What Mac OS are you using?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm really curious as to how many Mac users are still like myself and only use OS 9 or lower. I'm saving the money to get a brand new machine, and until then I don't have the motivation to upgrade OS' yet.

Non-Mac OS users, please don't use the poll, but reply with what you're using as your primary OS and why.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I am running 10.2.4 with Classic, but I haven't used Classic in a few months. Once I get all my stuff backed up, I'll probably do a fresh install without it.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Can't run OS9 on my new iMac, and I don't have a *need* to use Classic, so I haven't bothered to install it. I reinstalled the system when I got the machine to avoid having all the extra languages, etc, on it. Plus, I get that fresh, just stepped out of the shower feeling.

10.2.4 for me, no Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    I have Classic but only use it for running Maple. Classic is never running 99.9% of the time.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I have 10.2.4 - Classic is installed but never used, its the fresh out of the box install.

While were on the subject, will I see any improvement if I reinstall without any of the extra languages ? ( I have them all turned off at the mo)
  • Reply 5 of 31
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    10.2.4 (with battery killed), only.

if a program does not run with X i search an equivalent program for unix and compile it. so i don't need classic.

the thing with the languages AFAIK is the space. it takes longer to install, and you have 300-400 MB more stuff that you'll never use. or at least i never bothered to read or use anything in finnish or korean or other weird langs.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I`m runnin X/jag with KDE compiled to run in apples X11. So Like mb said if an app does not run for X I search for the unix version of it and run it in KDE.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

I use classic, but only to play crystal caliburn and loony labyrinth
  • Reply 8 of 31
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool...looks like OS X has really taken hold here! I answered "d" because nearly two months ago I flung OS 9 off my iMac and haven't looked back since.

SO much cleaner (on less System folder, one less Applications folder, etc.) and everything I use is all available for OS X, so why not?

I dig it the most. Good poll.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Come on! I know more people here use OS 9 than just me. That 1 so far is my vote, and I started the thread! Anybody?

(crickets chirping)
  • Reply 10 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i voted OS X, but that is just because i am borrowing my GF's iMac while she is overseas (i miss her!)...however, MY computer is a powermac 6500 running 8.6 ---- so mark me down as 8.6, sort of.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    10.2.4, classic installed, mainly for The Incredible Machine.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I use 10.2.4 I have Classic installed because I've used Macs for 15 or 16 years and have lots of things that simply don't exist for X. I don't use such programs very much any more, but I've just got to be able to check my Star Trek Encyclopedia every now and again . Also, I have a CDROM with the complete works of Shakespeare on it. Completely searchable. It is wonderful. And runs on a very archaic program (The CD says DOS/Mac). So yeah, gotta have classic around just in case, but it is almost never running.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Come on! I know more people here use OS 9 than just me. That 1 so far is my vote, and I started the thread! Anybody?

(crickets chirping)

I think you're alone, dude.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    I have three macs (one is honorary)

iMac 333mhz - Mac OS 10.2.4

PM 7100/66 - Mac OS 8.6

Intel PII 400mhz - Darwin 6.0

I have to use classic on my iMac for Finale.....

come on CodaMusic... any day now....
  • Reply 15 of 31
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    shoot me if you ask me to work under OS 9

Classic doesn't count

Dual GHz SlowSilver? - 10.24 + 9.22 (as Classic)

TiBook 400 - 10.2.4 only
  • Reply 16 of 31
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Love that Classic...far as I see it, Classic is a bonus, not a hindrance. I have Classic on My X partition, and a dedicated 9 partition (albeit small) for DiskWarrior and optimizing with 9 only utilities.

That said, I am 99% of the time in OS X.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I don't know how to vote because at work I am using only 9.2 and at home only 10.2 (though Classic is still there just in case).
  • Reply 18 of 31
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    All I use Classic for is Baldur's Gate and Myth. Other than that, everything I use runs under OS X 10.2.4. Oh, except for Age of Mythology, Worms 2, and Morrowind, which run on XP.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    using 10.2.4 now without classic, though I wish I was using 10.2.3....

10.2.4 is giving me lotsa problems... my modem can no longer connect at 56k now...
  • Reply 20 of 31
    starlandstarland Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

(crickets chirping)

I am with you! Now using 9.1 on my iMac DV SE.

I almost don't upgrade my OS until I upgrade my hardware.

So, my Classic II is still running 6.01, and my LC 475 is still running 7.1

And, planning to buy a Notebook half past year for my MA course, so maybe i will be using 10.3 and holpfully 970.