April iPad Pro, goodbye HomePod, plus how Apple leaks work on the AppleInsider podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, how Apple leaks really work, additional rumors of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro in an April event, and it's time to say goodbye to the original HomePod.

HomePod has been discontinued

After multiple sources claimed Apple would hold an event on March 23, no event invitations were issued in time and prominent leakers such as Jon Prosser admitted they had been wrong. Prosser now claims there will be an April Apple event to announce the new iPad Pro, which would be the first time in 10 years Apple has held an event in April.

Bloomberg added that the forthcoming iPad Pro models will be powered by a new A-series chip that will provide performance on-par with the M1. They also claim that mini-LED technology will come to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro and the lineup could introduce new internal technologies such as Thunderbolt connectivity.

This is all based on leaks and industry sources, and knowing what to give credence to has become a skill. We talk about the whole culture of leaks around Apple news, and also what the process looks like behind the scenes.

Apple didn't leak that it is discontinuing the original HomePod in favor of the more popular HomePod mini, it just came out and said it. In an official statement Apple said, "We are focusing our efforts on HomePod mini" going on to say the mini has "been a hit since its debut last fall".

The original HomePod's pricing of $350 and its niche appeal most likely contributed to limited popularity. But without a high-quality speaker, its demise leaves a gap in the Apple ecosystem when we consider sound quality, HomeKit, Shortcuts, and Siri. We discuss the possibility of Apple introducing another high-end speaker in the future or whether HomePod was truly the last of its kind.

Then Intel has launched a series of ads with former "I'm a Mac" actor Justin Long promoting Windows computers. While some of these 30-second videos hold some truth, the coming launch of Apple Silicon Macs and rumored iMac refresh would render many of these ads obsolete.

At the end of the show we ask listeners for guidance on iPad storage issues when producing videos in iMovie. Given limited storage on iPad, we look for ways to retrieve an iMovie project without deleting the source videos.

If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @Hillitech, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .

Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.

Sponsored by:

Subscribe to AppleInsider on:

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Hmmm... I don't see the comment I made so I'll try reposting.

You know what would be cool.... put the M1X in a HomePod and include some ports to essentially make it into a great sounding Mac that would be good for gaming. Also give it the ability to pair with a second HomePod to up the processing power even more. Now you have a great sounding gaming console (I'm no gaming expert so I don't know how it would compare to an Xbox or PlayStation). But even if doesn't make a great gaming computer, it would be a great desktop computer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I am enjoying the HomePod Mini having bought two of them already and considering adding more. With regard to the Thread capability does this have any practical application at the present time or is it something for the future?
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Just noticed that OWC has the Space Grey ones in stock, at $270. Doesn’t say whether they’re refurbished. 
    edited March 2021