Intel takes aim at Apple, instead shoots itself in the dongle

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
It's clear that the ad wizards behind Intel's new "Go PC" campaign thought they were clever in hiring "Get a Mac" actor Justin Long to extol the virtues of Intel-based Windows PCs. If only they had thought of also giving him something clever to say.

The new "Go PC" campaign features commercials, website banners, and a new Intel page entitled "Apple M1 vs Intel -- Which Processor Is Right for You." Spoiler alert: Intel's idea of what's "right for you" has no real basis in reality.

There's a lot to pick apart from this campaign: battery life claims that are completely disconnected from countless independent real-world tests and comparisons; boasting about Windows-compatible games when users need an Nvidia or AMD graphics card (certainly not Intel integrated graphics) in order to play them; showing results with apps that require Rosetta 2, rather than native Apple Silicon apps, to skew the results in favor of Windows PCs.

But the most egregious, hilarious and/or sad (pick your adjective) attempt at a zinger is in Intel's failed attempt at a dunk on USB-C dongles. In a tweet sent out this week, Intel posted a picture of Long holding up a number of USB-C dongles tethered together, with the rhetorical question "Anyone know who these belong to?"

Why, yes, Intel, we do know who those USB-C accessories belong to: They're certified by the USB Implementation Forum, of which Intel is a board member.

In fact, Intel is such a big fan and supporter of USB-C that the company uses the exact same connector for its proprietary Thunderbolt cable. And the Thunderbolt 3 spec, which Intel created, is included in the USB 4 standard, which, wouldn't you know it, also uses the USB-C connector.

Even better, an ad spotlighting the campaign on the front page of Intel's website shows Long holding what appears to be a Dell XPS 13 laptop -- an Intel-based Windows PC that has two USB-C Thunderbolt ports, and no legacy USB-A ports.

Better not ditch those dongles just yet, Justin.

To be clear, there are some legitimate issues with Apple's currently limited M1 lineup of Macs spotlighted by Intel, including the fact that they only support a single external display. But that completely ignores the fact that M1 is Apple's entry-level processor, and more powerful Apple Silicon is expected to debut this year. Not to mention those who do need multiple external monitors can still buy a perfectly capable Mac with (you guessed it) an Intel processor.

No offense to Long -- he's a fine actor, and hey, a gig is a gig -- but Intel's "Go PC" campaign is little more than a casting stunt. I'd say it's all style and no substance, but suggesting there is any "style" to Intel's disjointed, aimless effort would be generous, to say the least.

The whole "using a competitor's spokesperson to flip the script" trope is nothing new in advertising -- in 2019, Sprint did it with the Verizon "Can You Hear Me Now?" guy. Sprint merged with T-Mobile less than a year later, and the Sprint brand name was retired. So how'd that campaign work out?

Intel's campaign, of course, is in response to the fact that Apple is moving its Mac platform away from Intel processors. At launch, the "Go PC" effort appears to be on a path to create the same level of "magic" that booking the Verizon guy conjured up for Sprint, before turning magenta from embarrassment.

The tagline for Intel's "Go PC" campaign is "Get Real." Perhaps these ads are more "real" than anyone realizes, revealing Intel as an outdated brand, stuck in the past, and not nearly as clever as the people behind it think it is.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Not at all sure what it has to do with the CPU, but there is kinda a point about the dongle debacle.
    fred1DavidEsratiMplsPwilliamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 88
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    entropys said:
    Not at all sure what it has to do with the CPU, but there is kinda a point about the dongle debacle.
    You know, other than the fact that there are all USB-C Windows laptops, and Intel was instrumental in the development of the physicality and protocol of the connector.

Besides that, still no. Computer users have been adapting since day one, and will continue to do so forever. 
    edited March 2021 jas99bloggerblognhugheschiaroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwilliamlondonmainyehcjdb8167
  • Reply 3 of 88
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    You know, other than the fact that there are all USB-C Windows laptops
    Yes, but there are also other Windows laptops.  There are no Apple laptops that are anything other than all USB-C.
    DavidEsratiMplsPdocno42lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 88
    "No offense to Long — he's a fine actor, and hey, a gig is a gig"

Did you see him in Galaxy Quest?? Or that Die Hard movie??
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 88
    entropys said:
    You know, other than the fact that there are all USB-C Windows laptops, and Intel was instrumental in the development of the physicality and protocol of the connector.

Besides that, still no. Computer users have been adapting since day one, and will continue to do so forever. 
    We are all victims of design choices or lack thereof, made 25 years ago, that have probably cost untold millions (billions?) of man-hours in lost productivity.  Billions of missed plugs every day, 5-10 seconds lost each is a lot of stupid time lost.

I realize we sort of have to do the Dongle Dance but I appreciate the sentiment in just wanting to force everybody to go USB-C.  If it were up to the PC bunch we would never lose USB-A, and probably would have taken even longer to get rid of Floppies and ROM drives
    killroymainyehcrandominternetpersonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 88
    entropys said:

All usb-c makes sense for ultra mobile form factors since it is the “do anything” port. USB-C represents the end of dongles since everything new is USB-C. The Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro have traditional ports. I’ve pretty much converted all my USB-A ports to low wattage USB-C ports with compact adaptors at this point anyway. I’ve put USB-C cables on all my drives, monitors, etc. I’d rather just have USB-C everywhere.
    edited March 2021 killroyradarthekatDetnatorlolliveruktechiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 88
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    "No offense to Long — he's a fine actor, and hey, a gig is a gig"

Did you see him in Galaxy Quest?? Or that Die Hard movie??
    No, I didn’t, but he was marvelous in Idiocracy where he played a stoned physician.
    OferWgkruegerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 88
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Apple has a way of making others trip up
    killroyradarthekatweirdsmithspock1234lkruppBeatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 88
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member

Reminds me of the 5 pin din plug for the TRS-80 cassette drive and how far computers have come.
    edited March 2021 killroyradarthekatFileMakerFellermainyehclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 88
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    I love the headline.
    roundaboutnowkillroybaconstangspock1234nhughescornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 88
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Intel should focus on winning the performance game vs AMD and Apple’s M1. Not doing these marketing stuff or dirty tricks against AMD.
    radarthekatbaconstangwilliamlondonmainyehclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 88
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    entropys said:

All usb-c makes sense for ultra mobile form factors since it is the “do anything” port. USB-C represents the end of dongles since everything new is USB-C. The Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro have traditional ports. I’ve pretty much converted all my USB-A ports to low wattage USB-C ports with compact adaptors at this point anyway. I’ve put USB-C cables on all my drives, monitors, etc. I’d rather just have USB-C everywhere.
    That’s lovely. Right up until your client hands you their stuff on a usba memory stick.
    MplsPtokyojimubaconstangdocno42williamlondoncommand_f
  • Reply 13 of 88
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    Just a Pity, 
    that we are likely not seeing any updated Intel MacBookPro's this year - 
    although Tim Cook had noted, that there are still some Intel Mac Updates in the Pipeline (!) 

However with this petty Advertising, Tim will likely show Intel the Middle Finger 
    and turbo boost the Roll-out of Apple Silicon, 
    so that he can say at WWDC2021 in the Summer - Transition completed ! ! !
    mainyehcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 88
    The M1 Mac mini will run two displays at the same time.
    1. One (and only one) connected via Thunderbolt 4
    2. One connected via HDMI
    radarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 88
    I hope it wakes the morons at Apple up.
    My 2020 Mac Book pro barely qualifies as pro.
    A "pro computer" that I need a dongle to hook up to an external projector, monitor or ethernet.
    A pro computer that ditched the brilliant mag safe power cable.
    A pro computer than no longer allows me to stick an SD card in it.
    A pro computer that requires a dongle to connect a USB A jump drive- the industry standard way of walking files.

And- they gouge me on the price of RAM, Storage by 3 to 10x what everyone else charges.
    With no user replaceable parts- and barely serviceable.

And that was my Intel machine.
    Now- my M1 MacMini- can't connect to my Drobo- which is a 72 TB paperweight.
    Gee - thanks Apple.
    baconstangdocno42nowayout11williamlondontobian
  • Reply 16 of 88
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    A "pro computer" that I need a dongle to hook up to an external projector, monitor or ethernet.
    A pro computer that requires a dongle to connect a USB A jump drive- the industry standard way of walking files.

And- they gouge me on the price of RAM, Storage by 3 to 10x what everyone else charges.

Gee - thanks Apple.
    So what you are saying is “I am a pro user who didn’t bother to do a single bit of research before making an important purchase for my business.”
    Buy the computer that will work best for you and your workflow. If the machine Apple makes won’t work well for you, why the hell did you buy it?
    killroychiaFidonet127radarthekatFileMakerFellerrundhvidweirdsmithDetnatorwilliamlondonhcrefugee
  • Reply 17 of 88
    I have 6 or 7 Windows laptops, and several MacBook laptops... I just gotta say, it is nothing new that the USB dongle situation is truly out of control for macs.  You need a dongle for everything... dongles dongles dongles... I don't have any dongles connected to any of my Windows PCs... why? Because PCs generally bother to put appropriate ports for things like HDMI, displayport, Ethernet, and USB-A.

And SO WHAT if you need an nVidia or AMD chip to play games decently on a Windows PC... AT LEAST YOU HAVE THE OPTION to purchase a machine with decent graphics and a decent CPU.  Some of Apple's most expensive machines have traditionally been lacking under the hood.  I've spent a good $6000 of a Windows PC before, sure.... but for that I got a PAIR of the best graphics cards money could buy and a 32-core/64-thread CPU... and hard-tube liquid cooling.  I don't know if anyone has made a 32-core or 64-core ARM chip... but if I'm wrong, educate me.
    MplsPdocno42cgWerks
  • Reply 18 of 88
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    Imtel now has it own Jar Jar Binks .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 88
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member

Gee - thanks Apple.
    Your M1 MacMini has integrated RAM so Apple did not gouge you on your RAM costs. The M1 containing Macs are more affordable than the Intel models they replace.  So what is the issue?  Surely as a pro user, you knew when you bought new technology that there would be compatibility issues, right?
    killroyrundhvidmcdavewilliamlondonhcrefugeespock1234Beatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 88
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    entropys said:

At the same time, that’s the problem. Everything new is most definitely NOT USB C. The majority of peripherals are still USB A, monitors are HDMI and/or display port, and Ethernet is... Ethernet. 

What an ‘all USB C form factor’ does is force you to remember a bunch of extra dongles to do what many (most?) PC laptops can do on their own. Which is more convenient to take to a meeting - a computer that requires a bunch of extra dongles or one that requires nothing?
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangdocno42cgWerks