Next-gen Apple TV could output 120Hz video, beta code suggests

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2021
Code strings discovered in the latest tvOS 14.5 beta release suggest an expected next-generation Apple TV device will support 120Hz video output.

Current Apple TV models do not incorporate hardware capable of streaming 120Hz 4K content. Aside from internal silicon and operating system limitations, the set-top box's reliance on HDMI 2.0 restricts 4K refresh rates to 60Hz (85Hz at a 16:9 ratio).

According to code uncovered by 9to5Mac, however, Apple appears to be preparing tvOS software for a model capable of outputting high-resolution video at 120Hz. The publication claims multiple instances of text strings including "120Hz" and "supports120Hz" have been added to PineBoard, the system responsible for Apple TV's user interface.

If legitimate, the code suggests a next-generation Apple TV will incorporate the HDMI 2.1 specification to support 120Hz output in 4K.

Apple is widely rumored to unveil a so-called "Apple TV 6" device sometime this year. The revamped streamer is expected to boast a more powerful processor, enhanced gaming capabilities and a redesigned remote control.

More recent rumbling hint at a launch in the coming months, potentially at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    I see zero use for an AppleTV now I have the Apple TV+ app on my Samsung TV.
    What is the device’s purpose other than supporting users that don’t have such a smart TV yet?

Unless Apple would positioned it more as a console as well, including an exclusive game line-up?
    doozydozenelijahgAutigerMarkwilliamlondonkkqd1337
  • Reply 2 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is the first I’ve heard about a potential WWDC announcement. But if Apple is really going all in on gaming, as LOvetodream suggested last fall, then that date starts to make more sense. I’m hoping we won’t have to wait that long, however. Maybe tomorrow will be the day we finally get confirmation on this mythical spring event (fingers crossed).
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Cheaper streaming devices from Roku and most sold smart TVs today support airplay2 and AppleTV+ App; It's time for Apple build it's own cheaper single SOC based HDMI plug-in streaming device and let the current AppleTV box to go unless Apple has plan for M1 based massive multi-core CPU/GPU console that completes well against XBOX and PS5.

edited April 2021 elijahgdoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 46
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    What is the device’s purpose other than supporting users that don’t have such a smart TV yet?

Unless Apple would positioned it more as a console as well, including an exclusive game line-up?
    You can’t count on TV manufacturers updating their Apps after a couple of years, and that includes Samsung, even though it is more reliable in that respect than others.  Others may not even have an ATV app, still. A smart TV box is a much cheaper option than a whole new Tele.   

But yes, Apple should probably try to get real about games for the Apple ATV, or more generally.  Something it hasn't done for well, ever.  At least 120 Hz is a sign Apple is at least pondering doing so.
    edited April 2021 gregoriusmcjcoopsdoozydozenequality72521twokatmewmike1llamaBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 46
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer the UI of my ATV to all the other smart devices in my house. These include tv’s, smart Blu-ray players,Fire sticks, PS4, etc…The UI is just more intuitive to me than those other devices. Also, it’s tight integration with all of my other Apple gear and services, data privacy, Fitness+, and screen savers make it my streamer of choice. After my iPhone, it’s actually my second most used Apple product. It’s not perfect, of course…The TV app is a mess, and the remote’s issues are well documented; but it’s still better than my alternatives.  Still holding out hope for that massive gaming upgrade next gen. 
    edited April 2021 gregoriusmDogpersonmuthuk_vanalingamdoozydozenrezwitsoberpongololliverequality72521williamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 46
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 809member
    Japhey said:

I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer the UI of my ATV to all the other smart devices in my house. These include tv’s, smart Blu-ray players,Fire sticks, PS4, etc…The UI is just more intuitive to me than those other devices. Also, it’s tight integration with all of my other Apple gear and services, data privacy, Fitness+, and screen savers make it my streamer of choice. After my iPhone, it’s actually my second most used Apple product. It’s not perfect, of course…The TV app is a mess, and the remote’s issues are well documented; but it’s still better than my alternatives.  Still holding out hope for that massive gaming upgrade next gen. 
    Ditto. AirPods work so well with Apple TV.
    gregoriusmdoozydozenoberpongololliverequality72521williamlondonrandominternetpersonlkruppBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 46
    entropys said:

You can’t count on TV manufacturers updating their Apps after a couple of years, and that includes Samsung, even though it is more reliable in that respect than others.  Others may not even have an ATV app, still. A smart TV box is a much cheaper option than a whole new Tele.   

But yes, Apple should probably try to get real about games for the Apple ATV, or more generally.  Something it hasn't done for well, ever.  At least 120 Hz is a sign Apple is at least pondering doing so.
    BINGO.

I have a late 2016 LG 4K that’s no longer getting new apps (no HBO Max), or updates.
    gregoriusmdoozydozenwilliamlondontwokatmewBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 46
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    1. How many existing programs (TV or movies) have already been recorded in 120 FPS so far? Couldn't be too many, since I could find only 3 doing a 3 minute web search.
    2. Have Apple's programs for Apple TV+ been (secretly?) recorded in 120 FPS?
    3. For countries with 100 Hz power limitations, would Apple TV be limited to 100 FPS there? (To match the TVs?)
    4. I've heard of some computer games that can do 120 FPS, but that requires special video cards. If this rumour is true, that the chip in the Apple TV can render at 120 Hz, does that imply that Apple's next M chips will have the ability to render at 120 FPS?
    5. I remember when Ted Turner wanted to colourize his back catalog of movies. He did some. It wasn't too will received. Will people want old non-120Hz shows to be 120-ized using similar technology? I would think that animated films could "remaster" their programs more easily than live action shows. Especially when the movie is generated from computer software. It wouldn't be too hard to get Pixar films re-rendered to 120 FPS.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 108member
    Japhey said:

Plus Smart TV lack of privacy...
    https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/
    even then
    ”You can’t stop all data collection without disconnecting the set from the internet, but you can turn off ACR.”

My “smart” Sony A8 Oled tv is disconnected from any network ( i connected it briefly to update the tv firmware and laugh at the google tv ads that are put on your smart tv screen...), the Atv 4k is great and updated, and i use a Harmony Elite to control tv, Atv, cable box, optical audio switcher and a B&W soundbar - so i don’t need to whine about the Atv remore either.
    Dogpersonbaconstangdoozydozenlolliverequality72521williamlondontwokatmewrandominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 46
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    The device’s purpose is obvious to me. I use it for what it does without having to use the “smarts” from a party other than Apple.  So, quite the opposite for me, it is the “smart part” of a TV that I find useless. 

Not all smart TV owners accept to connect it to the Internet! (especially one from samsung). 

I own a smart TV because that’s all you can find these days. What I really want is a TV that has good image quality at a good price, but that is as dumb as possible! 
    I just couldn’t find one! I suspect the smarts of a TV are seen by the manufacturer not as extra cost, but extra profit by its ability to invade your privacy. 

I’m fine with Apple TV and love it. In addition to the above, I’m very happy not to have to use those complex TV remotes. I do everything with Apple remote (either Siri remote, or an iPhone), including turning on/off the TV 
    WisemanbaconstangDoctorQrezwitsrundhvidlolliverequality72521williamlondontwokatmewgregoriusm
  • Reply 11 of 46
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    1. How many existing programs (TV or movies) have already been recorded in 120 FPS so far? Couldn't be too many, since I could find only 3 doing a 3 minute web search.
    3. For countries with 100 Hz power limitations, would Apple TV be limited to 100 FPS there? (To match the TVs?)
    4. I've heard of some computer games that can do 120 FPS, but that requires special video cards. If this rumour is true, that the chip in the Apple TV can render at 120 Hz, does that imply that Apple's next M chips will have the ability to render at 120 FPS?
    5. I remember when Ted Turner wanted to colourize his back catalog of movies. He did some. It wasn't too will received. Will people want old non-120Hz shows to be 120-ized using similar technology? I would think that animated films could "remaster" their programs more easily than live action shows. Especially when the movie is generated from computer software. It wouldn't be too hard to get Pixar films re-rendered to 120 FPS.
    They're all recorded in 120Hz or higher. They just bouncing down to 60Hz when releasing them to the public. Movies are being recorded in 8K/16K standard with much higher FPS but you don't see the original cuts. Or do you think what you see on the TV was the original 1:1 from the Camera/Audio/FPS to the theater/home?

Nearly every model of TV is now standardized on 120Hz and upscaling to 240Hz. Wake up. 120Hz isn't that impressive, just a necessary bump to make sure the  new Apple TV is viable.

Apple Arcade is expanding considerably. Anyone who thinks playing that w/o an AppleTV must want to stream directly from their Mac to the TV. I'll prefer the AppleTV to house the games and Streaming TV services thank you very much, especially when older quality TVs get locked out.
    revenantdoozydozenrezwitslolliverequality72521gregoriusmllamaBeats
  • Reply 12 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Japhey said:

I have the exact opposite opinion. I prefer the UI of my TV to the ATV's, particularly that terrible remote. I have no plans to buy any updated ATV...unless it does something new and unique. And I can't imagine something like that coming...or being of use to me. YMMV. 
    williamlondonllama
  • Reply 13 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member

The most important functionality that Apple TV provides for me:

1. The Apple TV HD and 4K with the Spectrum app installed completely replaces the need for the cable TV set top box. This allows me to access all of my cable channels on any TV or monitor with an Apple TV attached, no cable connection required. 

2. My best audio system is the one attached to my home theater system with AV receiver. I can listen to my entire Apple Music collection in the cloud or stream music from any of my Macs using Home Sharing. Setting the Apple TV screensaver to use my Apple Photos collection is a bonus. 

3. The Apple TV user experience, from the UI to performance, for other apps is substantially better than what is provided by any of my smart or semi-smart TVs. I have mostly LG and Visio TVs so your experience may be different. 

4. AirPlay

5. Single sign-on for content apps tied to your TV provider

6. Bluetooth keyboard support 

7. HomePod support 

8. HomeKit support

Your experience and access to equivalent functionality may differ based on your TV and/or Apple TV alternative, e.g., Roku, but for me Apple TV is such a natural fit within Apple’s ecosystem, is very easy to configure, and has been super reliable (I have 4 of them). Yes, you’re paying a premium for the seamlessness, but that’s par for the course with Apple. 

About the remote ... once I found an Apple TV silicone case for the remote all of the issues that I had with the remote went away. The lack of a mute function was never an issue for me, and still isn’t. 
    WisemanDoctorQrezwitslolliverequality72521gregoriusmWgkruegerqwerty52Beats
  • Reply 14 of 46
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    This will make the flames on the Yule log look SO much better!
    Wisemangregoriusm
  • Reply 15 of 46
    I could really use a new Apple TV with more memory and faster CPUs ... I have trouble with the 4K having to reboot it often because of the size of my media library.

I get a lot of glitches due to which I suspect is memory limitations both in browsing my media library and in playback pause/resume as well as movement through the timeline, but in H.264 and H.265.

• Reply 16 of 46
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    about time! I was hoping this would come.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 46
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Herz is not frames per second. 
    doozydozenwilliamlondonWgkruegerJBSloughllama
  • Reply 18 of 46
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    The only reason I see for a higher refresh rate is gaming. 

Nobody wants to watch movies or tv at high refresh rates or higher frame rates, it simply cheapens the look. Peter Jackson tried it with The Hobbit ten years ago, and how did that catch on...?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vulture.com/amp/2019/07/motion-smoothing-is-ruining-cinema.html
    dewmellama
  • Reply 19 of 46
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Wiseman said:

I cannot live without my Apple TV setup box

DITTO

You know one thing I get tired of reading are post from guys who are NOT,
    fully entrenched, in the Apple eco-system.  It's always these posts from guys:

HomePod sucks
    Watch sucks
    TV sucks
    Siri sucks

I sit back and laugh all the time.

I don't want to post a huge list like above which are all spot on, but.

Here is something that I just love tho, that they'll think is a lie
    but whatever it's so laughable:

When I am at home and utter the words "Hey Siri"

Like a crescendo 5-8 devices all SIMULTANEOUSLY goto work
    on doing whatever that request is synchronized and in unision
    no duplicates no BS.
    AppleTV is limited because I haven't tried to add pickles to my grocery list.

It's so silly how this is all integrated now.

Can't wait for 120Hz/FPS TV 6 (4K)!!

TV number 6, this wil #7, NEVER LOOKING BACK!

oh 4 rooms with AppleTVs and music in everyroom on whim, so silly.
    Get ENTRENCHED, do the work, align your systems and enjoy...

ROOKIES, (oh and a, see ya Cortana)
    edited April 2021 mike1Wgkrueger
  • Reply 20 of 46
    120Hz is not just for gaming. It's also better for reproducing motion in 24 fps films, specifically scenes with panning of the camera. If the Hz number is not an exact multiple of 24 (like 24 x 5 = 120) then you're much more likely to get noticeable judder with camera movement in a film.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate-60hz-vs-120hz
    williamlondonzimmie