Tim Cook to talk Facebook, 'Tim Apple,' more in interview airing Monday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Apple CEO Tim Cook took part in a remote interview with journalist Kara Swisher this week, with the pair discussing topics ranging from App Store policy to the now infamous "Tim Apple" incident.

Tim Cook
Source: Kara Swisher

Cook's virtual sit-down will air on The New York Times podcast "Sway" next Monday. The show is hosted by Swisher and regularly features high profile players in tech, politics, entertainment and beyond.

According to a tweet from Swisher, the interview covers a number of topics including Apple's decision to yank right wing social app Parler from the App Store in January. The app was pulled on concerns that it was used to help "plan, coordinate, and facilitate" the storming of the U.S. Capitol and remains off Apple's marketplace, as well as Google's Play Store and Amazon's servers. Republican lawmakers are currently scrutinizing the removal.

Cook will also speak about user privacy safeguards coming to iOS, namely a new feature called App Tracking Transparency that requires developers to gain permission before tracking a user's device advertising identifier, or Identifier for Advertiser (IDFA) tag. Many users are expected to opt for more privacy, potentially leaving companies that rely heavily on ad targeting in the lurch.

Facebook is perhaps the most outspoken critic of ATT and has persistently derided the move as an attack on its business. Cook addressed the issue with Swisher:
Swisher asked: "What is your response to Facebook's response -- which is quite vehement -- calling you essentially an existential crisis to their business?" Cook answered: " All we're doing, Kara, is giving the user the choice whether to be tracked or now. And I think it's hard to argue against that. I've been -- I've been shocked that there's been pushback on this to this degree."
When asked what impact ATT might have on Facebook, Cook said, "Yeah, Kara, I'm not focused on Facebook. So I don't know."

Cook was also asked about an American Workforce Policy Advisory Board meeting in 2019, at which then-President Donald Trump called him "Tim Apple" in an apparent gaffe. He had a "good answer," Swisher says.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Trump said “Tim”... pause... “Apple”. Another way is “Tim, Apple” or “Tim and Apple”

Trump may very well have forgotten Tim’s last name. I don’t know but if you listen to the audio it’s very apparent though that he wasn’t saying Apple as Tim’s last name as the “gaffe” label implies.
    ibillJWSCspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Whilst I think personally that Zuckerberg would quite literally sell your soul for profit if he could get it, I think Apple is just about THE most hypocritical company on the planet when it comes to criticising them over ‘privacy’. 
    They publicly criticised Google and Amazon for listening to recordings captured from their devices to improve their AI services, of which Amazon I know warned you off, only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 
    They also had such weak security that simple hacking methods gained easy access to people’s personal photos.

And I’m sure there are other examples, I am in no way going to defend Facebooks privacy policies, but Apple seriously needs to get of this privacy elite trip, because it’s frankly embarrassing to see them falsely portray themselves as the saviours of privacy when they have guilt all over their hands of treating it with disrespect themselves.

Oh and let’s not forget they fully support, for profit, endless free apps that mine data from their users on a daily basis, that’s then all sold on for profit. This interview is as true today as it was when written:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-producer/

I highly recommend ‘Tim Cook’ stops with the virtue signalling and hypocrisy, and gets back to his day job and making new devices, such as launching those new iMac designs, it would be nice to refresh a design that’s 10 plus years old and is incredibly stale... which is what Apples privacy virtue signalling is fast becoming...
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Trump said “Tim”... pause... “Apple”. Another way is “Tim, Apple” or “Tim and Apple”

Trump may very well have forgotten Tim’s last name. I don’t know but if you listen to the audio it’s very apparent though that he wasn’t saying Apple as Tim’s last name as the “gaffe” label implies.
    There was literally no pause.

But y'know, you're right, Trump is definitely not an abject imbecile.
    fred1GeorgeBMacbageljoeybyronlbonobobRayz2016radarthekatjony0watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 25
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Perfect response: “All we're doing, Kara, is giving the user the choice whether to be tracked or not.”
    That’s all it is - helping people understand what’s happening and giving them a choice. Lots of people either don’t know know or don’t care, or both.  Most of us (I assume) would like to have a choice. 
    byronlzigzaglensradarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25

There was no pause whatsoever, Trump misspoke. There is really no reason to come up with excuses or attempt to rewrite what happened to defend the former President, he made a mistake while speaking just like everyone else has done in their life. 
  • Reply 6 of 25
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Peza said:
    Whilst I think personally that Zuckerberg would quite literally sell your soul for profit if he could get it, I think Apple is just about THE most hypocritical company on the planet when it comes to criticising them over ‘privacy’. 
    They publicly criticised Google and Amazon for listening to recordings captured from their devices to improve their AI services, of which Amazon I know warned you off, only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 
    They also had such weak security that simple hacking methods gained easy access to people’s personal photos.

And I’m sure there are other examples, I am in no way going to defend Facebooks privacy policies, but Apple seriously needs to get of this privacy elite trip, because it’s frankly embarrassing to see them falsely portray themselves as the saviours of privacy when they have guilt all over their hands of treating it with disrespect themselves.

Oh and let’s not forget they fully support, for profit, endless free apps that mine data from their users on a daily basis, that’s then all sold on for profit. This interview is as true today as it was when written:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-producer/

I highly recommend ‘Tim Cook’ stops with the virtue signalling and hypocrisy, and gets back to his day job and making new devices, such as launching those new iMac designs, it would be nice to refresh a design that’s 10 plus years old and is incredibly stale... which is what Apples privacy virtue signalling is fast becoming...

You are completely wrong!
    Facebook is gathering your information, to sell it further to others and in this way to make money. So, the product Facebook is selling, it is YOU. Apple’s product is the hardware we buy. And it is normal if they are gathering some information for making their hardware working better. But they don’t sell this information. They don’t make money of it. So Apple’s product is not YOU.
    badmonkevolutbageljoeybyronlbonobobDogpersonzigzaglensradarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

There was literally no pause.

But y'know, you're right, Trump is definitely not an abject imbecile.
    It’s a matter of interpretation, but knowing how Trump speaks, I hear that as “Tim, Apple...”.   It says if he is using both his name and the company name to reinforce it in his speech.  I’ve heard him do this in different ways quite a few times. It comes off as very disjointed and I can certainly see why it sounds like he said “Tim Apple” as a name.  I just think his intent was to separate the two words.
    edited April 2021 ibillspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Peza said:

The difference is probably three fold-

Degree- I think the the available information suggets that Facebook, Google and many many smaller customers monitor your behavior on device and on the internet for purposes of advertising and profit.  Installing Facebook and it’s associated Apps on your phone is tantamount to installing spyware on your device.

Motivation- Generally, I buy that the few times Apple has been caught (eg HomePod, Siri), the goal was to improve the user experience and not to directly profit or advertise.

Anonymous cloaking- to obscure specific users and make them a member of a population.

To equate Facebook and Apple is a false equivalency.  At least Google makes a pretense of protecting your privacy.

But I do agree with you that Apple needs to police the App Store better.

And along with the #virtuesignaling, you will see radical changes in Apple products with Apple Silicon over the next four years, Apple is in it for the long game.
    edited April 2021 qwerty52Dogpersonjony0spock1234watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ClassicGeekClassicGeek Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    Peza said:
    only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 

As I recall the Siri disclosure was actually in the terms of service not a “secret”. The disclosure is now more explicit, true. 

What hacking methods are you referring too?

Disclosure: I work for Apple but posts here are my own. 
    bageljoeyqwerty52tobiantpurdybyronlDogpersonjony0watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 25
    tpurdytpurdy Posts: 40member
    Tim Apple video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHVxm12NbrY (30 seconds)
    byronlwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 25
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member

You can defend him all you want, but it just makes you look dumb, too.  Try again, and listen to the recording.
    DogpersonRayz2016radarthekatjony0watto_cobrafastasleepzigzaglensmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 25
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member

Peza said:

Wrong on both statements.  In fact, even wrong about Amazon & Google.  NONE of these companies were hearing/listening to everything you say without your knowledge.  Google & Amazon were sharing the recordings that occur after you say "Hey Google", or "Alexa".  They were sharing them with contractors in 3rd world countries, and were easily accessed due to poor security.   They never notified the user they might do that.  Apple was only sharing some personally unidentifiable recordings after the activation phrase "Hey Siri".  Apple actually notified the user in the activation process or user agreement, and the user agreed to it.  It was buried, but it was there.  And Apple improved and made it opt in for future activations/OS versions.

And the "weak security" you're probably referring to is when some celebs were hacked by social engineering and/or their passwords leaked (weak, shared or re-used).  Shared/leaked/bad passwords are not the fault of the supplier (Apple, Google or Amazon).

Please read better or pay attention to the details - they matter.  When you don't, it doesn't look good for you.
    Rayz2016qwerty52radarthekatjony0spock1234watto_cobrafastasleepDetnator
  • Reply 13 of 25
    It’s a matter of interpretation, but knowing how Trump speaks, I hear that as “Tim, Apple...”.   It says if he is using both his name and the company name to reinforce it in his speech.  I’ve heard him do this in different ways quite a few times. It comes off as very disjointed and I can certainly see why it sounds like he said “Tim Apple” as a name.  I just think his intent was to separate the two words.
    Knowing Trump and the last several years of his narcissism, he just does not care to learn the names of anyone and just make some up since he does not respect anyone else. He did this a lot and often through his life. Just like he did with facts and his "alternative realities". 

Anyone with intelligence knows it is from his narcism, don't excuse it for anything else.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobrafastasleepDetnatorzigzaglens
  • Reply 14 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    I’m guessing the New York Times will skip any tough questions regarding China. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    qwerty52 said:
    Peza said:

You are completely wrong!
    Facebook is gathering your information, to sell it further to others and in this way to make money. So, the product Facebook is selling, it is YOU. Apple’s product is the hardware we buy. And it is normal if they are gathering some information for making their hardware working better. But they don’t sell this information. They don’t make money of it. So Apple’s product is not YOU.
    You don’t appear to have actually read my post, or the 7 people who upvoted your comment, I never disclaimed what Facebook do in fact condemning their actions. It’s no secret what Facebook do. So you only look foolish to claim I stated otherwise.
    And your also foolish to claim I am wrong, Apple did not inform its customers Siri was secretly recording every word you said, and then passing that recording to a third party contractor in Ireland to have those recordings listened to by staff, it is a fact only after a whistle blower released this information and Apple were caught red handed, and being utterly embarrassed and hypocritical, that they then changed their policies and only then and informed their customers in documentation this is the act they performed.
    So I stand by what I state about Apples hypocritical virtue signalling about privacy.
    crowleymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 25

Peza said:

Wrong on both statements.  In fact, even wrong about Amazon & Google.  NONE of these companies were hearing/listening to everything you say without your knowledge.  Google & Amazon were sharing the recordings that occur after you say "Hey Google", or "Alexa".  They were sharing them with contractors in 3rd world countries, and were easily accessed due to poor security.   They never notified the user they might do that.  Apple was only sharing some personally unidentifiable recordings after the activation phrase "Hey Siri".  Apple actually notified the user in the activation process or user agreement, and the user agreed to it.  It was buried, but it was there.  And Apple improved and made it opt in for future activations/OS versions.

And the "weak security" you're probably referring to is when some celebs were hacked by social engineering and/or their passwords leaked (weak, shared or re-used).  Shared/leaked/bad passwords are not the fault of the supplier (Apple, Google or Amazon).

Please read better or pay attention to the details - they matter.  When you don't, it doesn't look good for you.
    Firstly your first sentence clearly shows you did not properly read what I posted, and your second comment lacks any validity unless you can unequivocally provide proof that these third parties were easily accessed due to poor security.
    Your also 100% wrong about Apple informing anyone about Siri recordings being passed onto third parties to listen to, they only notified their customers after they were caught doing it. Amazon actually informed you they did it before then.

And again you are wrong about the weak security in iCloud, because Apple did not introduce two factor authentication, despite being warned to, till after celebrities were hacked and Apple as a result was sued. Thus it had weak security.

You seem have twisted a lot of reality here to suit your Apple bias argument.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240230859/Apple-pushes-security-and-privacy-credentials-after-iCloud-hack
    edited April 2021 crowley
  • Reply 17 of 25

Peza said:
    only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 

As I recall the Siri disclosure was actually in the terms of service not a “secret”. The disclosure is now more explicit, true. 

What hacking methods are you referring too?

Disclosure: I work for Apple but posts here are my own. 
    No, read the reports, Apple did not disclose to anyone in its licensing that Siri recordings were passed onto third parties to be listened to:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2020/06/08/did-iphone-customers-consent-to-siri-eavesdropping-on-their-conversations/

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/26/apple-contractors-regularly-hear-confidential-details-on-siri-recordings 

Apples response to the act AFTER the whistle blower leaked the story:

http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/08/improving-siris-privacy-protections/

And yet Apple continues to act in defiance of their press statement according to the same whistle blower:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/21/apple-iphone-ipad-privacy-siri-recordings-ios-upgrade-iphone-11-pro-max-update/?sh=7bf09b893fc5
    crowley
  • Reply 18 of 25

badmonk said:
    Peza said:

The difference is probably three fold-

Degree- I think the the available information suggets that Facebook, Google and many many smaller customers monitor your behavior on device and on the internet for purposes of advertising and profit.  Installing Facebook and it’s associated Apps on your phone is tantamount to installing spyware on your device.

Motivation- Generally, I buy that the few times Apple has been caught (eg HomePod, Siri), the goal was to improve the user experience and not to directly profit or advertise.

Anonymous cloaking- to obscure specific users and make them a member of a population.

To equate Facebook and Apple is a false equivalency.  At least Google makes a pretense of protecting your privacy.

But I do agree with you that Apple needs to police the App Store better.

And along with the #virtuesignaling, you will see radical changes in Apple products with Apple Silicon over the next four years, Apple is in it for the long game.
    I agree with Google, everyone attacks them, yet all they want to do is advertise to you, they get revenue from many streams, but they do not sell your ‘personal data’ like many mistakingly believe, they just have a business model based in advertising, among other revenues like charging ISP’s for Google searches etc.

Facebook believes that they own all the data you post to their site, indeed the EUD states as such, their model is advertising but they also DO sell your data they collect, they tell you as such, IMO they are far worst then Google or Amazon. I don’t use them for that reason.

However, to use these examples as an ‘excuse’ for Apple is pretty deplorable, you know what the others do, they do not state to you in advertising campaigns they protect your security. Apple did and still does, yet they did not inform their customers they also record everything you say, sometimes without knowingly activating Siri, and third parties listen to said recording. As stated in my link above the original whistle blower that stated what Apple was doing, without the users knowledge, they still do to this day ignoring regulations it seems in some cases. Take from that what you will, but it was after this very same person leaked what Apple were doing when Apple released a public statement in it.

So Apple are hypocritical when it comes to security and privacy. All they do is virtue signalling, and allow endless freemium apps to record everything they can about their users and freely sell that data on.

With Apple it’s not so much the acts they do, it’s the fact they do not inform their users heat they do, whilst criticising others over their privacy policies. That’s my issue with them, it builds distrust with the company.
    I won’t stop using Google, they are damn good at web searches, I won’t stop using Amazon or Alexa as it’s miles better then Siri, and both companies tell me what they do, and have consistently done so, with my data. Apple does not and yet is the one virtue signalling about privacy as an ad campaign. I’ll still continue to use their products, for now. But will keep an eye on their security and privacy related stories.

Interesting what you say about Apple hardware though, see how that plays out.
    crowley
  • Reply 19 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,703member

Some people just love to hate on the guy no matter what, so even if he was just associating Tim with Apple, he can’t win. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 20 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Some people just love to hate on the guy no matter what, so even if he was just associating Tim with Apple, he can’t win. 

Would you want to raise your children to lie about everything and to stab people in the back, degrade women, forego all sense of decency, choose to go nuclear by suing whenever anyone criticized them, employ cronyism and back room deals to cheat the system, setup obvious scams to rip people off, use their position of power to profit themselves, and ignore the health and well-being of their nation?  

It’s not a mere slip of the tongue that is the reason people hate someone.  
    watto_cobrafastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam