control OSX via Windows (or Linux)?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a difficult situation...

At work there is one Mac and I'm using it (its a helluva thing too, 22inch Cinema Display, 733MHz G4 with SuperDrive, 2x60GB HD, and 1.2GB RAM)

No one else was using it so I obviously appropriated myself of it.

Nonetheless, we are going to want to test a Java application and one of our programmers is gonna obviously need to use the Mac to compile and write java and use it in conjunction. I want to keep it, also because I'm using it more and more as my everyday workstation.

Is there anyway for him to use the mac from his desk while I keep it firmly at mine? Multiple users? From Windows?

Seems like a long shot, but worth asking...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    VNC is what you want.

Versiontracker
  • Reply 2 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    but can they be logged in to a different account? Like their own and I continue work with my login?

Which actually work on Windows (or Linux)?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    uhm.... don't know. ask somone who uses VNC. sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'm someone that actually uses VNC. In fact, I'm using it to type this message right now on a lab computer accessing my Mac back in my dorm!

Sorry, but I'm afraid that VNC isn't exactly what you're looking for. \ In fact, I don't think there is anyything that can do what you want because Mac OS X can't run apps in secondary window managers.

The way VNC works is it transmits a live image of your screen to a window on another computer. From that second computer, you can control the mouse and keyboard and thereby use the Mac as if it was sitting right in front of you. To get acceptable performance and screen refreshing, you MUST be on a LAN or have a very large upstream on a broadband connection from the Mac. It also helps if you switch the resolution down to something more manageable like 800*600 or 1024*768.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    which can be used via Wondows? We are on a fast LAN, so that shouldnt be a problem...

I fundamentally want to make sure that he doesnt use and then keep "my" mac

I can use the mac while he is using it too, right?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    It?s been awhile since I used it, but I think not. You will see on your screen what he is doing, and if you use your machine, he would see what you are doing. There would be only one mouse and you would be battling for control of it.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Yes, there is a VNC client for Windows. It's free.
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

It's been awhile since I used it, but I think not. You will see on your screen what he is doing, and if you use your machine, he would see what you are doing. There would be only one mouse and you would be battling for control of it.

Exactly.

Sorry, I was starting to make this pont above and didn't finish it.

He would *literally* be like he was sitting in front of the computer. He sees what you are doing. You see what he is doing. You battle for control.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ah well, better than givin him the whole computer

Although I'd like to get some of the programmers in touch with OSX as they seem to be curious about it (and most all prefer Linux to Windoze). I just dont want to give up my wonderful baby!!! \
  • Reply 9 of 11
    btw, which is the best, or better, VNC for Windows that he could use? What do you recommend?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

btw, which is the best, or better, VNC for Windows that he could use? What do you recommend?

WOW... I don't think you understand. VNC will not work for you. I repeat: it will NOT work for you.

With VNC, only one person can use the computer at a time. If you try to use VNC, this other person would be using the computer and you would sit down to your desk to see the mouse (on the screen) moving. If you then touched the mouse, this other person would see it move from what you did. Think of it like having too keyboards and two mice (mouses?) hooked up to one computer--> just because you have two of each does not mean two people can work on it: it's still one computer!

The only kinds of apps he/she can run from your computer without interfering with your work would be X11 apps.

Sorry!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    drumbug1: I think he realizes that but still wants to give it a try anyway.

That said, just Google for something like "VNC Windows client" -- that's what I did.

Here's where I got one for my friend's PC:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

Just ignore all the form fields. Entering that stuff is all optional.