Supposed next-gen Apple TV remote turns out to be third-party hardware

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I do like the looks of that remote, though, especially with a mute button. 

Then buy FireTV you will learn more about those remotes. It has even built in Alexa that you can talk to. Yes it is in remote, but you need to press button to make her listen.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

Then buy FireTV you will learn more about those remotes. It has even built in Alexa that you can talk to. Yes it is in remote, but you need to press button to make her listen.

Fire TV doesn’t have exclusive Apple features and are crap boxes. Why are you so opposed to him using THIS remote? Do you work for Amazon or are the typical iHater who trolls Apple forums?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    I would say “anything would be better than the current remote” but that gives them way too much leeway to prove me wrong once again. Why is apple so bad at peripherals? 

The general population doesn’t understand technology. The reason Apple put the port under the mouse is to stop people from keeping their months-long battery-powered mouse plugged in at all times. Especially since some people come from the Windows world who at the time were pro-cord and making fun of Apple for removing wires. (Remember all the stupid aux cord memes?)

I personally know a guy who went from windows to Mac and had these new iMacs. His keyboard was plugged in at all times and (you guessed it) his mouse was not because Apple forced him to think different. I told him “you know, you don’t have to have the keyboard plugged in...” His iMac looked so Windows with a corded Bluetooth keyboard lol. 

With that said, the meme you posted makes no sense since it would be near impossible to charge an Apple car with a cord while driving it. And like another poster said, the person who made that meme would probably try! LOL
  • Reply 24 of 27
    I would say “anything would be better than the current remote” but that gives them way too much leeway to prove me wrong once again. Why is apple so bad at peripherals? 
    The people who created that meme are the same type of people that would’ve left the charging cord in the mouse permanently if given the option. 

How do you know who are those people? You do not know anything, but make assumtions you know something. Stop judging. Leran more about behaviors.

Because those people are dumb. 
  • Reply 25 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    +1 for the mute button, but I prefer the touch pad over click buttons
    The Apple TV works with keyboards that have media control keys, including ones with Mute keys. From what I can tell (trying 3 different keyboards) the Mute keys do not work with the Apple TV. This leads me to believe that the current Apple TVs do not support the Mute function, so even if you found a third party controller with a Mute button it wouldn’t do much of anything at all. Until such time the Pause button is a partial alternative, or if you’re willing to suffer through a couple of seconds of button mashing, the volume down button works too. I’m assuming that once Apple adds Mute capability to the Apple TV the remote will include a Mute button. Until then, enjoy the nostalgic trip back to 1975 era remote control functionality.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Rayz2016 said:
    elijahg said:
    The people who created that meme are the same type of people that would’ve left the charging cord in the mouse permanently if given the option. 
    So why isn't the keyboard charging port on the bottom if leaving it in permanently is such a problem?
    Because there’s room on the back to keep the hole out of sight. There’s nowhere on the surface of the mouse to hide the hole, so they hid it underneath and I’d be surprised if they moved it. 

If Apple put a hole on the front of the mouse then the Notch Police wouldn’t stop whining about it anyway, so it’s better off on the bottom. 

Why does it need to be hidden? The iPhone charging port isn't hidden, and it's not on the back either, though maybe it should be to make it as awkward as possible to use while charging? The Macbook ports are on the sides so they're visible when they could be on the bottom. The iMac does have them on the back - which is again stupid because it requires fumbling around to plug things in all the time. Having the charging port on the bottom is just idiotic.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    elijahg said:
    So why isn't the keyboard charging port on the bottom if leaving it in permanently is such a problem?
    Because the top & front of the keyboard aren’t entirely covered in a touchpad the way the Magic Mouse is. It’s awesome. I charge it every month at the end of the day, so there’s no issue. If I forget a two min quick charge has it good for the day by the time I pee or get a beverage. Oh but the outrage!