Apple considering ruggedized Apple Watch for release as soon as 2021

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited March 2021
After years of relying on third party ruggedized cases for high-impact wearers, Apple is reportedly considering an Apple Watch variant aimed at extreme users.

Apple Watch Series 6 Nike Edition
Apple Watch Series 6 Nike Edition

Reportedly, should Apple proceed with its plans, the rugged Apple Watch would be an option for consumers, similar to how it sells the Apple Watch SE. It would feature hardware engineering choices like corner protection and more impact resistance than the existing model.

Alongside the effort, Apple is also said to be working on improved swim tracking.

The Bloomberg report from Friday morning claims that this is "at least the second time" that Apple has gone through this evaluation process.

There is no clear timetable for release, or guesses about pricing. The report alleges that the internal discussions revolve around a 2021 or 2022 release "at the earliest."

As with most similar reports about future Apple products, there is the normal disclaimer that Apple's plans may change, and the product may never see the light of day.

Friday's report is the first that alleges that there may be a ruggedized release parallel with the "Apple Watch Series 7" debut. There are few other rumors about the 2021 Apple Watch refresh, with one primary -- and repeating -- one being that it will include non-invasive glucose monitoring of some sort.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Makes sense, as Apple Watch is heavily used for sports and outdoors. 
    Beatsramanpfaffjust cruisinlolliverradarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Better swim tracking? Sounds like Apple is gonna take sports even more seriously.

Add glucose monitoring and this would be a must-have for even more people.

Would love to see a “redesign” with no bezels.
    lolliverlongpath
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Just wear a Solar Powered G-Shock watch and be done with the whole having to plug in your watch at night or at any point during the day because the battery life sucks.
    harry wildwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    With the way the space industry is going, Apple would be smart to offer a vacuum safe watch.   That is a watch that will not explode if accidentally exposed to a vacuum.   That would be an interesting battery problem, not sure how they would solve that.    However I really think people are underestimating how big the space industry will become over this decade.    If you agree, Apple would benefit from being able to advertise that their watch is used by astronauts or those @#$!!&@ Martians.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Rugged version of the Apple Watch is a dumb down version like the Apple Watch SE?  No thanks!  Who wants to wear a budget Watch with limited features inside it?
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 6 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macapfel said:

Actually, its the opposite.   The Apple Watch is already well suited to sports and outdoor activities.

So:  Please point out any weaknesses you perceive that it has in that area because I am simply not aware of any except scratching of the crystal -- which can be limited with a sapphire crystal which is already available for those who want to pay for it.
    In fact, with fall detection and LTE, I feel far safer going outdoors with my watch.  In fact, I do not feel safe without it.   So, even if it were too delicate for outdoor use (which it isn't), those benefits would likely take precedence over any perceived weakness.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 7 of 46
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    macapfel said:

Actually, its the opposite.   The Apple Watch is already well suited to sports and outdoor activities.

So:  Please point out any weaknesses you perceive that it has in that area because I am simply not aware of any except scratching of the crystal -- which can be limited with a sapphire crystal which is already available for those who want to pay for it.
    In fact, with fall detection and LTE, I feel far safer going outdoors with my watch.  In fact, I do not feel safe without it.   So, even if it were too delicate for outdoor use (which it isn't), those benefits would likely take precedence over any perceived weakness.
    There is a difference between weaknesses and improvements. I can imagine a rugged/bulkier one putting on my battery maybe plastic to be more lightweight and my scratcher assistance.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    macapfel said:

Personally I’m on my third watch for motocross. First wreck in sand scratched the screen so bad it wouldn’t register touches correctly anymore and second was a rock to the screen. I tried the cases but the cases on the 38/40 is already a bit big for my wrist during activity — seems to always hit my wrist bone, where as the bare watch does not. 

GPS plus apps and tying into fitness is why I use an Apple Watch over other brands. 

I’d love this idea as long as it isn’t too nerfed on processing power. Titanium for dress and rugged for play. 
    Beatslolliver
  • Reply 9 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I want one for retirees that emphasizes relaxation, gentle exercises like cleaning teeth, and gin and tonic time. With reminders like, "Are you still breathing" and "Go on, stay in bed another hour."
    edited March 2021 beowulfschmidtJaiOh81martinp13cg27Beatsharry wildramanpfaffmike1radarthekatRonnnieO
  • Reply 10 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I've always liked the G-Shock watches because they are rugged and cheap. Hey, what's not to like about a big rubbery watch? If Apple could get the same kind of ruggedness with the same feature set as the current Apple Watch with a reduction in price for having less exotic materials, I'm all in.
    BeatsAppleMac@76
  • Reply 11 of 46
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Just wear a Solar Powered G-Shock watch and be done with the whole having to plug in your watch at night or at any point during the day because the battery life sucks.
    How much data does the Solar powered G-shock give the wearer? The trend in sports watches, as amply demonstrated with the Garmin Fenix series, is collecting data to improve training and performance. I say this as someone who owns and has been scuba diving with an Oceanus (Casio's former high end division) with solar power and it's titanium case is plenty robust for sports use; but it doesn't tell me a thing about what my body is doing, so it's utility ends at telling time (although I fully admit that's helpful when timing decompression stops, if you're not using a dive computer).

wizard69 said:
    With the way the space industry is going, Apple would be smart to offer a vacuum safe watch.   That is a watch that will not explode if accidentally exposed to a vacuum.   That would be an interesting battery problem, not sure how they would solve that.    However I really think people are underestimating how big the space industry will become over this decade.    If you agree, Apple would benefit from being able to advertise that their watch is used by astronauts or those @#$!!&@ Martians.
    Is there any reason to believe that an Apple Watch has a pressurized interior component? Also, if I'm exposed to hard vacuum, my watch is not high on my list of matters I'm concerned about. Getting my backside back inside a pressurized part of the ship before I black out is my concern. I do concede that the watch might give interesting data on how my body reacted during that exposure; but that's extremely low on the list of importance in a situation that can be life threatening in seconds to minutes.

BeatsAppleMac@76mike1randominternetpersonlolliverradarthekaturahara
  • Reply 12 of 46
    MacPro said:
    I want one for retirees that emphasizes relaxation, gentle exercises like cleaning teeth, and gin and tonic time. With reminders like, "Are you still breathing" and "Go on, stay in bed another hour."
    One step after the assisted living facility and before the nursing home!  No thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    One step after the assisted living facility and before the nursing home!  No thanks!
    You obviously have a great appreciation for humor there.  ;)
    mike1GeorgeBMacjust cruisinlolliverradarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 46
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... I would be happy to see a round option from an aesthetic standpoint, with direct sync vs needing iCloud (I am told) from a privacy standpoint ...
    urashid
  • Reply 15 of 46
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... I would be happy to see a round option from an aesthetic standpoint, with direct sync vs needing iCloud (I am told) from a privacy standpoint ...
  • Reply 16 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Rugged version of the Apple Watch is a dumb down version like the Apple Watch SE?  No thanks!  Who wants to wear a budget Watch with limited features inside it?

Where did you even see that?!
    The article clearly stated it "would be an option for consumers, similar to how it sells the Apple Watch SE."

just cruisinradarthekatlongpathurahara
  • Reply 17 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    longpath said:

Also, if I'm exposed to hard vacuum, my watch is not high on my list of matters I'm concerned about.
    Yep!
    dewmeradarthekatlongpathurahara
  • Reply 18 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    wizard69 said:
    WTF? A) in what scenario would a Watch be exposed to a vacuum and B) why would the wearer give a shit about their Watch at that point in time?
    mike1GeorgeBMacStrangeDaysradarthekatlongpathurahara
  • Reply 19 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Why have you not retreated into an air gapped Faraday cage yet?
    StrangeDaysradarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    emig647 said:
    macapfel said:

Personally I’m on my third watch for motocross. First wreck in sand scratched the screen so bad it wouldn’t register touches correctly anymore and second was a rock to the screen. I tried the cases but the cases on the 38/40 is already a bit big for my wrist during activity — seems to always hit my wrist bone, where as the bare watch does not. 

GPS plus apps and tying into fitness is why I use an Apple Watch over other brands. 

I’d love this idea as long as it isn’t too nerfed on processing power. Titanium for dress and rugged for play. 

Motocross?   Nothing will stand up to that.
    The last one I watched some guy fell off at the bottom of a hill in a giant mud pit.   The rest just used him for traction.

"On Any Sunday" with Mert Lawwill and Steve McQueen is still one of my favorites. Those were men.