Next-gen Apple TV could output 120Hz video, beta code suggests

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I am firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, and Siri still sucks.  Apparently Siri is like Lassie, where there were several different dogs doing the work of what we were to believe was one dog. (This is not counting the succession of dogs that "played" Lassie over time).

There's iPhone Siri, HomePod Siri, Mac Siri, ATV Siri, and maybe more. Rene Ritchie, formerly of iMore.com said HomePod Siri is on a different set of servers than iPhone Siri, and the difference in capability is obvious. Siri on HomePod sucks. It's not nearly as capable as Siri on the iPhone. Siri on the HP often fails to find songs in Apple Music that Siri on the iP finds without fail. (And I'm still a little frosted that Apple has dropped the big HP, along with further development of same, as I have two of them.

I've been waiting to buy an ATV and will pull the trigger on the next new one. I hope Siri on it lives up to the praise heaped here.

The difference between video shot and played at 24Hz or 30Hz vs shot and played at 60Hz is striking, and I like it. A lot. The iPhone shoots 120Hz video which it shows at 60Hz (I believe) to give a slow motion effect. I'd really like to shoot some video at 120Hz and play it back via ATV at 120 Hz vs 60Hz.

Assuming the next or some ATV will do 120Hz output, how would I shoot from the phone at 120Hz, and view it at 120Hz via the ATV and TV set.  Can an ATV be connected to a Mac? What hoops might have to be jumped through or planets aligned to do this?
  • Reply 42 of 46
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    nicholfd said:
    So when your TV manufacturer decides to stop providing app updates & HBO, Paramount or Apple TV apps no longer work, are you going to buy a new TV?  Give it about 3-4 years, and that's what you can expect.
    I'm already experiencing that now and would have bought a new Apple TV (as I don't want one that is 4 years old). I have a 2016 LG 4K OLED and it does not have an AppleTV app nor a Paramount + app. I think it what the Streaming companies are willing to pay the TV manufacturers to develop for, as 7 months ago Disney+ just appeared on my Apps and to the opposite side MLB app is no longer supported (3 years ago). I know AppleTV, MLB, and Paramount + are on the newer LG's, so how come I got Disney Plus and not those? I was happy using Paramount + through the Amazon Prime app, but Paramount + ran that 50% off deal, so I got it direct (which now won't it work with Amazon app as you have to buy through Amazon).

I ended up getting my hands on a Xbox Series X.....yeah that's an more expensive streamer!!! ;)
    Because MLB and Paramount decided not to prioritize the code for your "older" LG TV. The TV companies don't maintain the apps. Just like Apple doesn't update 3rd-party apps.

• Reply 43 of 46
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    mike1 said:
    nicholfd said:
    So when your TV manufacturer decides to stop providing app updates & HBO, Paramount or Apple TV apps no longer work, are you going to buy a new TV?  Give it about 3-4 years, and that's what you can expect.
    I'm already experiencing that now and would have bought a new Apple TV (as I don't want one that is 4 years old). I have a 2016 LG 4K OLED and it does not have an AppleTV app nor a Paramount + app. I think it what the Streaming companies are willing to pay the TV manufacturers to develop for, as 7 months ago Disney+ just appeared on my Apps and to the opposite side MLB app is no longer supported (3 years ago). I know AppleTV, MLB, and Paramount + are on the newer LG's, so how come I got Disney Plus and not those? I was happy using Paramount + through the Amazon Prime app, but Paramount + ran that 50% off deal, so I got it direct (which now won't it work with Amazon app as you have to buy through Amazon).

I ended up getting my hands on a Xbox Series X.....yeah that's an more expensive streamer!!! ;)
    Because MLB and Paramount decided not to prioritize the code for your "older" LG TV. The TV companies don't maintain the apps. Just like Apple doesn't update 3rd-party apps.

This is probably the case because of the significant fragmentation in smart TV devices and operating systems running on them. This just offers another reason why AppleTV is likely to remain a more viable platform for these things. Apple doesn't maintain third party apps, but they do maintain a much more stable and consistent platform and developer program.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I see zero use for an AppleTV now I have the Apple TV+ app on my Samsung TV.
    What is the device’s purpose other than supporting users that don’t have such a smart TV yet?

Unless Apple would positioned it more as a console as well, including an exclusive game line-up?

Apple does have an exclusive game line-up. It just sucks.

Apple Arcade
  • Reply 45 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macgui said:

The difference between video shot and played at 24Hz or 30Hz vs shot and played at 60Hz is striking, and I like it. A lot. The iPhone shoots 120Hz video which it shows at 60Hz (I believe) to give a slow motion effect. I'd really like to shoot some video at 120Hz and play it back via ATV at 120 Hz vs 60Hz.

Assuming the next or some ATV will do 120Hz output, how would I shoot from the phone at 120Hz, and view it at 120Hz via the ATV and TV set.  Can an ATV be connected to a Mac? What hoops might have to be jumped through or planets aligned to do this?
    You can shoot in 24/30/60fps on the current iPhone. 120/240fps for slo-mo because it’s then slowed down to 30fps. There is no shooting non-slo-mo video in 120fps on an iPhone. 

A Mac only does 60Hz video out, so trying to show anything higher than 60fps is futile there as well.