Apple turns its Pages, Numbers, Keynote apps up to 11

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    willett said:
    After years of using PowerPoint, I now  use and greatly prefer Keynote.  The problems you are having sound like learning curve.  Most of the things you mention are easier in Keynote, in my experience.
    I could see how you might think that, but I’m not convinced that’s the case. There’s only so many option windows, right clicks, and edit columns one can try. Given that it’s Apple, I was expecting more simplicity than PowerPoint, but even something as simple as selecting text for editing (eg changing font size, color, etc) is horribly executed, and it takes multiple clicks just to rearrange a text box or picture. I was also expecting less editing options, but it’s like a 10 fold difference relative to PowerPoint, with tons of wasted space in the editing areas. It’s kind of a joke, actually. I hate windows. And the IT department at the institutions I work at (actually) hate me for complaining all the time about how terrible windows is. But this is inexcusable on apple’s part, especially given all the time and resources available at this point in Apple’s journey.. Consistently, Apple basically doesn’t give a flying duck about its services (please excuse my ‘fowl’ language, lol), and by extension, its users, which is totally antithetical to the way Apple creates its hardware and OS. I’ve been perplexed by this issue for a while now. Very frustrating. 
    edited March 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 29
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I can't believe nobody caught the subtle This Is Spinal Tap link. You know my amp is better than your because my volume control goes up to 11 where most only go up to 10.

edited March 2021 sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    riverko said:
    And still they offer Garage Band update not suitable for my computer - stays there saying that i cannot update because i don’t have Big Sur…
    Nice off-topic rant. FWIW there is a solution to get that Garage Band offer to go away. You should look into it.
    Detnator
  • Reply 24 of 29

I still have the feeling that Apple is not really working on iWork to make it something to replace MS Office. 
    No matter what Apple does it will not replace Office, ever. Like Windows, Office has become the worldwide standard. Sad reality but true as ever. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    willett said:
    After years of using PowerPoint, I now  use and greatly prefer Keynote.  The problems you are having sound like learning curve.  Most of the things you mention are easier in Keynote, in my experience.
    I could see how you might think that, but I’m not convinced that’s the case. There’s only so many option windows, right clicks, and edit columns one can try. Given that it’s Apple, I was expecting more simplicity than PowerPoint, but even something as simple as selecting text for editing (eg changing font size, color, etc) is horribly executed, and it takes multiple clicks just to rearrange a text box or picture. I was also expecting less editing options, but it’s like a 10 fold difference relative to PowerPoint, with tons of wasted space in the editing areas. It’s kind of a joke, actually. I hate windows. And the IT department at the institutions I work at (actually) hate me for complaining all the time about how terrible windows is. But this is inexcusable on apple’s part, especially given all the time and resources available at this point in Apple’s journey.. Consistently, Apple basically doesn’t give a flying duck about its services (please excuse my ‘fowl’ language, lol), and by extension, its users, which is totally antithetical to the way Apple creates its hardware and OS. I’ve been perplexed by this issue for a while now. Very frustrating. 
    Then leave the platform for god’s sake. Your screed makes it perfectly clear you now hate Apple with unbridled passion. You declared them unethical. Why would anyone continue to do business with a company the find unethical, always screwing over their customers? People like you seem irrational on a dangerous level. It’s worse than being a fanboy actually. 
    jony0Detnator
  • Reply 26 of 29
    lkrupp said:
    willett said:
    Then leave the platform for god’s sake. Your screed makes it perfectly clear you now hate Apple with unbridled passion. You declared them unethical. Why would anyone continue to do business with a company the find unethical, always screwing over their customers? People like you seem irrational on a dangerous level. It’s worse than being a fanboy actually. 
    “My screed”? I hate Apple? I’m “dangerous”??? 

Wow, lol. Funny how all you do is personally attack me, while ignoring any points I’m trying to make. 

It’s unbelievable how sensitive people are that they can’t tolerate a different opinion, so they have to make assumptions about another person, then double down and escalate things further by making claims like I’m ‘dangerous’ somehow. Kinda sad. 
    edited March 2021 muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    lkrupp said:
    willett said:
    “My screed”? I hate Apple? I’m “dangerous”??? 

Wow, lol. Funny how all you do is personally attack me, while ignoring any points I’m trying to make. 

It’s unbelievable how sensitive people are that they can’t tolerate a different opinion, so they have to make assumptions about another person, then double down and escalate things further by making claims like I’m ‘dangerous’ somehow. Kinda sad. 
    You were both equally unfriendly and equally flamboyant in your claims.

A tolerant, polite voice can potentially be louder and more forceful than a screaming one.

Hannibal Lecter was exceptionally scary even when he was whispering very softly. 
    Detnator
  • Reply 28 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    I use Numbers to make charts of my heart rate (from my Apple Watch) and blood pressure (which I enter manually into the Health app), which I then send to my doctor. In order to get the health data into a spreadsheet, I had to get one of those free apps that reads your health data and enters it into a spreadsheet. It's amazing that Apple doesn't let you read your own health data without a third party app.
    Well they do — you can export all of your health data directly from the Health app, but it's in XML format — so you'd need to open/convert it with something other than Numbers first to get it into that. I think Excel can convert XML to an XLS. :) There are better third party apps for this though. 
  • Reply 29 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or Big Sur only...

Is the mac any longer the computer for the rest of us, or increasingly the few of us...?

Has Apple dropped support to 17 months?

Is Big Sur less than 6 months 'out of beta' ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

I've loaded Linux and looking at everything open source moving forward.

Is macOS increasingly sustainable or intractable...?

For consideration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unjust_enrichment (let the flames fly) ?

New software very very often requires the latest or latest two versions of macOS, whether made by Apple or not. They do not owe you bespoke iWork updates for your 2+ year old version, which will continue to work just fine as is.

Please go to Linux. Walk towards the light.
    edited March 2021 Detnator