tvOS 14.5 beta code hints at redesigned Apple TV remote with center button

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The latest tvOS 14.5 beta continues to corroborate rumors that Apple is working on a redesigned remote for its Apple TV set-top boxes.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Apple on Tuesday released the sixth beta build of its upcoming tvOS 14.5 update, and according to iOS developer Steve Moser, it contains code strings that suggest a new Apple TV remote may be on the way.

In the latest beta, there is reportedly set up code that asks a user to "Press the center button or the touch surface to continue." There is no center button on current Apple TV remotes.

More evidence of a new Apple TV remote in tvOS 15.4 beta 6? During setup it asks the user to "Press the center button or the touch surface to continue." There is no center button on the current Apple TV Siri Remote pic.twitter.com/sE0H9njpZl

-- Steve Moser (@SteveMoser)

In the fifth tvOS 14.5 beta, Apple removed mentions of the "Siri remote" and replaced them with "Apple TV Remote" across the operating system. Additionally, that beta contained references to a "gen3 Apple TV remote."

Apple is rumored to be working on a next-generation "Apple TV 6" device with a refreshed remote and other updates. The device could also sport a new chipset and feature a deeper focus on gaming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Sounds like a classic home button 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Maybe an iPod clickwheel style remote. Would be a lot more sensible for lists than repeatedly scrubbing down, which was a point Apple made when the iPod was introduced and other MP3 players had touch controls. You could even have the centre button touch-sensitive so it works as a touchpad as the remote does now. But for the love of god make it bigger, less fragile and less slippery.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Is hell about to freeze over?
    Wgkrueger
  • Reply 4 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I would love 3D Touch on the remote.

elijahg said:
    Maybe an iPod clickwheel style remote. Would be a lot more sensible for lists than repeatedly scrubbing down, which was a point Apple made when the iPod was introduced and other MP3 players had touch controls. You could even have the centre button touch-sensitive so it works as a touchpad as the remote does now. But for the love of god make it bigger, less fragile and less slippery.

The size is nice. It needs a speaker and Find My support. Maybe a U1 chip.

iPhone is also slippery there’s cases for that.

Edit:

I see the terrible “Apple TV” name creeped into the name. “Apple TV Remote” is so long and clunky. “Siri Remote” was a nice name. I think Apple needs to remove “TV” from some names. For example “Apple Channels”, and “Apple Remote”. “Apple TV+” is a mess of a name.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 5 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:
    elijahg said:

The size is nice.
    Not sure that's the consensus here or elsewhere... 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    In addition to a mute button, U1, and wireless charging, I think the next remote should include Touch ID. Signing into apps using the cable company credentials is convenient, but doesn’t always work reliably (looking at you FX and AMC). 
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Japhey said:
    In addition to a mute button, U1, and wireless charging, I think the next remote should include Touch ID. Signing into apps using the cable company credentials is convenient, but doesn’t always work reliably (looking at you FX and AMC). 
    So you want the price to jump $20?  Parts for wireless charging aren't free.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    nicholfd said:
    Japhey said:
    So you want the price to jump $20?  Parts for wireless charging aren't free.
    They’re not? I didn’t know that until just now. I just assumed they grew on trees somewhere at Apple Park. 

Anyway, $20 is a bit extreme, isn’t it? Considering the glut of sub $10 wireless chargers on Amazon, along with high margins associated with making the same box for almost 4 years, surely Apple can swing it without such a big jump in price. And even if they can’t, the damn things already cost $200 now…another $20 won’t dissuade too many people who were planning on spending that much anyway. 
    edited April 2021