In defense of Apple's iPhone Leather Wallet with MagSafe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    P.S. I use ApplePay most of the time, but a few places where I must shop don’t take it (I’m looking at you, Home Depot!). Also, it does come off in my pocket when pulling out my phone sometimes, even with Dad jeans. Maybe a slightly bigger card pocket with a springy metal clip inside to hold one card firmly, but to allow two more cards or a couple of folded bills. Hardly ever use cash, but sometimes need it for tips and such. 

That's one of the reasons I don't shop at Home Depot.   I have always figured that accepting ApplePay is sign that they care about me and my business.  So, if they don't care about me then I have no reason to give them my money.  There are other places that do care about me and my business, so I shop there.
    robin huberStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I really like mine for those times when I can travel light. I do wish it had a little more internal space.
    For the time being, I really like to carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card and my license along with an insurance card/car registration.
    Dining out is still the biggest driver of needing to carry a physical card.

For me, that would be the equivalent as three credit cards. If I squeeze my ID into the wallet, it does become difficult to remove anything and I resort to detaching the wallet from the phone and tapping it on a table to extract a card.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    mr lizard said:
    “A magnetic wallet that sometimes stays on and sometimes doesn’t depending on your clothing is a valid criticism. Implying or pretending that it isn’t a problem at all is just pointless.”
    I’ve been using a MagSafe wallet since it became available. I thought I would use on rare occasions but it has actually become my main wallet. I can testify that many early video reviews essentially make a lot of false or at least misleading claims about this product’s supposed failings, presumably for clicks and views. While I don’t wear skinny jeans, my clothes are in no way “baggy.” They are normal fitting jeans, slacks, and shorts. I’ve never had an issue where the wallet has become detached unintentionally.

I do have some complaints about the product, but none are related to its build quality or its ability to stay firmly connected to the iPhone. I wouldn’t mind having a little more capacity in the wallet, as I can only fit about 3 cards in it. Also, it would be great if Apple (or some third party vendor) could figure out a way to stagger the cards so it would be easier to retrieve the specific card that you need. As it is right now, I can only easily retrieve the backmost card, if I need one of the other two I have to remove all the cards from the wallet to get them out. That said I find these to be relatively minor complaints about a product that has surprisingly become something I use with pleasure nearly every day.
    stompyStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Japhey said:
    P.S. I use ApplePay most of the time, but a few places where I must shop don’t take it (I’m looking at you, Home Depot!). Also, it does come off in my pocket when pulling out my phone sometimes, even with Dad jeans. Maybe a slightly bigger card pocket with a springy metal clip inside to hold one card firmly, but to allow two more cards or a couple of folded bills. Hardly ever use cash, but sometimes need it for tips and such. 
    Not trying to sound like a dick here, but if they made all the changes you require in order to love it, then what you’ll end up with is…a regular wallet. Maybe you should just stick with one of those. The MagSafe wallet isn’t for everybody, nor was it intended to be. You’re obviously one of the people it wasn’t intended for, and that’s ok. 
    I hear you, but don’t think it’s either or. I’m asking for the thickness of one extra card and/or a pull-out ribbon. Remember the magical metal Apple was touting some years ago—the only product to use it was the little poker that used to ship with the phone to remove the SIMM card. Light, thin, springy so could make a small clip inside. Yes, the “max” wallet would be marginally thicker and heavier, but so was the Max iPhone when it appeared. Hardly a fail. Different strokes. 
  • Reply 25 of 36
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member

Love/hate relationship with mine. Had it since debut. Love the idea, but must carry three cards: driver’s license, main credit card, Costco card for gas. As a retired guy I feel a bit vulnerable without my Medicare and Part B cards, especially when out of my local area. So, lots of card shuffling which would be okay, but none of my cards have the old embossed numbers so nothing for my thumb to get a purchase on. So I find myself taking the wallet off the phone, knocking the corner of it in a hard surface to get the cards out just far enough to bite the corner of a card to pull them out. Add a mask and it’s worse. Love it, hate it. A pull ribbon sewed into the bottom of the card pocket would help—some wallets have them. 

Why not try carrying the CostCo card and medical cards in your now useless old wallet in the glove box of your car?   Most glove boxes can be locked.  That's what I've been doing and it seems the only time I access it is when I need to use the credit card that's in there or going to see a physician or when voting (I carry my registration card there).
    Actually, I do that already with miscellaneous membership cards, etc. in the center console armrest box. Great idea, will give it a try, thanks!
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Works great for me. I carry my drivers license, backup credit card, and health insurance card. That's all I need 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time (when I might need cash, or maybe some business cards), I put my regular wallet in my pocket too.

I don't try to "slap on" the wallet and expect it to align perfectly. Why would you ever do that??? I just place it on and if by rare chance it didn't line up perfectly, it takes a millisecond to straighten it.
    firelockStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 36
    I’ve got one and it’s replaced my wallet. But I am disappointed with the quality. All its done is be in my pocket. Not got wet or dropped. The stitching has repeatedly covered in what I can only imagine is glue from the wallet that has maybe sweated out from warmth of the pocket. I’ve picked it off but it’s a bit unsightly and I wonder if that’ll make it less durable.  Ow I’ve found the lining has separated at the top from the layer that protects the cards from the magnet, so metal is exposed. Am tempted to take it back to the Apple Store but wonder if they’ll just shrug. 
  • Reply 28 of 36
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’ve got one and it’s replaced my wallet. But I am disappointed with the quality. All its done is be in my pocket. Not got wet or dropped. The stitching has repeatedly covered in what I can only imagine is glue from the wallet that has maybe sweated out from warmth of the pocket. I’ve picked it off but it’s a bit unsightly and I wonder if that’ll make it less durable.  Ow I’ve found the lining has separated at the top from the layer that protects the cards from the magnet, so metal is exposed. Am tempted to take it back to the Apple Store but wonder if they’ll just shrug. 
    If you have an Apple Store conveniently located nearby or plan on being around one, then I would definitely try to return it. Because that should not be happening this early on. Chances are, they’ll blame it on user error. But if it costs nothing to cheek, you might end up pleasantly surprised. 
    mpw_amherststompyStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 36
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Japhey said:
    ... Ow I’ve found the lining has separated at the top from the layer that protects the cards from the magnet, so metal is exposed....
    If you have an Apple Store conveniently located nearby or plan on being around one, then I would definitely try to return it. Because that should not be happening this early on. Chances are, they’ll blame it on user error. But if it costs nothing to cheek, you might end up pleasantly surprised. 
    echo what Japhey said, return if convenient. Could be a materials defect or it's just not durable enough? I'd hope Apple wants examples like this back so they can identify failures and improve the product. 
    mpw_amherst
  • Reply 30 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    mr lizard said:
    There’s enough videos out there which confirm that this issue depends entirely on what type of clothing you’re wearing. If it’s skinny jeans or the pocket is tight, the wallet can slide off. If it’s baggy jeans or the pocket is lose, the wallet doesn’t slide off. 

A magnetic wallet that sometimes stays on and sometimes doesn’t depending on your clothing is a valid criticism. Implying or pretending that it isn’t a problem at all is just pointless
    Not really. There are compromises with many things in life, and if you’re wearing very tight clothing, of course there are comprises with that as well. This is just obvious, common sense. 

I have it tho, and in what I consider normal pants there’s absolutely no issue. And as he noted, the naked glass back surface is more slippery than when using the silicon case which stops almost all movement. Again, compromises. 

Do you have one? You have these problems?
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 31 of 36

If you have to carry a money clip, you haven’t really solved a problem with that wallet, have you?
    Depends on how fat your regular wallet is. 

For me, this is not an end-all everything wallet, but is only for going out — one card, drivers license, and a $20 or $100 bill. Most times I don’t even need to use the bill. It’s super slim and comfortable and I’m not concerned with work badges, library cards or any other crap. 
  • Reply 32 of 36

robaba said:
    Call me an uninformed Luddite, but don’t credit cards still have a magnetic strip on the back?  Wont storing it next to a huge frickin magnet foul them up?  Seriously not trying to troll, what am I missing?
    Experience with the product?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Japhey said:
    I doubt they would. In my experience Apple is pretty cool during the warranty period. 
  • Reply 34 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike1 said:
    I really like mine for those times when I can travel light. I do wish it had a little more internal space.
    For the time being, I really like to carry 1 credit card, 1 debit card and my license along with an insurance card/car registration.
    Dining out is still the biggest driver of needing to carry a physical card.

For me, that would be the equivalent as three credit cards. If I squeeze my ID into the wallet, it does become difficult to remove anything and I resort to detaching the wallet from the phone and tapping it on a table to extract a card.

None of my business, and a little off topic but, why would you carry a debit card along with a credit card.
    To me, debit cards are open invitations into my checking account.  Mine never leave my desk.  I would cut them up if they weren't needed for necessary functions no and again.

Yes, technically, they give you the same fraud protection that credit cards do.   But that's on paper.  When somebody steals money from a debit card its your money they steal and its gone till the bank decided to refund it.  With a credit card, they're stealing the bank's money.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Japhey said:
    Thanks very much to you and Stompy for your replies. Apple are sending postage to return it and will then ship me a replacement. I hope it is just an issue with this one as I've not used my old wallet since getting the Magsafe in November.
    GeorgeBMacJaphey
  • Reply 36 of 36
    sdw2001 said:
    I’ve been looking for a solution. I have a money clip that carries cards. Admittedly I have not been quick on the uptake with NFC payment. I have Apple Pay set up for my cards but I still end up using the cards.  Likely my age...I’m 45 and have been using cards since I was 16.  

It's habit, not age. I'm 61 and use my Apple Watch for everything. I just sigh when I actually have to pull out a wallet or my phone; they're so archaic.