Apple stops selling 512GB, 1TB 21.5-inch 4K iMac options online

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2021
Apple has reduced the number of storage options available for the 21.5-inch iMac, with the removal of the 512 gigabyte and 1 terabyte flash options potentially a sign changes are on the way for the product line.

On March 2, sources of AppleInsider familiar with the Apple supply chain said Apple had stopped producing the 512GB and 1TB SSD configurations for the iMac 4K. A few weeks later, Apple's website update for the 4K iMac has removed the ability to buy those two variants.

The update to the online Apple Store now only lists options for the 256GB SSD and 1TB Fusion Drive. Spotted by MacRumors, there is no option to select a 512GB SSD or a 1TB SSD on the page, customizations that were previously available.

Other options, including processor, GPU, and memory upgrades, are still available at this time.

Apple's configuration options for the 21.5-inch iMac
Apple's configuration options for the 21.5-inch iMac

The removal of the storage options follow shortly after Apple pulled the iMac Pro from the website completely, officially discontinuing the model in the process. It was previously available "while supplies last."

It is rumored that Apple could be preparing to bring out an updated iMac with Apple Silicon. A report file in the Xcode Crash Reporter on March 17 included references to an Apple Silicon iMac.

Earlier reports also claimed changes were on the way to the lineup, which could include alterations in appearance ranging from the use of "iPad Pro design language" to "Pro Display-like bezels."

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Just had a thought ... could apple offer an M1 iMac/iPad hybrid with detachable iPad screen?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    cndgoose said:
    Just had a thought ... could apple offer an M1 iMac/iPad hybrid with detachable iPad screen?
    This is basically an iPad running Mac OS X.
    entropys
  • Reply 3 of 35
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    What about the 27”?  Anything running out of stock yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    It’s looking more and more like the entire iMac lineup is going to be refreshed in April! It’s a bit odd that they are leaving some configurations but not others, though.

cndgoose said:
    I doubt it - that would make the most sense for a 12-13” MacBook style computer but Apple has been solidly against the convertible form factor in the past. There’s also the issue with the operating system...
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 35
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    Can’t wait for the 23rd!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    OK, so here it is: Apple is putting an M1 (M1X?) chip in the 24 inch redesigned iMac, to be released this spring.

The 27 inch iMac will be renewed later this year with more powerful Apple silicone, and replace both the normal iMac and iMac Pro models.
    edited March 2021 d_2Fidonet127patchythepirateseanjOferdanox
  • Reply 7 of 35
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    I suspect this has half to do with Covid causing global chip shortages and the new iMacs, just ask Sony and Microsoft about chip shortages, they can't make enough new gen consoles. 
    Apple really needs to launch those new iMacs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    tronaldtronald Posts: 36member
    cndgoose said:
    Apple does kind of sell that. They sell a MacBook that can run iPad apps, and they sell an iPad that can operate relatively seamlessly with documents and applications stored from and running on your Mac. I go back and forth between my iPad, my MacBook and my iMac fairly frequently without all that much friction. Further, the iPad can serve as a MacBook second screen that supports touch (albeit poorly). It just costs $600 more than a MacBook alone. So, the minimum price to buy into that level of the Apple ecosystem is not light on the pocketbook. 

Applications still need to catch up with the model, but one of my primary uses for switching around between devices is Word, and Microsoft very much seems to get the gist of the Apple operating model (which is also very much in keeping with Microsoft's current cloud-driven and subscription-based model). Adobe is slowly getting there, too, but it still has a ways to go, and it probably needs a better way of sharing larger files between devices which is something Microsoft doesn't have to think about as much. Apple is of course already surprisingly seamless, with Safari, TextEdit, Notes, Reminders, Music, Documents, Desktop, passwords, copy/paste, its productivity suite, and plenty more all running about as well on multiple devices (and types of devices) as they run on just one. They probably need to think more about Logic and Final Cut (which also suffer from the file size problem), but even those applications have some nice features for utilizing both device types simultaneously with an iPad providing a virtual touch-based control surface. Further, Garage Band and iMovie work across devices pretty well (though the iPad variant of iMovie is currently pretty underwhelming), and both can serve as starting points for work that is eventually pulled in to Logic and Final Cut.

I do sometimes find myself wanting to touch the screen on my Laptop after spending a bit too long using my iPad for editing something, but the trackpad really is such a better experience for use with macOS that I don't find it that much of a bother switching back. I really don't want to see macOS itself burdened with having to have a compelling touch interface, but there are a few apps that would benefit. Those apps, though, could probably start supporting use of an iPad as a second display, perhaps even as keyword/touch-display combo. 

What I want to see is seamless use of multiple devices in my house for very large files or very large collections of files, without having to transfer through the cloud as an intermediary. That is the one place where hybrids have a serious advantage. It seems entirely fixable, though. Wi-Fi exists everywhere, is fast enough (it is at this point faster than disk drives) and Apple has figured out how to establish convenient and secure connections within a home network. Come on Apple! Solve this one!

Could Apple make a convertible that supports going back and forth between a macOS-style interaction model when a keyboard and touchpad are attached and an iOS-style interaction model when detached? Yes, and their current Xcode application development model could actually make that work surprisingly well sometimes. But, there is a lot more that differentiates a touch-friendly device from a lap or desk friendly one. A big one is that a touch interface probably shouldn't be larger than around 11 inches, but a laptop probably shouldn't be less than 13 or 14 and computer on a desk really shouldn't be less than 24. So, a compromise device is going to suck at one of its use cases. 
    edited March 2021 gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 35
    I never thought i would say this but I am almost over Apple. The crap storage capacities they sell are a joke. 256GB for any $1000 plus machine is ridiculous. Also upgrade charges for larger SSDs are horrible. Apple is becoming a Joke when it comes to cost weighed against value. Do not get me wrong, they have the best Software and Hardware but the cost of RAM and Storage space is a joke. Also the computers in 2021 still starting at 256 GB is laughable. I think I have one more Apple purchase in me, then I may look to move on.
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingamflyingdp80s_Apple_GuywilliamlondonOfer
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    this only makes sense if Apple launches a new iMac soon, probably sometime in the next 4 weeks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Tech607 said:
    I never thought i would say this but I am almost over Apple. The crap storage capacities they sell are a joke. 256GB for any $1000 plus machine is ridiculous. Also upgrade charges for larger SSDs are horrible. Apple is becoming a Joke when it comes to cost weighed against value. Do not get me wrong, they have the best Software and Hardware but the cost of RAM and Storage space is a joke. Also the computers in 2021 still starting at 256 GB is laughable. I think I have one more Apple purchase in me, then I may look to move on.
    Unfortunately I agree with you.

Some of the costs for hardware make it difficult to not feel offended. 

Apple has always walked the line maximising revenue while not making customers feel they are being taken advantage of. I think over the last few years the line has been crossed and they need to reset again. 

HDD survived for far too long, as have the low storage options and RAM options. Undeniably to aid Apple’s bottom line but it’s been at the expense of customers best interests. 

For a company which cares so much about it’s environmental responsibility. They seem to miss how much junk they’ve produced.  I’ve seen and retired so many junk machines a couple of years old with capped 128GB storage etc. 

Though I won’t be making the change, although I feel they are past the line. The alternative is a lot worse and an option I wouldn’t consider. 
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonOfer
  • Reply 12 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    M1 or M1x or MX?

I expect the base model of the smallest will have the same 16GB M1 as the MBP. It would suck if it is an 8GB M1.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    entropys said:
    M1 or M1x or MX?

I expect the base model of the smallest will have the same 16GB M1 as the MBP. It would suck if it is an 8GB M1.
    If it’s the base model of the 21/24 then there’s no reason it has to have 16GB of shared memory, just like the Air, 13 and Mini.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    tronald said:
    Apple is of course already surprisingly seamless, with Safari, TextEdit, Notes, Reminders, Music, Documents, Desktop, passwords, copy/paste, its productivity suite, and plenty more all running about as well on multiple devices (and types of devices) as they run on just one.
    Does Music work overall? I still couldn’t figure out how to come home and continue to listen to the Music from my iPhone on my MacBook Pro or AppleTV…
    williamlondonOfer
  • Reply 15 of 35
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I’m not in the market for an iMac, but I’m dying to see what the M1X/M2 in my next MBP is going to look like...
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    MplsP said:
    It’s looking more and more like the entire iMac lineup is going to be refreshed in April! It’s a bit odd that they are leaving some configurations but not others, though.

cndgoose said:
    I doubt it - that would make the most sense for a 12-13” MacBook style computer but Apple has been solidly against the convertible form factor in the past. There’s also the issue with the operating system...
    They probably have been running out of supply for a while and now have fully depleted stock.  The other configurations will be following suit once the stock has been run down.

If you remember, you can already use an iPad as a second screen but I think that still needs to be wired.   What may be useful is to allow an iPad to be an input device for a Mac.  Connectivity via wireless would be needed for the required bandwidth.  

Here's hoping that they release an silicon iMac.  I really want a 16 inch MBP (actually 2) but will hold out for the new silicon versions.  They are going to be great.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    These have been out of stock for at least a few weeks by now. Helped my mom purchase a new iMac (she needed one right away and didn't care about waiting for the new processors, as much as I tried to convince her to wait) a few weeks ago and all that was available on Apple's website was the base storage on the iMac 21.5".

As far as the base storage being "a joke"...it may be inadequate for people like us, but most of Apple's customers people aren't people like us. For example, my dad hasn't used more than 80GB on the 256GB hard drive in his computer and he's had it for 12 years now. 256GB is just fine for what he does.
    edited March 2021 lkruppmike1mwhiteMisterKitthtfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 35
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Torn between replacing my ( increasingly banged up) iPad Pro or my mothballed iMac.  It would be good to have a desktop to host files and backup my iPads work.  It would be nice to be able to transfer legacy files still on my old 21” Intel iMac.  But I crave mini LED in a handhold-able format!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Tech607 said:
    Meanwhile Apple will continue to make machines for the rest of us that amaze and astound, like they always have. 
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    MplsP said:

Why is it odd? They'll leave them up until the announcement/availability of the new models or until they're sold out.
    mwhitefastasleepwatto_cobra