PPC 970 date?

Comments

• Reply 161 of 344
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    Thats exciting, I could see this all rolling together nicely for this...imagine.... FCP 4 (which could stay 32bit until a 4.01 and then go 64 bit..but...) is out in June, and WWDC released PPC970 based macs, then DVDSP and Shake kick in soon after in 64bit, and judging on Apple, if they released their 970 systems, a 1-2 month delay after ordering is expected. I still go for a WWDC release for the 970, i'd be dissapointed if it took longer. I think I am going to hold off on my purchases of Apple hardware until the 970 comes out. It seems foolish to buy a system that will be DESTROYED by these new products that will be out FOR SURE within 1 year of my purchase. Makes ya think, doesn't it?
  • Reply 162 of 344
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    from MacBidouille :

"Yesterday, Peter Sandon - father of the PPC970 - gave his ok to go to production. The PPC970 is exempt of any bugs and good to go. As of April 15, it will be manufactured in IBM fabs and integrated in IBM Blade servers at the end of june (and of course in Apple Macintosh)."

Can't wait !

edit: spelling
  • Reply 163 of 344
    Full translation, with some changes:

Up to now, all PowerPC 970 processors manufactured have been prototypes, made for testing purposes. The 970 is now considered completely bug-free and ready for production. Yesterday, Peter Sandon ? father of the 970 ? gave the green light.

As of April 15, the 970 will be manufactured in quantity in IBM factories. Starting the end of June, the chips will be integrated in IBM Blade servers and in Apple systems. One may note the proximity of the dates for IBM's introduction and WWDC. Knowing Apple, they have probably negotiated for an exclusive rollout a few days early.
  • Reply 164 of 344
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Must - fight - the urge - to hope.

Now watch them first be in Xserves and delayed for the PowerMacs until late September. (Ah there, a refreshing splash of pessimism).

Screed
  • Reply 165 of 344
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    No mention of chip speeds?
  • Reply 166 of 344
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    We, and Apple, will be facing the fact that the 970's clock speed will be equal or only mildly higher than the G4, but the actual processing power will be much greater (irrespective of its 64-bitness, as discussed to death). So there's a perception gap Apple will have to drag users across.

We might see a "bakeoff" (one last time and hopefully not just Photoshop) of the P4, G4 and the 970 (imagine a 3GHz, a dual 1.4 and a single 1.4 and the 970, hopefully, wiping the floor with the others).

Apple will be in a position to talk a lot about the speed (that hasn't happened in good, long while). I wonder how Steve will sell it?

Come to think of it, when was the last time Steve committed some actual RDF on PowerMacs?? When they introduced the Superdrive?? Sheesh, it's been a bit, hasn't it?!

Screed
  • Reply 167 of 344
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

a refreshing splash of pessimism

... a smack of reality's Aqua Velva ...

Great phrase sCreeD

(think I'll borrow it)

• Reply 168 of 344
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

from MacBidouille :

"Yesterday, Peter Sandon - father of the PPC970 - has give his ok to go to production. The PPC970 is exempt of any bugs en good to go. As of April 15, it will be manufactured in IBM fabs. It will be integrated in IBM Blade servers at the end of june and of course in Apple Macintosh."

Can't wait !

When is WWDC? May or something? Maybe we'll see an unveiling of something wicked!
  • Reply 169 of 344
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Mmmmm, bake-off cookies!
  • Reply 170 of 344
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

When is WWDC? May or something? Maybe we'll see an unveiling of something wicked!

A comment that truly shows you need to spend WAY more time in this forum...

While in years past (always?) Apple has held WWDC in May this year it's been moved to June (and before you ask) MWNY has indeed been canceled and kinda replaced with a show called 'Create' (blech) that will NOT have Steve Jobs as a keynote speaker.

Dave
  • Reply 171 of 344
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It was, Steve moved it back to June and that's why everyone think he postponed for the 970 launch. This article seems to say that the 970 will be ready by then.
  • Reply 172 of 344
    I had a dream last night that on apples web site they had anounced the 970 machines. the only info on them was a teaser apple store looking page, same way its set up now with the 4 powermac versions, but like 6-7 versions with no pictures just prices and a little info on features and weird names like 3452gi 68349 for the different models. Prices ranged from 1200 to 18000. and we were all going crazy talking about it
  • Reply 173 of 344
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

I had a dream last night that on apples web site they had anounced the 970 machines. the only info on them was a teaser apple store looking page, same way its set up now with the 4 powermac versions, but like 6-7 versions with no pictures just prices and a little info on features and weird names like 3452gi 68349 for the different models. Prices ranged from 1200 to 18000. and we were all going crazy talking about it

$18,000!?!?!? Damn, don't let Matsu see that!
  • Reply 174 of 344
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

... a smack of reality's Aqua Velva ...

Sounds like something The Tick might say.

(Damn! Why'd they have to cancel that show!?)
  • Reply 175 of 344
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

We, and Apple, will be facing the fact that the 970's clock speed will be equal or only mildly higher than the G4, but the actual processing power will be much greater (irrespective of its 64-bitness, as discussed to death). So there's a perception gap Apple will have to drag users across.

True. The "megahertz myth" is actually going to be more of a problem with the 970, because there will be more of a performance/mhz differential than with the G4.
  • Reply 176 of 344
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

No mention of chip speeds?

They're planning to roll them out at 400MHz, 450MHz and 500MHz this June.

*running*
  • Reply 177 of 344
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    poll:

if you were apple/jobs and you are going to release 907s in August. would you

a) switch to a AMD type raiting* - Power Mac 4800 (dual 1.8 hgz.) meaning it runs some aps like a 4.8 gig intel.

b) find a different way to explain mzh...

*the hard part of this is how / what benchmarks do you use?

1) ones that ususally favor intel chips anyway,

2) zd type office benchmarks (knowing M$ does not optimize as much as they do for the win versions)

3) graphic benchamrks that show graphic programs benched. main problem is adobe does no opti. certain apps like after effects ...

4) unix benchmarks - then pc people say - yah what about win benchmarks

???

the toughest part is that i have a feeling that there are going to me some goodies on the mother board (vector? GPU? new nvida card with apple extensions, much faster altivec) that makes a rating either that much more worthwhile or worthless.
  • Reply 178 of 344
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

*running*

So they'll be equal in speed to what we have now?
  • Reply 179 of 344
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

if you were apple/jobs and you are going to release 907s in August. would you

a) switch to a AMD type raiting* - Power Mac 4800 (dual 1.8 hgz.) meaning it runs some aps like a 4.8 gig intel.

b) find a different way to explain mzh...

I've said it before: peak operations per second. It allows you to truthfully put forth a wildly high number, it isn't too technical-sounding, and it combines into a cute acronym: POPS.
  • Reply 180 of 344
    bootsboots Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

*running*

It's true, but those will be the new FSB speeds.

boots