Apple will hold WWDC 2021 online June 7 through June 11

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2021
Apple has confirmed it will be holding WWDC 2021 in June as usual, with this year's event being another online-only affair instead of returning to live venues.

An update to the Apple Developer website advises it will be taking place, starting on June 7. As usual, Apple offers minimal clues about the content it expects to unveil during the show, with graphics offering no real hints to work with.

"We love bringing our developers together each year at WWDC to learn about our latest technologies and to connect them with Apple engineers," said Susan Prescott, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations and Enterprise and Education Marketing. "We are working to make WWDC21 our biggest and best yet, and are excited to offer Apple developers new tools to support them as they create apps that change the way we live, work, and play."

Following on from the WWDC 2020 event, which was a virtual event instead of one featuring in-person attendance due to COVID-19, WWDC 2021 will be following the same structure. Instead of requiring attendees apply for tickets to attend in person, the event will be free for anyone to watch and participate in.

The keynote address will most likely be a pre-recorded video stream once more, rather than Cook and other executives speaking live on stage to an audience. As 2020's announcement-dense video showed, the keynote for 2021 will still be a major event for people to watch, to see where Apple is headed with its product ecosystem.

Away from the video session streams, Apple embraced its app and online platforms in 2020 to provide as much information to developers about inbound changes as possible. It is probable that Apple will offer a similar level of access to event participants for 2021.

Developers found that WWDC 2020 was both a blessing and a curse. The lower cost to take part was beneficial, as well as a reduced level of stress, but the lack of sociability and reduced access compared to in-person versions was perceived as problematic.

Apple produced 72 hours of video content for WWDC 2020, which was viewed by 22 million people. Apple CEO Tim Cook called it "a new standard for what online events can achieve" during a later earnings call.

Among Apple's WWDC 2020 announcements was its plan to move over to Apple Silicon within two years, as well as the introduction of Developer Transition Kits. Apple also introduced iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, watchOS 7, and macOS Big Sur during the event.
gregoriusm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I miss in-person WWDC, but this is how it needs to be moving forward. You can’t bring 22 million people to a non-virtual event.
    9secondkox2Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Finally!! FaceID on Macs!!

I miss in-person WWDC, but this is how it needs to be moving forward. You can’t bring 22 million people to a non-virtual event.
    Ummm... Apple has been bringing millions of people to their “non-virtual” events for years. I’m sure Apple will resume in-person soon and the livestream won’t cut off because of it.
    muthuk_vanalingam9secondkox2aderutterlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I see some hints. I may be reaching but new Memoji features, maybe not requiring FaceID capability and a new MacBook Reveal. She is mimicing Craig from last year’s launch of M1 Macs 
  • Reply 4 of 31
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    WWDC announced, but not an April event. Maybe no event until WWDC? Prosser wrong again? Wonder what he’ll shave off now? Nah, I don’t want to think about that. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    csdbcsdb Posts: 6member
    Is it just me ... Or does this hint at "Apple Glass" ?
    9secondkox2urashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    So we’re just ignoring the glasses???
    aderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    csdb said:
    It's actually a lot of people:
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/30/22320961/apple-wwdc-2021-event-date-software-updates-ios-ipados-macos
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Those glasses are an excellent troll by Apple.
    aderutter
  • Reply 9 of 31
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

What?  Attendance is capped at 6,000.   It has never been anywhere near "22 million," which would be around 40 people per square foot.  Seriously, wtf. 
  • Reply 10 of 31
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    csdb said:

Yeah, the notice I got had a different graphic, but also with glasses:

Coinkidink? I think not!
  • Reply 11 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The different faces means I think we are all getting our personalised emoji! Awesome. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Same here. Different emoji - with glasses.

urashid
  • Reply 13 of 31
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Beats said:

Ummm... Apple has been bringing millions of people to their “non-virtual” events for years. I’m sure Apple will resume in-person soon and the livestream won’t cut off because of it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Worldwide_Developers_Conference

According to this 6000 people attended WWDC in 2018. Where are you seeing millions of people in past years ?  I also thought it was invite only ?  I don’t honestly know the process of attending.

I just never thought of it as an event that brought millions of people out in past years when they were non virtual? Maybe I am mistaken ? 
    Beats
  • Reply 14 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    asdasd said:
    The different faces means I think we are all getting our personalised emoji! Awesome. 
    LOL are they re-releasing iOS 12? 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208986
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    I think everyone is missing the big thing with these emoji’s, the glasses they are wearing all lack arms going over the ears... which means Apple is going to launch the world’s first augmented reality pince-nez!!  ;) 
    dwebartsurashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Beats said:

WWDC has been going since 1987 with the largest number of attendees being 6000. In total less than 200k people have attended WWDC. So Apple hasn’t been bringing millions of people. Also totally skeptical of that 22 million number. 
  • Reply 17 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Beats said:
    WWDC has been going since 1987 with the largest number of attendees being 6000. In total less than 200k people have attended WWDC. So Apple hasn’t been bringing millions of people. Also totally skeptical of that 22 million number. 
    That all depends on how you define "bring" and I think that a stream and download of the keynote and sessions are clearly within the umbrella of "bring" for WWDC, even without including last year's event which is the only way in which keynote spectators, the media, and attendees were "brought" in
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    urashid said:
    csdb said:

Coinkidink? I think not!
    Hearing aid is a nice touch. 

Are all the variations wearing glasses?
    urashid
  • Reply 19 of 31
    urashid said:
    csdb said:

Coinkidink? I think not!

I thought maybe that was a new AirPod then zoomed in. It’s a hearing aid. I know Apple developed a hearing aid “behind the scenes” back in 2017. Maybe they’re making a mass market device?
    urashid
  • Reply 20 of 31
    jcs2305 said:
    Beats said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Worldwide_Developers_Conference

According to this 6000 people attended WWDC in 2018. Where are you seeing millions of people in past years ?  I also thought it was invite only ?  I don’t honestly know the process of attending.

I just never thought of it as an event that brought millions of people out in past years when they were non virtual? Maybe I am mistaken ? 

Yes you’re mistaken. I thought it was obvious what the original poster meant by “bring”. He meant people watching the event. He couldn’t have meant it literally since that would completely destroy his argument. Literally, Apple brought ZERO people to the virtual event since no one was allowed to show up.

Now for what he obviously(to me, at least) meant: people watching the show. He mentions you can’t “bring” 22 million people to a “non-virtual” event which is complete bogus. Millions have been “brought” to the event over the years, Apple is not gonna cut off livestreams if they allow people to attend in-person. Millions will still be able to watch the show virtually like they did in 2020.

I don’t mean to sound like a di** but if you take that word literally (“bring”) then he’s even more wrong as that number drops from 6,000 to ZERO but to me it was obvious he meant “to watch” which again, is bogus. Apple has always allowed people to watch online, this virtual event didn’t grant anyone special keys and I would have seen it whether it was “non-virtual” or not.