Supposed next-gen Apple TV remote turns out to be third-party hardware

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2021
Recent reports claimed Apple is developing a new Apple TV remote dubbed "B519," though that particular device appears to be third-party hardware designed for use by cable companies.

Earlier this week, 9to5Mac reported that Apple is working on a new Apple TV remote expected to launch with a next-generation set-top box later this year. A follow-up on Wednesday, however, reveals the device is in fact a remote designed by Universal Electronics.

Announced in November, the Apple TV accessory was developed and designed to serve cable, satellite, and MVPD companies offering Apple TV 4K as an alternative to the traditional cable box.

Eschewing the Siri Remote's -- controversially -- minimalist design, the Universal Electronics hardware is a typical candy bar style remote with a multitude of buttons that flank a central control "wheel." Dedicated buttons invoke Siri voice control and a programming guide.

According to 9to5Mac, Apple had a hand in designing the remote, though the tech giant's participation was left unmentioned in a Universal Electronics press release announcing the device last year. The remote is reportedly referred to internally at Apple as "B519," though that information is also in question.

Reliable reports from Bloomberg have indicated that Apple is indeed preparing a new remote control for a so-called "Apple TV 6" and code discovered in recent tvOS beta version backs up those claims. Last week, for example, code strings in the fourth tvOS 14.5 beta release replaced "Siri Remote" with "Apple TV Remote," while a fifth beta today points to a remote that includes a center button.

Previous rumblings suggest the new remote will feature fresh capabilities like a device location system similar to Find My on iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Well that was anticlimactic.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    I'm sure we will see some kind of update though.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Poor 9to5Mac 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 27
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Pretty lame. 
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I do like the looks of that remote, though, especially with a mute button. 
    beowulfschmidtAI_lias
  • Reply 6 of 27
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I do like the looks of that remote, though, especially with a mute button. 
    +1 for the mute button, but I prefer the touch pad over click buttons
    AI_liasBeatsStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I would say “anything would be better than the current remote” but that gives them way too much leeway to prove me wrong once again. Why is apple so bad at peripherals? 
    elijahgnapoleon_phoneapartdewmemariowinco
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I would say “anything would be better than the current remote” but that gives them way too much leeway to prove me wrong once again. Why is apple so bad at peripherals? 
    The people who created that meme are the same type of people that would’ve left the charging cord in the mouse permanently if given the option. 
    Rayz2016BeatsStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    The people who created that meme are the same type of people that would’ve left the charging cord in the mouse permanently if given the option. 
    So why isn't the keyboard charging port on the bottom if leaving it in permanently is such a problem?
    bloggerblogAI_lias
  • Reply 10 of 27
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 231member
    Don't forget the guy who buys a third party charger to save $10 and blames Apple when his car catches on fire.
    chasmlkruppBeats
  • Reply 11 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    How on earth could 9to5 have missed the word "Universal" printed at the bottom of the remote??

Anyway, as I've said before -- not really having any problem with the Siri Remote, the touchpad is IMO pretty brilliant for scrolling, but I do get that if you let if fall down the couch in a dark room you might have trouble feeling when end is which. Not Jony's best design, though much better and easier to use than most TV and cable system remotes. For me, the big flaw is a lack of mute button.
    pscooter63patchythepirateWgkruegerStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    zeus423 said:
    Don't forget the guy who buys a third party charger to save $10 and blames Apple when his car catches on fire.
    And the ones who want Apple to use only ‘industry standard’ ports, cables, chargers, whatever. No innovation, nothing proprietary, just do what everybody else is doing and conform. Don’t think different.
    patchythepirateBeatsDetnator
  • Reply 13 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    That picture is cute, but irrelevant. While I would prefer to be able to use the Magic Mouse while it’s charging, an automobile has to be disconnected from its recharging or refueling station to be operated, unless someone comes up with a refueling scheme similar to what’s used by military aircraft and ships. If you can’t use something while it’s charging, who cares where the recharging port is located?
    pscooter63elijahgbeowulfschmidtBeats
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elijahg said:
    So why isn't the keyboard charging port on the bottom if leaving it in permanently is such a problem?
    Because there’s room on the back to keep the hole out of sight. There’s nowhere on the surface of the mouse to hide the hole, so they hid it underneath and I’d be surprised if they moved it. 

If Apple put a hole on the front of the mouse then the Notch Police wouldn’t stop whining about it anyway, so it’s better off on the bottom. 

bestkeptsecretpatchythepirateBeatsStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Which means they’re the same type of people who want a car they can drive to the shops while it’s still plugged into the mains. 
    patchythepirateBeats
  • Reply 16 of 27
    The Remote app in iPhone/iPad is better than the AppleTV remote, and every iPhone/iPad owner has the remote app built in. Why buy something else?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Throw up a story first(!), think later.

Such is the state of the tech media.  Mostly predictable, often stale

UEI is the venerable player in the space, and it would be great to see its remote make it to retail.
    edited April 2021 Beats
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    If the tactile feel is good, that actually looks like the ideal remote.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Almost rearranged buttons Amazon FireTV remote control. To thos who do not know Universal is top remote control company for few decades now. They also build super remote controls for top theater manufactures such as Harman Kardon and others. I am not sure if lame, ut Apple is novice in remote control business at best comparing to Universal. They also made learning remotes (not preprogrammed, but you could teach signal from original one by faceing one another and following teachning instructions). I have discarded even Apple remotes for Apple TV snce the Gen 1 and used Universal teachning it functions from Apple remotes.
  • Reply 20 of 27

How do you know who are those people? You do not know anything, but make assumtions you know something. Stop judging. Leran more about behaviors.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg