Apple marks Holi festival with Instagram 'Shot on iPhone' commissions

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2021
Apple has published a series of images to its Instagram account to mark the Hindu festival of Holi, commissioning photographer Dhruvin S. to shoot images featuring the festival's signature powder using the iPhone.

Published on Saturday night to Instagram, the set of eight photographs are close-up shots of people's faces, cropped closely to highlight a section of skin or to focus on one facial feature. All of the subjects of the images are covered in Holi powder, a colorful substance that is heavily used in the celebrations.

"I never imagined Holi as a form of art," said photographer Dhruvin S. "It's almost like creating a canvas on a face. And you don't have to be a painter or an artist to do this."

The images are part of Apple's long-running "Shot on iPhone" marketing program, where photographs and videos are produced using devices like the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by apple (@apple)

The Holi festival, also known as the "festival of love" and the "festival of colors," takes pace from March 28 until March 29. Typically used as a time for people to meet others and to forgive and forget, celebrations are known to involve the throwing of colored powder and dye-filled water balloons, as part of parades and other festivities.

This is not the first time Apple has used the festival to showcase the imaging capabilities of its devices. In 2018, the company shared images of people covered with the dust, all taken on iPhones.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple finds a way to be part of every culture's festival!
    JinTech
  • Reply 2 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple finds a way to be part of every culture's festival!
    Why not? Those pictures are stunning. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    So, just wondering, does Apple also promote other religions such as Christianity at Easter?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 160member
    leighr said:
    So, just wondering, does Apple also promote other religions such as Christianity at Easter?
    Passive-Aggressive much?!  Apple is not promoting any religion - it’s just using a festival to promote their products. 

Why do you care anyway? You people don’t believe in Science, and think that everything was created by the invisible man in the sky. So, accept that this is all part of His plan and stop whining!

Besides, Apple is in the midst of reworking their India strategy. Apple is using this occasion to promote the iPhone because most Indians celebrate Holi. If a billion Indians celebrated Easter, Apple would promote that too. 
    edited March 2021 JaiOh81fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    spock1234 said:
    leighr said:
    Passive-Aggressive much?!  Apple is not promoting any religion - it’s just using a festival to promote their products. 

Why do you care anyway? You people don’t believe in Science, and think that everything was created by the invisible man in the sky. So, accept that this is all part of His plan and stop whining!

Besides, Apple is in the midst of reworking their India strategy. Apple is using this occasion to promote the iPhone because most Indians celebrate Holi. If a billion Indians celebrated Easter, Apple would promote that too. 
    So, perhaps I should have said: Does Apple do anything to “Mark” other religious festivals such as the Christian celebration of Easter.  Just wondering, as it seems that people are ok with mocking Christianity, but respect all other religions. Just an observation. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 6 of 15
    leighr said:
    You mean like the various commercials they have done over the years for Christmas? 

Probably the strangest thin about your comment is that you want someone else to do the work for you. Is it really that hard to go look at the Apple Instagram account or just do a web search? Maybe that is a better use of your time then coming up with lame accusations that you try to hide as a question. Seems like some Christians are to busy claiming they are picked on to bother education themselves on what is happening. Just an observation. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    leighr said:
    spock1234 said:
    leighr said:

So, perhaps I should have said: Does Apple do anything to “Mark” other religious festivals such as the Christian celebration of Easter.  Just wondering, as it seems that people are ok with mocking Christianity, but respect all other religions. Just an observation. 
    Yup. Remember at all the Christmas ads by apple and every other vendor that is out there? 
    fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Yup. Remember at all the Christmas ads by apple and every other vendor that is out there? 
    Just to clarify, my question was about Christianity at Easter, not Santa at Christmas. I’m genuinely interested to know if Apple actually acknowledges religious celebrations, as this article seems to suggest, or if they just stick with the generic “happy holidays” line. I realise the photos are to promote the phones, and they are amazing cameras, but the article suggested it was to “mark” the religious ceremony, not just about colourful photos. 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    leighr said:
    Just to clarify, my question was about Christianity at Easter, not Santa at Christmas. I’m genuinely interested to know if Apple actually acknowledges religious celebrations, as this article seems to suggest, or if they just stick with the generic “happy holidays” line. I realise the photos are to promote the phones, and they are amazing cameras, but the article suggested it was to “mark” the religious ceremony, not just about colourful photos. 
    That wasn't what your question was, your question was:

"does Apple also promote other religions such as Christianity at Easter?"

and then you changed it to:

"Does Apple do anything to “Mark” other religious festivals such as the Christian celebration of Easter."

In both cases you asked about other religious festivals and then gave Easter as an example. The answer in both cases was "Yes" and both myself and Sree have you the same example that was Christian specific. Given a clear answer to your question you opted to completely reject* the answer and restate your question so it now doesn't include "other religions" but is limited it to just Christianity. And it isn't about "other religious festivals" it is specifically about Easter. This is called moving the goal posts.

Anyway, to answer your newly revised and very specific question. No, to the best of my knowledge Apple has never done something specific for Easter. 

I stand corrected. Apple has specifically celebrated Easter. 

https://www.tvinsider.com/990075/apple-tv-plus-spring-kids-shows-charlie-brown-ghostwriter-helpsters/

* Also your absolute refusal to do research is once again showing. If you actually look up Apple's Christmas ads you will see they don't just default to a generic "happy holidays" line and actually mention Christmas. 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 10 of 15
    leighr said:
    spock1234 said:
    leighr said:

I agree with you. Popular culture is so focked up by political correctness and white-guilt. 

But just FYI, Apple does mark Christmas, Thanksgiving and other western holidays. Apple is interested in selling iPhones to everybody  
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    I’m sure if someone came up with some colorful and detailed iPhone photos, Apple would use them to promote the iPhone during Easter. 
    edited March 2021 spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    leighr said:
    Oh, god, here we go. The poor persecuted Christians. You can claim persecution when you are thrown into an arena with a lion.

I suspect if the Christians had a holiday in which everyone could participate without feeling like they’re  being judged or criticized, or that they won’t be called out for blaspheming, maybe Apple would do something. 

The pagans celebrated both xmas (I know that’s going to get your panties in a bunch) and “easter” long before jesus came on the scene. Furthermore, there is no constitutional amendment (that I know of) that forces someone to believe one way or another. In fact, I think Indians have the concept of religion the way it is supposed to be in perspective — personal. It’s what they use to make them feel good and get through the day. They don’t use it to control anyone, that’s not democratic—it’s so 1800s. 

If you want this country to be ruled by one religion, it’s about the most unpatriotic a person can be. Our forefathers made it very clear that there should be a separation of church and state. 

Do your homework and study a little bit of history that’s not sanctioned by your particular version of christianity. It will broaden your perspective and you may even start to question what you’re being spoon-fed by the church. The world is changing whether you want it to or not. And question your christian leadership. They control you by giving you a boogeyman and, therefore, control you by fear. They would be out of a job if there was none. Stop being a victim be crying about being persecuted, go out and explore the world outside of your tiny little bubble. You may find that there is an amazing world out there. 
    muthuk_vanalingamspock1234fastasleepjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mac_dog said:
    leighr said:
    Oh, god, here we go. The poor persecuted Christians. You can claim persecution when you are thrown into an arena with a lion.

I suspect if the Christians had a holiday in which everyone could participate without feeling like they’re  being judged or criticized, or that they won’t be called out for blaspheming, maybe Apple would do something. 

The pagans celebrated both xmas (I know that’s going to get your panties in a bunch) and “easter” long before jesus came on the scene. Furthermore, there is no constitutional amendment (that I know of) that forces someone to believe one way or another. In fact, I think Indians have the concept of religion the way it is supposed to be in perspective — personal. It’s what they use to make them feel good and get through the day. They don’t use it to control anyone, that’s not democratic—it’s so 1800s. 

If you want this country to be ruled by one religion, it’s about the most unpatriotic a person can be. Our forefathers made it very clear that there should be a separation of church and state. 

Do your homework and study a little bit of history that’s not sanctioned by your particular version of christianity. It will broaden your perspective and you may even start to question what you’re being spoon-fed by the church. The world is changing whether you want it to or not. And question your christian leadership. They control you by giving you a boogeyman and, therefore, control you by fear. They would be out of a job if there was none. Stop being a victim be crying about being persecuted, go out and explore the world outside of your tiny little bubble. You may find that there is an amazing world out there. 
    Well said. And it is typically a "right wing extremist" thing, to which @leighr belong to. Replace US with India and Christianity with Hinduism, we have similar lunatics in India as well (unfortunately in large numbers), who parrot the same lies as @leighr did above. And they are fed by the ruling party in power here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Well said. Replace US with India and Christianity with Hinduism, we have similar lunatics in India as well (unfortunately in large numbers), who parrot the same lies as @leighr did above.
    All right! That’s enough. Let’s not replace white-guilt with brown-guilt. 

Pandering to minority groups for votes and demonizing the common man has been the standard tactic of the woke left in both countries. It is a result of ignorance, greed, and hunger for power. It’s nothing to be proud of. 
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mac_dog said:
    leighr said:

Well I didn’t actually want this to be a discussion on what Christians believe, I was just surprised that it was suggested that Apple was “marking” a particular religious festival, as I’ve always thought that they stayed away from religion. 

But just in response to some of the things that have been brought up: 1. I don’t judge or criticise you, as I’m no better than anyone else. 2. Easter (as we call it now) coincides wth the time of the Jewish Passover (hence the full moon) which was first celebrated over 3,000 years ago. 3. I don’t believe that I am controlled by fear, a victim, or being persecuted. 3. Jesus was not “white”, and the majority of Christians around the world are also not “white”, it’s nothing to do with skin colour. 4. Yes, the world is amazing.