Next-gen Apple TV could output 120Hz video, beta code suggests

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If Apple beefs up AppleTV box to play games at console level performance than it is worth a gadget in house. Many Apps on smart TV don't get updated but on AppleTV box does. Besides streaming, it can be homekit central device to control for homekit based gadgets and appliances. Moreover, AppleTV has better UI Apps interface than Samsung TVs. Single sign-on for content apps tied to your TV provider. AirPlay2,etc. So, Apple either moves up with performance to make it formidable game console or moves down with own SOC based HDMI plug-in cheaper streaming device.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Main reason for 120hz is that movies got historically recorded at 24Fps and US TV movies/shows were recorded at 30fps. 
    (US Television Sets and power are 60HZ)
     meaning 120 Hz is the lowest frequency that can show both without interpolating frames. Unfortunately most other countries use 25/50 for tv. 
    zimmie
  • Reply 23 of 46
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:
    I see zero use for an AppleTV now I have the Apple TV+ app on my Samsung TV.
    What is the device’s purpose other than supporting users that don’t have such a smart TV yet?

Unless Apple would positioned it more as a console as well, including an exclusive game line-up?
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer the UI of my ATV to all the other smart devices in my house. These include tv’s, smart Blu-ray players,Fire sticks, PS4, etc…The UI is just more intuitive to me than those other devices. Also, it’s tight integration with all of my other Apple gear and services, data privacy, Fitness+, and screen savers make it my streamer of choice. After my iPhone, it’s actually my second most used Apple product. It’s not perfect, of course…The TV app is a mess, and the remote’s issues are well documented; but it’s still better than my alternatives.  Still holding out hope for that massive gaming upgrade next gen. 
    I have the exact opposite opinion. I prefer the UI of my TV to the ATV's, particularly that terrible remote. I have no plans to buy any updated ATV...unless it does something new and unique. And I can't imagine something like that coming...or being of use to me. YMMV. 
    So when your TV manufacturer decides to stop providing app updates & HBO, Paramount or Apple TV apps no longer work, are you going to buy a new TV?  Give it about 3-4 years, and that's what you can expect.
    Fidonet127mike1
  • Reply 24 of 46
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    Good luck when your TV manufacturer stops updating its smarts. Streaming boxes all the way here.

eightzero said:
    Japhey said:
    What is the device’s purpose other than supporting users that don’t have such a smart TV yet?

Unless Apple would positioned it more as a console as well, including an exclusive game line-up?
    I can’t speak for anyone else, but personally I prefer the UI of my ATV to all the other smart devices in my house. These include tv’s, smart Blu-ray players,Fire sticks, PS4, etc…The UI is just more intuitive to me than those other devices. Also, it’s tight integration with all of my other Apple gear and services, data privacy, Fitness+, and screen savers make it my streamer of choice. After my iPhone, it’s actually my second most used Apple product. It’s not perfect, of course…The TV app is a mess, and the remote’s issues are well documented; but it’s still better than my alternatives.  Still holding out hope for that massive gaming upgrade next gen. 
    I have the exact opposite opinion. I prefer the UI of my TV to the ATV's, particularly that terrible remote. I have no plans to buy any updated ATV...unless it does something new and unique. And I can't imagine something like that coming...or being of use to me. YMMV. 

• Reply 25 of 46
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    whatever.

they need something that competes with the Google TV device..... in features and PRICE.

i'm an adult, and as far as i'm concerned gaming is only a half step away from being a gambling addict.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Someone else mentioned earlier about TV manufacturer's that will stop updating their firmware as necessary. They just won't care for long.
    Aside from that, the whole U/I experience is much better than any built-in TV U/I that I have come across.
    In addition, the ATV does a much better job scaling up from HD to 4K than any TV I have seen. It's just incredible.
    dewmellama
  • Reply 27 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    twokatmew said:
    Good luck when your TV manufacturer stops updating its smarts. Streaming boxes all the way here.

eightzero said:
    Japhey said:

You can just use your TV remote to control an ATV.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    oberpongo said:
    Main reason for 120hz is that movies got historically recorded at 24Fps and US TV movies/shows were recorded at 30fps. 
    (US Television Sets and power are 60HZ)
     meaning 120 Hz is the lowest frequency that can show both without interpolating frames. Unfortunately most other countries use 25/50 for tv. 
    Thanks for the info. Very useful.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    I could really use a new Apple TV with more memory and faster CPUs ... I have trouble with the 4K having to reboot it often because of the size of my media library.

I get a lot of glitches due to which I suspect is memory limitations both in browsing my media library and in playback pause/resume as well as movement through the timeline, but in H.264 and H.265.

Your issues could potentially be due to your HDMI cables not being up to snuff. Your ATV has a test for that under Settings>Video and Audio>Check HDMI Connection. It will run a stress test and let you know if your HDMI cables can handle the throughput. My first set on the 4K setup couldn't. Bought better cables at the Costco for a reasonable price, and the test cleared for the highest throughput settings with no glitches or artifacts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    nicholfd said:
    So when your TV manufacturer decides to stop providing app updates & HBO, Paramount or Apple TV apps no longer work, are you going to buy a new TV?  Give it about 3-4 years, and that's what you can expect.
    I'm already experiencing that now and would have bought a new Apple TV (as I don't want one that is 4 years old). I have a 2016 LG 4K OLED and it does not have an AppleTV app nor a Paramount + app. I think it what the Streaming companies are willing to pay the TV manufacturers to develop for, as 7 months ago Disney+ just appeared on my Apps and to the opposite side MLB app is no longer supported (3 years ago). I know AppleTV, MLB, and Paramount + are on the newer LG's, so how come I got Disney Plus and not those? I was happy using Paramount + through the Amazon Prime app, but Paramount + ran that 50% off deal, so I got it direct (which now won't it work with Amazon app as you have to buy through Amazon).

I ended up getting my hands on a Xbox Series X.....yeah that's an more expensive streamer!!! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    Gaming is probably the main reason for a 120Hz upgrade. As noted above, an AppleTV device is less expensive and better supported than Most TVs, so it offers a better avenue for upgrades than does replacing actual TVs. There are already outrageously expensive 8K TVs out there on the market, but even as prices come down on those and presumably some content becomes available, it still seems unlikely that 8K will move many people to replace their perfectly good 4K TVs. You can read about it elsewhere, but in most real-world use cases human visual acuity can't discern the difference between a 4K TV and an 8K one. As such, the computer in a 'smart' TV will become obsolete long before the screen will, so AppleTVs and Roku boxes will continue to offer a less expensive, less wasteful way to upgrade as the TV's own internal device stagnates.

So Apple has good reason to look for ways to entice buyers of their TV devices. Gaming could be one of them. The Arcade service is still looking for its niche, but that's probably going to be in a space that's less intensive than xbox, etc., but more engaging than what they've had so far. They just announced a new push with new games and categories, and so an improvement in the hardware would make some sense.

I'm still hoping they'll also build on Apple Music with high-resolution/lossless streaming audio, as well as surround formats. Tidal and Amazon are allegedly doing that, but their user interfaces are pathetically bad. I've tried both. They actually make it difficult or even impossible to find and pull up high-resolution or surround sound audio formats, especially in their ATV apps. It's nuts. Also, Amazon only ports its Dolby Atmos content to its HomePod competitor. You can't access it on your ATV that's actually hooked to surround speakers.

Apple could add that functionality on ATV and iPhones with AirPods Pro, and update the music app to make it easy to find the premium content. There is already a large audience with capable ATVs hooked up to speakers and iPhones and AirPods Pro in their pockets. All they have to do is turn the function on. It would be another area where Apple isn't first, but shows how it can be done in a way that actually appeals to consumers.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    I’d argue what I’d the point of smart TVs. Smart TVs are like buying Android phones, as the lack updates, software, security, privacy are all lacking. 

Whereas the Apple TV is good on privacy, security, updates, UI and a good amount of software. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    rezwits said:
    Wiseman said:

I cannot live without my Apple TV setup box

DITTO

You know one thing I get tired of reading are post from guys who are NOT,
    fully entrenched, in the Apple eco-system.  It's always these posts from guys:

HomePod sucks
    Watch sucks
    TV sucks
    Siri sucks

I sit back and laugh all the time.

I don't want to post a huge list like above which are all spot on, but.

Here is something that I just love tho, that they'll think is a lie
    but whatever it's so laughable:

When I am at home and utter the words "Hey Siri"

Like a crescendo 5-8 devices all SIMULTANEOUSLY goto work
    on doing whatever that request is synchronized and in unision
    no duplicates no BS.
    AppleTV is limited because I haven't tried to add pickles to my grocery list.

It's so silly how this is all integrated now.

Can't wait for 120Hz/FPS TV 6 (4K)!!

TV number 6, this wil #7, NEVER LOOKING BACK!

oh 4 rooms with AppleTVs and music in everyroom on whim, so silly.
    Get ENTRENCHED, do the work, align your systems and enjoy...

ROOKIES, (oh and a, see ya Cortana)

Speaking of Siri, I've found the implementation of Siri (voice based search) on Apple TV (via the remote) is actually very good. Some of the newer streaming services like Discovery Plus have such extensive catalogs that finding something specific without using Siri voice search is very tedious, especially if you have to use the hideous on-screen keyboard. Same thing with YouTube searches. Of all the different flavors of Siri, the one on Apple TV seems to be the the most accurate and useful for its intended purpose, although the Siri voice navigation support in Apple Maps on Apple Car Play has surprised me of late with its helpful directions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    nicholfd said:
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:

Yes, I will buy a new TV. The prices are dropping, and they are very inexpensive. I've had several ATVs, and I've had more loss of functionality on ATV than on any TV. It isn't TVs I will stop buying, it is ATVs, as the ATV functionality losses are *way* higher than they ever have been on any TV. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 46
    dewme said:
    rezwits said:
    Wiseman said:

I cannot live without my Apple TV setup box

DITTO

You know one thing I get tired of reading are post from guys who are NOT,
    fully entrenched, in the Apple eco-system.  It's always these posts from guys:

HomePod sucks
    Watch sucks
    TV sucks
    Siri sucks

I sit back and laugh all the time.

I don't want to post a huge list like above which are all spot on, but.

Here is something that I just love tho, that they'll think is a lie
    but whatever it's so laughable:

When I am at home and utter the words "Hey Siri"

Like a crescendo 5-8 devices all SIMULTANEOUSLY goto work
    on doing whatever that request is synchronized and in unision
    no duplicates no BS.
    AppleTV is limited because I haven't tried to add pickles to my grocery list.

It's so silly how this is all integrated now.

Can't wait for 120Hz/FPS TV 6 (4K)!!

TV number 6, this wil #7, NEVER LOOKING BACK!

oh 4 rooms with AppleTVs and music in everyroom on whim, so silly.
    Get ENTRENCHED, do the work, align your systems and enjoy...

ROOKIES, (oh and a, see ya Cortana)

Speaking of Siri, I've found the implementation of Siri (voice based search) on Apple TV (via the remote) is actually very good. Some of the newer streaming services like Discovery Plus have such extensive catalogs that finding something specific without using Siri voice search is very tedious, especially if you have to use the hideous on-screen keyboard. Same thing with YouTube searches. Of all the different flavors of Siri, the one on Apple TV seems to be the the most accurate and useful for its intended purpose, although the Siri voice navigation support in Apple Maps on Apple Car Play has surprised me of late with its helpful directions.
    Second that last observation. Recently my old car died so I got new one and I’ve been really happy with Siri and CarPlay while driving in traffic — I think I’m familiar enough with Maps and other apps from using them on my phone to give the correct commands in most situations. Unlike the built-in systems in my car which aren’t as good and also I’m not familiar with, a dangerous combination. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    dkhaleydkhaley Posts: 57member
    I'm the target market for this. I've owned an Apple TV 4 for several years. Last year, I purchased my first 4K television set, but didn't want to drop $200 for the Apple TV 4K, which was nearly 3 years old.

I only hope it has a functional remote.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    nicholfd said:
    eightzero said:
    Japhey said:

It's interesting you mention that -- the app updates stopped being provided on my ATV 3rd gen. No Disney+, no HBOMax, and now Youtube support stopped! Yes, it had a service life past 3-4 years (had it since 2013), and of course Airplay was still an option. I didn't need a new TV, and am not interested in gaming, but I did want better TV sound and the services listed above (plus others). The Roku Smart Soundbar (also got the wireless Sub) gave me what I wanted for a relatively low price. There are not a lot of Roku "apps," but all the major streaming services (and Youtube) are there. The limitation actually results in a simpler interface. I'll be curious to see what happens with updates on this Roku platform in the next few years. As long as the sound still works via the HDMI/ARC connection, Airplay2 and Bluetooth, I think I'll be OK for a while. (BTW, I was able to sell my old ATV 3 for $30 within two days of posting it).

• Reply 38 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    kkqd1337 said:

i'm an adult, and as far as i'm concerned gaming is only a half step away from being a gambling addict.
    That sounds like someone with a gambling addiction would say. 
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 39 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    1. How many existing programs (TV or movies) have already been recorded in 120 FPS so far? Couldn't be too many, since I could find only 3 doing a 3 minute web search.
    2. Have Apple's programs for Apple TV+ been (secretly?) recorded in 120 FPS?
    3. For countries with 100 Hz power limitations, would Apple TV be limited to 100 FPS there? (To match the TVs?)
    4. I've heard of some computer games that can do 120 FPS, but that requires special video cards. If this rumour is true, that the chip in the Apple TV can render at 120 Hz, does that imply that Apple's next M chips will have the ability to render at 120 FPS?
    5. I remember when Ted Turner wanted to colourize his back catalog of movies. He did some. It wasn't too will received. Will people want old non-120Hz shows to be 120-ized using similar technology? I would think that animated films could "remaster" their programs more easily than live action shows. Especially when the movie is generated from computer software. It wouldn't be too hard to get Pixar films re-rendered to 120 FPS.
    They're all recorded in 120Hz or higher. They just bouncing down to 60Hz when releasing them to the public. Movies are being recorded in 8K/16K standard with much higher FPS but you don't see the original cuts. Or do you think what you see on the TV was the original 1:1 from the Camera/Audio/FPS to the theater/home?
    What? This isn't even remotely true. You don't record video in Hertz, but even assuming you mean frames per second, nobody's recording at 120fps unless it's going to be slowed down in post.
    baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 46
    nicoteonicoteo Posts: 8member
    Japhey said:

This is it for me as well....I can't stand the UI on my LG 4K OLED nor my Samsung QLED. I've gone though the Fire TV  (even the Cube UI is slow and laggy, and sometimes doesn't respond to input) as well as Roku and others....and they just pale in comparison to the Apple TV. UI is easy, fast, updated often. Apps are updated often. It's my UI of choice for all entertainment. Plus everyone easily figures it out, even if they've never used a smart tv before. The quality is amazing and the integration with my other Apple devices is second to none. 

Another unpopular opinion I have...I love the Siri remote. It's fast and intuitive and I don't seem to have any issues doing anything I didn't intend. I was just thinking about this today reading an article on Medium about how it's the worse designed remote ever....while I picked it up without even needing to look at it, exited the YouTube TV app, moved to the top of my Home Screen, and powered off my TV, the AppleTv, and Sony sound system, in less than two seconds without looking.
    tht