I guess initially he was better than the likes of Prosser, and people started labelling him as such, and it’s a habit. Same with that liveyourdream character, always gets an honorific too.

anyway, I believe there is some website that tracks reliability of these leaker/ rumour mongers, and Kuo is apparently OK!
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    entropys said:
    Not a very high bar to leap over, it must be said. I understand your frustration, I guess initially he was better than the likes of Prosser, and people started labelling him as such, and it’s a habit. Same with that liveyourdream character, always gets an honorific too.

anyway, I believe there is some website that tracks reliability of these leaker/ rumour mongers, and Kuo is apparently OK!
    What website would that be?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    OLED is not gonna happen. What we will see is miniLED then microLED. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    AppleZulu said:
    entropys said:

https://appletrack.org/leaderboard/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    entropys said:

So, 10th most accurate of 18 scored. That’s not even above average. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    entropys said:

no, but you also have to consider the number of rumors and the timing. Kuo is a prolific prognosticator whereas several of the 'more accurate' sources not the list only have a handful of rumors/predictions. Timing is key, too. It's far easier to make a prediction the day before an announcement than it is to do so several weeks or months ahead of time. Many of kuo's predictions are months out, giving far more room for error.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That's nice.
    I wonder if it'll be able to compete against the Surface Pro?

It's great that artists can use an iPad to produce some incredible pictures.  But that's not what most people use them for.   More commonly it is for things like marking up a PowerPoint presentation, doing some math, signing a document, reading a newspaper, watching a video, social media, etc...  Those are all things you can do well on either an iPad or a Surface Pro.   But, while it is true that the iPad is better at all of those things, the Surface Pro can also do everything that a MacBook does.   Apple has no single product that can do what the Surface Pro does.   They could.  But, so far, they haven't.

muthuk_vanalingamcanukstorm
  • Reply 12 of 32
    MplsP said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    entropys said:

no, but you also have to consider the number of rumors and the timing. Kuo is a prolific prognosticator whereas several of the 'more accurate' sources not the list only have a handful of rumors/predictions. Timing is key, too. It's far easier to make a prediction the day before an announcement than it is to do so several weeks or months ahead of time. Many of kuo's predictions are months out, giving far more room for error.
    This is actually my point. When sites like this one use Kuo’s analyses, they appear to intentionally promote his reputation with direct or inferred claims about his “accuracy.” Claims are regularly made, but they don’t appear based on any objective measure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    d_2 said:
    Title says MB Air OLED - but the article contradicts and says Mini LED.
    No contradiction.  The rumors suggest the following:

iPad Air line is going OLED
    iPad Pro line is going mini-LED

This rightfully places OLED as the inferior technology.
    watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 14 of 32

It already does.
    It's great that artists can use an iPad to produce some incredible pictures.  But that's not what most people use them for.  
    Well, most people aren't artists, so it would make sense that most people don't use iPads for artistic work. In other words... Duh!
    But, while it is true that the iPad is better at all of those things, the Surface Pro can also do everything that a MacBook does.
    It's the same as it has been for years.  If you want a jack of all trades, but master of none, you can get a Surface Pro.  There is a place for the Swiss Army knife.  However, there is a reason we still have separate tools for dedicated knives, scissors, screw drivers, etc.  It turns out, people prefer to use dedicated tools as they provide the best user experience.  If I want the best tablet, I'm going to use an iPad.  If I want the best laptop, I'm going to use a MacBook.  At no point in time does the Surface Pro ever tempt me to switch.  
    AppleZuluwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 15 of 32
    techconc said:

It already does.
    It's great that artists can use an iPad to produce some incredible pictures.  But that's not what most people use them for.  
    Well, most people aren't artists, so it would make sense that most people don't use iPads for artistic work. In other words... Duh!
    But, while it is true that the iPad is better at all of those things, the Surface Pro can also do everything that a MacBook does.
    It's the same as it has been for years.  If you want a jack of all trades, but master of none, you can get a Surface Pro.  There is a place for the Swiss Army knife.  However, there is a reason we still have separate tools for dedicated knives, scissors, screw drivers, etc.  It turns out, people prefer to use dedicated tools as they provide the best user experience.  If I want the best tablet, I'm going to use an iPad.  If I want the best laptop, I'm going to use a MacBook.  At no point in time does the Surface Pro ever tempt me to switch.  
    This is the same reason why Apple doesn't look at the Surface Pro and say, "Oooo. We need to do that!" It's at the very core (pun intended) of Apple's business model not to try to be all things to all people. Surface Pro combines tablet and notebook and runs Windows on it, which is an operating system designed to run on third-party hardware, with infinite variable tweaks and features. It's great customers have the option to get that if it's what they want, but that doesn't obligate Apple to toss out its own very successful approach in order to start copying a competitor's device that I'm pretty sure doesn't sell as well as Apple's devices do.
    techconcwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 16 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AppleZulu said:
    techconc said:

It already does.
    This is the same reason why Apple doesn't look at the Surface Pro and say, "Oooo. We need to do that!" It's at the very core (pun intended) of Apple's business model not to try to be all things to all people. Surface Pro combines tablet and notebook and runs Windows on it, which is an operating system designed to run on third-party hardware, with infinite variable tweaks and features. It's great customers have the option to get that if it's what they want, but that doesn't obligate Apple to toss out its own very successful approach in order to start copying a competitor's device that I'm pretty sure doesn't sell as well as Apple's devices do.
    LOL... the old false analogy of a Swiss Army knife....  OK....
    Why do you assume that being better at one thing makes you worse at another?
    That makes no sense -- or its an excuse.

The truth is, for example, my 8th grade grandson could not do his school work with just an iPad.  He could if he had a Surface Pro.

One can do the job.   The other can't.
    This is not rocket science
    canukstorm
  • Reply 17 of 32
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I have been thinking of updating my four year old iPadPro. I looked seriously at the iPad Air last fall, it does everything I need and is plenty fast but I decided to wait for the new iPP. I gotta say though if the 11 inch doesn’t get the mini LED screen, that leaves FaceID as the only feature that it has over the iPA. I mean for my use. I understand that some people might need the additional RAM and next gen chip, but it’s going to be a bit harder for me to justify the cost.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    techconc said:

It already does.

The truth is, for example, my 8th grade grandson could not do his school work with just an iPad.  He could if he had a Surface Pro.

So buy him a surface pro instead of insisting that Apple make one for you. 
    watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 19 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    techconc said:

It already does.

Also, I’m pretty sure Apple sells more MacBooks than Microsoft does Surface Pros and more iPads than Microsoft does Surface Pros, presumably because a lot more people like MacBooks and iPads. So please explain for the kids in the cheap seats why Apple would want to combine the two things into something that probably wouldn’t fill either niche as well, just so they could compete more directly with the lower-selling Surface Pro. Don’t forget to show your work. 
    edited March 2021 watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 20 of 32

It's actually a great analogy. The value of the Swiss Army knife is the versatility. It's not the best tool at ANY of the things it tries to do. However, that versatility is valuable to some people. It's the exact same with Surface Pro.

Let's talk about form factor for a moment. The point of a tablet is to have a light form factor. You don't hold it or use it like a laptop in most cases, though you can at times. The Surface Pro is nearly twice the weight. If you're into drawing, the stylus has more than 2x the latency, etc. On the iPad ALL software is optimized for that form factor. You're not trying to use desktop software for a touch / tablet environment. These are just examples of why the iPad provides a much better tablet experience.

As for laptop, look at the new MacBook Airs for example. They have greater performance and much better battery life. The M1 based MacBooks are just the beginning. The trackpads are also much nicer on the MacBooks. So, the Surface Pro isn't a better laptop either. Finally, my youngest is about the age of your Grandson. They have school supplied iPads and he's able to do his homework just fine on the iPad. Any claims that kids can't do their schoolwork on iPads would be based on some arbitrary decision of the school district. Given how nearly everything is web / cloud based these days claims that you need a PC are complete nonsense for the vast majority of the world. Many school districts are getting by just fine on Chomebooks which is less than an iPad or PC.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobraqwerty52