Apple TV 'Mythic Quest' video promo has actors testing out toys

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2021
Apple has released a promo featuring actors who play testers in "Mythic Quest" on Apple TV+, reminding viewers the first season is available to watch ahead of the second season's debut on May 7.

Released to the Apple TV YouTube channel on Saturday, the two-and-a-half minute "Testers Testing Things" video features actors Ashly Burch and Imani Hakim, who stared as video game testers in "Mythic Quest." As part of the video, the two take part in a number of tests, to try out traditional games and toys.

Donning safety glasses, the pair test each of the toys for more than just fun. The first item tested, a paddle ball, is tested for bounciness and "self-defense." Other tested games include the yo-yo, juggling, cup stacking, the punch balloon, and paper football.

Throughout the video, clips from the show are played, partly in reaction to on-screen discussions and statements. Ultimately, the games "all kinda have some bugs in them," and weren't as "fun" as the first season of the show.

Apple will be bringing out a second season of the show on May 7. A trailer released in February hinted guest stars appearing in the show, including Snoop Dogg, as well as a storyline about the difficult development of an expansion for the game.

The second season follows a lengthy production delay caused by COVID-19 outbreaks. A special episode was also shot as a mid-break extra, one that was written, filmed, and edited entirely on iPhones.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    The show was "watchable." But I have a rule of thumb: if any show (like this one) has the same person in the role of creator/producer/writer/director/star, then the show will probably be a dud.

There are some exceptions to this. Orson Welles was an exception. There aren't too many Orson Welles's in the industry right now. Over 100 years there have been a few people who have managed multiple roles (writer, director, actor) in critically acclaimed films: Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Barbra Streisand, John Cassavetes, Warren Beatty, Spike Lee and Woody Allen. 

Nepotism is rarely a good idea. The best plan is to get the best person for each job. The same person in five roles is "entertainment nepotism." It usually doesn't work.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I think Charlie Chaplin was probably the only one in that list I’d agree with. At least until talkies.
    but the rest. Nah. Too much working out their neuroses.  
    You forgot Clint.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I enjoy Mythic Quest. Looking forward to season 2.
    asdasdsteven n.watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    entropys said:
    I think Charlie Chaplin was probably the only one in that list I’d agree with. At least until talkies.
    You forgot Clint.
    I didn't forget Clint. Clint never wrote any movies. I said "people who have managed multiple roles (writer, director, actor) in critically acclaimed films." I meant all three of those roles.

Actually Clint proves my point about nepotism. He did write songs, and he performed them in movies. Nepotism at work:

Japhey
  • Reply 5 of 13
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    So glad 'Apple TV' is getting into deep, clever stuff...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    entropys said:
    You forgot Clint.
    I didn't forget Clint. Clint never wrote any movies. I said "people who have managed multiple roles (writer, director, actor) in critically acclaimed films." I meant all three of those roles.

Actually Clint proves my point about nepotism. He did write songs, and he performed them in movies. Nepotism at work:

https://youtu.be/d9ZLqkDCfBA
  • Reply 7 of 13
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Nepotism is rarely a good idea. The best plan is to get the best person for each job. The same person in five roles is "entertainment nepotism." It usually doesn't work.
    Nepotism is totally the wrong word for this.  Nepotism is when you hire your family, not yourself. 

baconstang said:
    So glad 'Apple TV' is getting into deep, clever stuff...
    Why the scare quotes? Anyway I liked this last year, it's a perfectly good comedy and worth renewing. Comedies are a strong part of TV output. 
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I really liked Mythic Quest, and am really looking forward to the second season.   The 'Dark Quiet Death' episode was phenomenal TV.
    napoleon_phoneapartsteven n.asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    cia said:
    I really liked Mythic Quest, and am really looking forward to the second season.   The 'Dark Quiet Death' episode was phenomenal TV.
    “Blood Ocean” was great as well as was the Pandemic Special. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I am really looking forward to this. It seemed like a really long time between seasons. 
    I really loved the Pandemic Special - so well written and executed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    asdasd said:
    Nepotism is totally the wrong word for this.  Nepotism is when you hire your family, not yourself. 
    Would you feel better if I used the word "selfotism"? Or do you object to people making up words, too? I notice you didn't suggest a better word.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The show was "watchable." But I have a rule of thumb: if any show (like this one) has the same person in the role of creator/producer/writer/director/star, then the show will probably be a dud.

There are some exceptions to this. Orson Welles was an exception. There aren't too many Orson Welles's in the industry right now. Over 100 years there have been a few people who have managed multiple roles (writer, director, actor) in critically acclaimed films: Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Barbra Streisand, John Cassavetes, Warren Beatty, Spike Lee and Woody Allen. 

Gee, that must be why It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia has been doing so poorly, only lasting almost sixteen years so far and being the longest-running live-action comedy series in American television history. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    Would you feel better if I used the word "selfotism"? Or do you object to people making up words, too? I notice you didn't suggest a better word.
    I do object to making up words in general. It’s ok if you are Shakespeare. I didn’t suggest a better word because I was complaining about the misuse of the one you used. That’s all. 
    watto_cobra