Apple turns its Pages, Numbers, Keynote apps up to 11

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2021
Apple has updated its iWork suite of apps to version 11.0, with the iOS and macOS versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote making changes to the Arrange inspector to make it easier to design your documents.

Updated on Tuesday, the version 11.0 update applies to both the iOS and macOS versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Updates are starting to become available in the App Store for iPhone and iPad, and also in the Mac App Store.

For the iOS iWork versions, all three include the same core additions, with precise editing controls for the Arrange inspector available to adjust the look and placement of objects. Onscreen keypads are also available for entering exact values for text sizes, spacing, table sizes, and other elements.

Users also have the ability to add and remove objects or table cells from a selection by tapping and dragging across them. A setting is also available to automatically open documents in edit mode. Lastly, all apps give the option to add phone number links to text objects, shapes, and table cells.

Numbers has the added option to exclude the summary worksheet when exporting a spreadsheet to Microsoft Excel.

The macOS variants gain an improved media browser, which includes enhanced search options and extra content categories, including Recents, Portraits, and Live Photos. An AppleScript function for changing document passwords and to open documents protected by passwords is also included, along with the phone number link additions.

The iOS apps all require iOS or iPadOS 13.1 or later in order to function. The macOS versions are compatible with all Macs, but needs macOS 10.15 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Love Pages and Keynote. They’re both so intuitive and versatile — I use them mostly on iPad, hardly ever on iPhone or Mac. Never use Numbers, other than for opening Excel documents from time to time. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 29
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    And still they offer Garage Band update not suitable for my computer - stays there saying that i cannot update because i don’t have Big Sur…
    lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I still have the feeling that Apple is not really working on iWork to make it something to replace MS Office. 
    patchythepirateelijahg
  • Reply 4 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I use Numbers to make charts of my heart rate (from my Apple Watch) and blood pressure (which I enter manually into the Health app), which I then send to my doctor. In order to get the health data into a spreadsheet, I had to get one of those free apps that reads your health data and enters it into a spreadsheet. It's amazing that Apple doesn't let you read your own health data without a third party app.
    roundaboutnowright_said_fredGeorgeBMacFidonet127
  • Reply 5 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I use Numbers to make charts of my heart rate (from my Apple Watch) and blood pressure (which I enter manually into the Health app), which I then send to my doctor. In order to get the health data into a spreadsheet, I had to get one of those free apps that reads your health data and enters it into a spreadsheet. It's amazing that Apple doesn't let you read your own health data without a third party app.
    Slightly OT.
    Last week I got an Omron Series 10 BP gauge because it would automatically enter data into the Health App. I started to set it up and discovered that it does so, after first sending any and all health data to their servers in the US, (I’m not). They even say as part of their EULA that they will work with 3rd party companies to use the data for tracking, tracing, and marketing. I closed up the box and returned it instantly. Seems like most all of the connected BP gauges do that. Really p****s me off.
    /OT
    right_said_fredsphericGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Love Pages and Keynote. They’re both so intuitive and versatile — I use them mostly on iPad, hardly ever on iPhone or Mac. Never use Numbers, other than for opening Excel documents from time to time. 
    I use both Numbers and Excel. Work uses Excel, but I use Numbers personally. To me the multiple tables-based layout in Numbers is vastly superior to the single-table sheet in Excel. I can crest so much nicer worksheets when they aren’t all tied to the layout of a single table. 
    jas99Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

I still have the feeling that Apple is not really working on iWork to make it something to replace MS Office. 
    They’re different tools. iWork is designed primarily for individuals. Office is designed for...office use. Different audiences, different ways of working. The ease of use in iWork is preferable to me than Office. But if I have to build a document with VBA & form elements, Office is that tool.
    CloudTalkinjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    DAalseth said:
    Slightly OT.
    Last week I got an Omron Series 10 BP gauge because it would automatically enter data into the Health App. I started to set it up and discovered that it does so, after first sending any and all health data to their servers in the US, (I’m not). They even say as part of their EULA that they will work with 3rd party companies to use the data for tracking, tracing, and marketing. I closed up the box and returned it instantly. Seems like most all of the connected BP gauges do that. Really p****s me off.
    /OT
    Furthermore, when I got my newest CPAP machine last year, I noticed that by default it was sending data to some external server (probably not even in my country.) And even worse, it was doing that by an LTE signal that wasn't even mine. Apparently it has some sort of pre-paid LTE device allowing small amounts of data to be sent without using my wifi or my cellular data connection! I contacted my government privacy authority to tell them, but they didn't respond. I don't think they understand technology.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    DAalseth said:
    Slightly OT.
    /OT
    EXACTLY!

I had an older Omron that used BT to add BP to health app.  They updated the app and it required an online account and uploading your health data to the cloud.  That's when I stopped using it and tell everyone else that they should not buy Omron. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    LOL, well, that’s funny.
    I just checked and the Pages and Numbers updates are available on my iPhone, where I use them maybe once or twice a year to check a document. They’re not available for my iPad where I use them every day for hours at a time. 
    I’ll check back later. 
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No one ever said they were. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I use both Numbers and Excel. Work uses Excel, but I use Numbers personally. To me the multiple tables-based layout in Numbers is vastly superior to the single-table sheet in Excel. I can crest so much nicer worksheets when they aren’t all tied to the layout of a single table. 
    Numbers open Excel spreadsheets much faster than Excel. It is delightful !
    jas99rundhvidGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    n2macsn2macs Posts: 87member
    DAalseth said:
    Slightly OT.
    /OT
    Furthermore, when I got my newest CPAP machine last year, I noticed that by default it was sending data to some external server (probably not even in my country.) And even worse, it was doing that by an LTE signal that wasn't even mine. Apparently it has some sort of pre-paid LTE device allowing small amounts of data to be sent without using my wifi or my cellular data connection! I contacted my government privacy authority to tell them, but they didn't respond. I don't think they understand technology.
    My CPAP also has Built in LTE. The service is used to send the CPAP data to your doctor and insurance provider. I don’t have to carry the CPAP machine or the sim card to my doctor appointments. The info. is at the office when I get there. I wouldn’t worry about it. Hackers don’t care about your breathing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    n2macs said:
    DAalseth said:
    Slightly OT.
    /OT
    My CPAP also has Built in LTE. The service is used to send the CPAP data to your doctor and insurance provider. I don’t have to carry the CPAP machine or the sim card to my doctor appointments. The info. is at the office when I get there. I wouldn’t worry about it. Hackers don’t care about your breathing.

Yup, it's the insurance providers who are pressing this issue to verify that you're actually using the machine. I assume the insurers don't want to pay (even a portion of) the cost of consumables if you're not using the machine regularly. If you have an SD card in your machine you can pop it it out and look at the data logs to see what it is recording. In all likelihood they're just ascii text files. I think that once you see the logs you'll no longer be concerned about it leaking any personal information that anyone other than your sleep doc cares about. It's just usage and settings data. One upside of having the modem is that if you need a pressure adjustment after a sleep study they can push the new settings to your machine remotely and verify that the change took place.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    n2macs said:
    DAalseth said:
    Slightly OT.
    /OT
    You are correct. But one of my concerns was that the data was being sent to some third party without the CPAP retailer even telling me about this fact. And there's more information than just my breathing, because my CPAP provider, who has access to this data, almost certainly added personal details to my online data storage, like my name and address. And it's also likely this this data is stored on some servers in a remote country, and the data is probably readable by the storage provider. I'm not even sure it's legal for anyone, including my doctor, to store an individual's health care data on servers outside of my country.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Yeah, it would be nice if everyone would agree on a standard interchange format that's easy to parse. Given a vote, I'd probably pick JSON because Excel can handle JSON easily. Not sure about Numbers, but I've always been able to make whatever I've done in Excel work in Numbers, except VBA crap.

These interoperability problems tend to get resolved in the business world through standardization committees like IEC. It's usually a costly and time consuming effort. Other than some dedicated volunteers, open source projects, or a benevolent consumer products company who's willing to do the work and give it away, I don't really know how interoperability gets addressed in the consumer products domain.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or Big Sur only...

Is the mac any longer the computer for the rest of us, or increasingly the few of us...?

Has Apple dropped support to 17 months?

Is Big Sur less than 6 months 'out of beta' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

I've loaded Linux and looking at everything open source moving forward.

Is macOS increasingly sustainable or intractable...?

For consideration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unjust_enrichment (let the flames fly) ?

edited March 2021 charlesatlaselijahg
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    That's it ?!?
    A media browser, phone links and password tweak for a full number revision ?!?
    They’re different tools. iWork is designed primarily for individuals. Office is designed for...office use. Different audiences, different ways of working. The ease of use in iWork is preferable to me than Office. But if I have to build a document with VBA & form elements, Office is that tool.
    Agreed although I can't disagree much with zimmerman.
    That's exactly my use case, tables as an elegant movable object in Numbers and Excel at work in close conjunction with MS Access for import & exporting to & from users with VBA for some validation, automation and formatting. I really like Numbers for personal use but I do miss VBA-like functionality although I've not yet got into AppleScript, it's a bigger leap for me whereas most of my work involves a lot of VBA in Access. I also use Pages but stil have go to the older pre-web compatible version when I need to find and replace special characters for cleanups (or do it in Word). Any revision is always welcome of course but his almost featureless full number revision is disconcerting as it makes me wonder if they will ever bring that feature over … along with many other missing things.
    edited March 2021 rundhvid
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I’m not sure if I’m managing my expectations right, but I was pretty disappointed when I recently tried making a presentation on keynote for the first time. Keynote was actually kind of crappy and frustrating. A simple thing like setting a custom background color for all the slides doesn’t seem possible. You have to make a separate ‘master slide’ for each slide format (eg blank vs outline slide). How does Apple not include such a simple feature?? And the auto sizing of the text boxes is pretty crappy. The bulleting is limited and crappy to use. It’s hard to fine tune things. I’m not trying to do anything complicated. Very frustrating. I’ve always felt annoyed that I was stuck with windows crap bc of work, and in this instance I’m now stuck with windows crap bc it’s somehow better than apples crap. It feels like a gd insult from Apple every time I try to stay in the ecosystem bc I’m in love with the hardware and OS, then they screw the users over with shitty services. At least the Apple Music playlists have gotten way better, although the social features are still useless (in their most social app). What tf is Apple doing??
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 29
    willettwillett Posts: 27member
    After years of using PowerPoint, I now  use and greatly prefer Keynote.  The problems you are having sound like learning curve.  Most of the things you mention are easier in Keynote, in my experience.
    watto_cobra