English teenager suffers facial burns after iPhone charger catches fire

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2021
A 17-year-old received burns to her cheek after her iPhone charger caught her blanket on fire.

English teenager suffers facial burns after iPhone charger catches fire

On March 18, Amie Hall, who resides in Birmingham, England, plugged in her iPhone to charge before heading to bed. Just before falling asleep, she noticed "flashing orange" flames on her blanket.

The flames had caught her blanket on fire and left her with a minor burn to her cheek. Hall was able to run downstairs and seek the help of her mother, who could extinguish the fire without the aid of firefighters.

"There was no need for the fire service to attend as my mom had managed to put the fire out herself," Hall told Birmingham Mail. "I would just like to spread the word to please make sure people take note - it could have been a lot worse."

Hall posted pictures of her burns to Facebook to warn others not to leave their phone to charge overnight.

It's not currently known what caused the fire. Birmingham Mail says that the charger consisted of an Apple charging cable and another brand's charging plug, but Hall states otherwise.

"This isn't even a cheap charger, it's an Apple charger," she wrote on Facebook. "Please don't go to bed and leave your phone charging overnight."

Apple is currently investigating the cause of the fire. The company suggests that all iPhone users review safe charging standards. Users are told not to charge the iPhone in areas where moisture could be present or in poorly ventilated spaces, which could cause the charger to overheat or throw sparks.

Apple also suggests that users regularly inspect their charging equipment to ensure that it is not damaged and point out that users can take questionable equipment to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation.

In 2019, an Australian scientist suffered second-degree burns when his year-old iPhone X exploded in his pocket while at work. He is currently seeking compensation for his injuries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Not the full story.  They will very likely find that the cable was damaged prior to the fire - a pet chewed through the insulation, partially broken etc.
    edited March 2021 williamlondonspock1234magman1979StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    More clickbait. With literally billions of Apple chargers and cables out there something like this is bound to happen from time to time. Can’t wait for the usual suspects to come in here and pontificate about Apple’s ‘cheaply made yet overpriced’ cables and chargers.

The mother claims it was an Apple charger and an Apple cable. They may well be but what if it turns out both were counterfeits? There are millions upon millions of counterfeit Apple gear too. But as we will likely never hear about this again.

Finally, when something like this happens in the U.S. it's like winning the lottery. Personal injury lawyers would be pounding on her door with business cards in hand.
    williamlondonBeatsmagman1979StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Not in relation to this event as I don’t know the details here.
    But there are a lot of counterfeit Apple-branded chargers being casually sold in otherwise reputable looking stores. During my last trip to London I was in search of a charger and it opened my eyes to how prevalent they are - so many mobilephone stores had fake “apple” chargers (each between £5-10.)
    I only found a real one in a branch of one of the leading mobile providers. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22

The law of unintended consequences -  not putting a charger in every product is likely to increase the number of cheap and maybe poor quality products. Although other companies substandard products are not really Apples problem.

tenthousandthingsprismaticsllamamac_doglkruppmagman1979muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    users can take questionable equipment to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation.

I didn't know about this service. I wonder what they do.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 6 of 22
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    crowley said:
    users can take questionable equipment to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for evaluation.

I didn't know about this service. I wonder what they do.

I believe Apple examines the questionable equipment and then provides options to get genuine charges and cables from the store itself and Apple I'm sure keep the questionable equipment to find where it was sold and such and if counterfeit to stop it from being produced.

Just my thoughts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:
    More clickbait. With literally billions of Apple chargers and cables out there something like this is bound to happen from time to time. Can’t wait for the usual suspects to come in here and pontificate about Apple’s ‘cheaply made yet overpriced’ cables and chargers.

The mother claims it was an Apple charger and an Apple cable. They may well be but what if it turns out both were counterfeits? There are millions upon millions of counterfeit Apple gear too. But as we will likely never hear about this again.

Finally, when something like this happens in the U.S. it's like winning the lottery. Personal injury lawyers would be pounding on her door with business cards in hand.

His mother probably thinks her Sammy Galaxy is an iPhone. It most likely is a knockoff iPhone cable.

And yes there’s about 10 billion of these in the world but still there has to be better tech. Magsafe charging?
    magman1979StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    I hope we eventually see the actual report from a root cause failure analysis. It bothers me that the presumptive cause and blame for these failures always makes a big splash at the onset, with all of the requisite finger pointing, chest thumping, and distain for the application of science and engineering method, but then it fades away and we never see the final report of what actually caused the failure. To be clear, all manufactured products have a non-zero failure rate, but let's see what the forensic analysis tells us about this one before jumping to a conclusion. Yeah, this is why I've been effectively banned from serving on juries.
    edited March 2021 magman1979StrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22

The law of unintended consequences -  not putting a charger in every product is likely to increase the number of cheap and maybe poor quality products. Although other companies substandard products are not really Apples problem.

Bullsht.
    StrangeDaysEsquireCats
  • Reply 10 of 22
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    The article doesn't make sense.

It states the CHARGER caught fire - not the cable & not the iPhone.  It states the charger fire caught the bed on fire.  

How do you plug in a charger on a bed, unless using an extension cord?  And if an extension cord is involved - that's more likely the culprit.
    magman1979jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    nicholfd said:
    The article doesn't make sense.

It states the CHARGER caught fire - not the cable & not the iPhone.  It states the charger fire caught the bed on fire.  

How do you plug in a charger on a bed, unless using an extension cord?  And if an extension cord is involved - that's more likely the culprit.
    Whatever, we’ll never know the outcome of this. The clickbait has done its job well.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Not the full story.  They will very likely find that the cable was damaged prior to the fire - a pet chewed through the insulation, partially broken etc.
    The part of the cable shown in the article looks pretty intact. I think it looks too intact to be the fire source - perhaps a bit of a split on the right side of the thicker part of the cable? The insulation looks like it has picked up soot from the fire, but not burned itself.

Anybody else thinking a vape pen might be involved?  ;)
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mknelson said:
    The part of the cable shown in the article looks pretty intact. I think it looks too intact to be the fire source - perhaps a bit of a split on the right side of the thicker part of the cable? The insulation looks like it has picked up soot from the fire, but not burned itself.

Anybody else thinking a vape pen might be involved?  ;)
    I agree but several feet of the cable is not shown and that could be where the prior damage occurred.

I had a genuine apple cable just “quit working” one day and upon inspection my cat had chewed through around the mid point and completely exposed bare wires.

Just one possibility among many.  Like others said it could also be a low quality knock off cable/charger.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    lkrupp said:

Isn't it true that iOS will detect an incompatible charger and refuse to work with it?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    tzeshan said:
    lkrupp said:

Isn't it true that iOS will detect an incompatible charger and refuse to work with it?

I believe so, take a look at If your iPhone or iPod touch won't charge and scroll to the bottom, there will be a section that says your accessory isn't supported or certified and further down, it says non-apple certified.

• Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

Bless your hearts, you try so hard.
    EsquireCatsRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    lkrupp said:
    when something like this happens in the U.S. it's like winning the lottery. Personal injury lawyers would be pounding on her door with business cards in hand.
    Yes, but the knife cuts both ways, If it wasn't an Apple product, then Apple could sue the "victim" for slander or libel.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Firstly, don’t sleep with devices. Secondly, that’s a cable fault not a charger fault.
    Thirdly, Apple needs to sort out their cable quality and this presents an opportunity for something bigger;
    I’m sick of hearing how their wholesale move to USB-C is ‘dongle hell’. This is because people’s mindset needs to change, they ‘dongle-out’ the new technology with cables/dongles/hubs rather than dongling-out the old.  When someone buys a new Mac, they should also buy a pack of Apples new, not-crap USB-C to USB-C cables and a few adaptors i.e. HDMI male to USB-C female, USB-A female to USB-C female & DisplayPort male to USB-C female.
    Over time these dongles become irrelevant but the approach positions USB-C as the dominant connector type, a kind of “Out with the old, in with the new” statement.
    edited March 2021 Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    That cable looks chewed on...poor girl
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    As far as I can remember, every sensationalist article like this turned out to be something that was conveniently left out. I don't think any of the prior fire-incidents blaming Apple resulted in it NOT being Apple.

I hope AI follows up with this case.  I suspect it had nothing to do with Apple.  They probably bought a cheap charger somewhere and someone told them it was an Apple charger.
    jony0watto_cobra