Apple may pay Samsung Display over reduced OLED iPhone 12 mini panel orders

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung Display could be paid by Apple over lower than anticipated OLED panel orders due to slow iPhone 12 mini sales, according to industry observers, an event that has happened a few times before.

Apple enters into agreements with its supply chain partners to secure optimal pricing for components. Sometimes, this involves contracts where Apple guarantees a minimum number of units to be ordered, and occasionally it cannot meet those requirements.

Anonymous industry observers speaking to The Korea Herald claim that such a situation has arisen in Apple's relationship with Samsung Display.

It is inferred that Samsung's reduced global OLED shipments for January of 45 million units was down 9% month-to-month, with slower sales of the iPhone 12 mini blamed for the reduction. Samsung is the only supplier of the 5.4-inch OLED panel used in that particular model.

Due to this presumed shortfall, the observers believe Apple could have to provide Samsung with compensation for failing to achieve the minimum expected sales for that model.

"It is uncertain whether Apple would pay a penalty to Samsung Display, but considering its contract history and sluggish sales of the iPhone 12 mini, it is likely that Apple will compensate Samsung Display," said an anonymous source.

Paying compensation to Samsung Display for a lack of orders isn't new to Apple, as it has done so at least twice in the past.

In 2019, Apple paid an estimated $684 million in compensation to Samsung Display over lower-than-anticipated OLED panel orders. The same situation arose in 2020, with the payment on that occasion thought to be in the region of $950 million.

The value of compensation this time around wasn't speculated, but it is likely to be quite high given previous payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    If Apple would just make the iPhone 12 mini a "Pro" model with stainless steel, it would fix the issue.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet more proof that the ‘smaller is better’ crowd are outliers in the Apple ecosystem. Apple customers want big phones and big screens. Apple listened to the small phone cabal and got burned. 
    edited March 2021 canukstormdewme
  • Reply 3 of 6
    It may well be true that people want bigger devices but the reason I didn’t go mini, and I really wanted to, was the battery life. If Apple can sort that then I will be first in line for a smaller footprint phone. Ironically working from home for the last year has made battery life pretty much a non issue, but these devices are not cheap and so why compromise on something so fundamental!
    muthuk_vanalingampulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    lkrupp said:
    Yet more proof that the ‘smaller is better’ crowd are outliers in the Apple ecosystem. Apple customers want big phones and big screens. Apple listened to the small phone cabal and got burned. 
    If sales of iPhone 12 have been that bad I wonder if it's even worth it for Apple to having an iPhone 13 (or iPhone 12S) mini.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    They probably would have sold more 12 minis if they hadn't diluted the market with the SE 2 a few months prior.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lkrupp said:
    I do not think this is the case.
    As
    mobird said:
    If Apple would just make the iPhone 12 mini a "Pro" model with stainless steel, it would fix the issue.
    I think it boils down to the mini not being a “pro” phone.  I was torn between the mini and the 12 pro, but opted for the mini for the smaller size.  If there pro features were in the mini, there would’ve been no quandary.  I’ve said this on occasion, that I think they need to simplify their line up and drop the “pro” altogether.  For example, just have a 12 mini, a 12, and a 12 max (which would retain the best camera).  For those looking for a cheaper model, get last years model or the SE. My gut says the “mini” crowd is torn between the smaller pro and the mini (I almost went with the pro for the SS finish, better camera module/lidar, more memory, but the size trumped in the end).  I bet these features would sway many away from the mini, as they are not getting all the bells and whistles.
    watto_cobrabaconstang