WebKit code leaks Apple's next OS names as macOS 12, iOS 15

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2021
WebKit source code has seemingly confirmed Apple is all in with the change in macOS numbering, by including references to "macOS 12.0" and "iOS 15.0."

For quite a few years, macOS had a version number that started "10." followed by incremental changes. For macOS Big Sur and its Apple Silicon introduction, Apple moved macOS to version 11, and it seems the numbering convention will continue for the next version.

Located in the open-source WebKit repository after being updated in February, references in the code found by 9to5Mac mention macOS "12.00" and iOS "15.0." This is an unusual discovery, as typically the WebKit code refers to future operating system iterations as "TBA" instead of using version numbers.

The update was conducted by an Apple employee who worked on WebKit, with the commit message "Update WKWebView getUserMedia delegate to latest proposal."

Based on this discovery, it seems that Apple is taking the same numbering route for macOS as it has done for its other operating systems, instead of keeping it on the same main version for as long as possible. The numbering of beta releases and public releases hinted that this could occur, since the first number after the period is increasing multiple times in the year instead of being static.

It ultimately seems like a confirmation that Apple is changing the numbering strategy to bring macOS in line with iOS, iPadOS, and others. Each have a main yearly milestone release that changes the first number of the version string.

Apple is anticipated to reveal the official name and numbers of its next milestone operating system releases at WWDC 2021, due to be held in the summer. Apple is expected to announce when the event will take place soon, as well as other details developers could expect to encounter this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Almost that time again?

How time flies when you’re stuck inside. 
    applguygregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Maybe Apple could decide on the final leap sometime? As in syncing all the various OS names to the underlying version of Darwin?

That would then not be macOS 12 but macOS 21 🤷🏻‍♂️
    And macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS wouldn’t have all confusingly different names, even though they are the same OS with a different UI layer slapped on.

So, how about macOS 21, tvOS 21, watchOS 21, iOS 21, Darwin 21?
    InspiredCodemarklarknarwhalrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    I don’t this was a secret. It was widely known that Apple moved macOS to a semantic versioning scheme.
    edited March 2021 narwhalmaltzurahararezwitswatto_cobramichelb76
  • Reply 4 of 42
    rcfa said:
    Maybe Apple could decide on the final leap sometime? As in syncing all the various OS names to the underlying version of Darwin?

And macOS, iOS, tvOS, watchOS wouldn’t have all confusingly different names, even though they are the same OS with a different UI layer slapped on.

This is probably what they should have done, but I can’t see them changing that now.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    In retrospect, it's unfortunate that they didn't name High Sierra "MacOS 11" back in 2017, we'd be several years in sync by now.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I saw “names” in the headline and was expecting names and not version numbers. I’m hoping we’ll see something like macOS “Kings Canyon” or macOS “Death Valley” but don’t really care what number it has associated with the name. 
    urahararezwitsjeffythequick
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Different version numbers?

This is not what Steve would have wanted. 

Time to fire everyone at Apple. 

/s
    davebarnesnarwhaluraharachasmdigitolasdasdjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 42
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Apple crack marketing team is too "high to see error" in their current numbering scheme.
    rezwits
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Wow!
    This is right up there with the introduction of the iPhone.
    Beats
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Hardest of agrees! Came here to say same thing. It’s really getting confusing having all these annual revision numbers out of sync. Same for product naming, dump the S update game and just make this year’s phone the iPhone 21. Apple already does something like this with Mac. Who cares if there is a skip between years like going from Mac Pro 19 to Mac Pro 21. People will get used to this because those that know are used to this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    To the contrary, this disparate version numbers situation creates a nice opportunity to "reboot" the OS name and numbering scheme. Something like "UnifiedOS 1.0" or something similar for all AppleOS including the iCar and iGlasses would be a good move IMHO ... 
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 42
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Would have never thought the next iOS OS would be the next iOS OS!!!

SHOCKED!!

dewme said:
    I saw “names” in the headline and was expecting names and not version numbers. I’m hoping we’ll see something like macOS “Kings Canyon” or macOS “Death Valley” but don’t really care what number it has associated with the name. 

Those names are also confusing. Which came first? El Capitan or High Sierra? You have to actually THINK and remember. Where as 10 or 12 makes it obvious and easy for example.

Also never understood why they beamed them after obscure parks that half the world wouldn’t recognize. Why not big city names the world could relate to? Like macOS Tokyo, macOS London etc.

Hardest of agrees! Came here to say same thing. It’s really getting confusing having all these annual revision numbers out of sync. Same for product naming, dump the S update game and just make this year’s phone the iPhone 21. Apple already does something like this with Mac. Who cares if there is a skip between years like going from Mac Pro 19 to Mac Pro 21. People will get used to this because those that know are used to this.

That’s even more confusing!! The next iPhone is 21? I always thought Apple would name iPhone just “iPhone” like they do iPad and if you want to get technical you can see “14th gen” if you cared enough in spec sheets.

A way I always thought they can get everything in sync is by slowing down higher numbers and allowing lower numbers to catch up. For example if Mac is at 11 and iOS at 14 the next Mac can be macOS 12 while iOS updates to iOS 14.5 until all OSes sync then they can move forward at the same pace.

I always found it funny how iOS and iPhone number didn’t match either. So with this idea we would eventually have iPhone 18 running iOS 18.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    rcfa said:

By that logic, it makes just as much sense to simply start over with the version numbers by calling everything “Version 1.0”. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    rcfa said:

They absolutely are not "the same OS".  Not all of them are POSIX complaint.  Only macOS is officially UNIX.  Only macOS has VM and swaps to disk.   The list of differences goes on...
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 42
    JeffBest said:
    To the contrary, this disparate version numbers situation creates a nice opportunity to "reboot" the OS name and numbering scheme. Something like "UnifiedOS 1.0" or something similar for all AppleOS including the iCar and iGlasses would be a good move IMHO ... 

They're not the same OS.  And most customers for a given OS aren't running it on the most recent iPhone, so what others have said about syncing it with the iPhone number is also pointless.

Don't confuse the user-facing part with the OS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Looking forward to the "The Day After Monday Will Be Tuesday" article. 
    BeatsMisterKitmuthuk_vanalingamrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 42
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    rcfa said:

That would make zero sense, and in case, why does it matter?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Kind of sick of the California names. Time for something new, or just plain old numbers again. 
    uktechie
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Yes! Finally! I’ve been wondering what would come after 11. I ran out of fingers a couple releases ago so I’ve just been on pins and needles!
    rezwits
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I vote AppleOS 2021 for all devices with the year suffix. Betas would be AppleOS 2021.1, 2021.2, etc
    elijahg