Intel uses MacBook Pro to promote its chips after attacking Apple

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited 2:14PM

In the middle of a campaign against Apple and its Macs, Intel appears to be promoting its new 11th-generation Core i7 processors using an image of a MacBook Pro.

Credit: Intel/Getty Images
Credit: Intel/Getty Images

In a promoted post on Reddit, Intel touted its Intel Core i7-1185G7 chip as the "world's best processor on a thin and light laptop." The chip is part of Intel's newest 11th-generation Tiger Lake family of processors.

The interesting part is the fact that the ad uses an image of a person using what appears to be a 15-inch MacBook Pro or 16-inch MacBook Pro. The Intel Core i7-1185G7 is not available on any current Apple portable Mac.

Digging a bit deeper, it appears that the ad photograph is a Getty Images stock photo of a "man playing [a] computer game on laptop." Despite a clumsy attempt at erasing the Apple logo, the device in the picture is still clearly a MacBook Pro, based on the I/O configuration and Touch Bar. The model's headphones are also clearly Beats by Dre.

Beyond the fact that customers can't buy a MacBook with an Intel's 11th-generation, Apple is also in the midst of shifting its Mac lineup away from Intel x86 processors to proprietary Apple Silicon chips.

Apple's M1, by most accounts, outclasses pretty much any x86 chips currently on the market -- including the Intel Core i7-1185G7. In other words, the combination of the tagline and image may actually be accurate -- but it's just not in Intel's favor.

What's even more amusing is the fact that the ad is being promoted in the midst of an Intel attack campaign on Apple's M1 chip. The chipmaker has been running ads criticizing Apple Silicon Macs and the "lifestyle company" that designs them.

The Intel ad is likely just a marketing oversight or a case of laziness. But, instead of making its own chips look any better, the blunder is more embarrassing than anything else.

Read on AppleInsider

killroy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Lol. The image depicts someone gaming on a Mac. Something else that is counter to Intels ads.
    killroyBeatscaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 18
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    but what about devices with ridiculous 2nd screens that force the keyboard to take over the palm rest?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    but what about devices with ridiculous 2nd screens that force the keyboard to take over the palm rest?
    Don't get me started on how the MBP15 + MBP16 trackpad is so big (and off-center to the right) that it interferes with typing.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
  • Reply 5 of 18
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    Typical of a company paying for an ad campaign without bothering to vet the results. Intel should demand a refund for services rendered for presenting an ad that is counter to their message. 

Unrelated to this are the ads/commercials companies are blowing substantial sums of  money for that are out of touch with reality, insulting, or irrelevant. I am confident the CEO’s have never seen the ads they pay for. Even worse for the consumer is we end up paying for the ads. Consider insurance and mobile phones. Switching insurance is a monumental effort that requires giving up a ton of person  information in order to possibly save money. Same holds true for mobile phones where a change of providers requires all new equipment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just shows how desperate Intel is. They are literally the walking dead.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    This ranks right up there with Samsung "Ambassadors" that praise Samsung phones, only to tweet about it from their iPhones.
    killroyn2itivguywatto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 8 of 18
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    Was it a mistake or was it another ‘let’s boil the pi$$ of the fanboys’ viral-marketing - cos it it was the latter it seems to have been jolly successful!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    lkrupp said:
    Just shows how desperate Intel is. They are literally the walking dead.

Yah they just came out with a server class  CPU to fight off AMD. We will see how long that will last.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    jimh2 said:
    Typical of a company paying for an ad campaign without bothering to vet the results. Intel should demand a refund for services rendered for presenting an ad that is counter to their message. 

Unrelated to this are the ads/commercials companies are blowing substantial sums of  money for that are out of touch with reality, insulting, or irrelevant. I am confident the CEO’s have never seen the ads they pay for. Even worse for the consumer is we end up paying for the ads. Consider insurance and mobile phones. Switching insurance is a monumental effort that requires giving up a ton of person  information in order to possibly save money. Same holds true for mobile phones where a change of providers requires all new equipment. 
    I can't imagine the stockholders are pleased with this.  It gives every impression that neither the CEO or the board at Intel have a freaking clue as what they are doing.  They keep messing up the stockholders may get mad enough to ask for their resignations.
    watto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 11 of 18
    cpsro said:
    Don't get me started on how the MBP15 + MBP16 trackpad is so big (and off-center to the right) that it interferes with typing.
    The size of the trackpad doesn't have any affect on typing. I have both hands on the trackpad now and it types perfectly. Nor is the trackpad off-center. I've only seen that on PCs. Maybe you were looking at a PC and thinking it was a Mac. Last time I walked by a row of PCs at the store they almost all look like Macs.
    BeatsRayz2016roundaboutnowfrankeedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    Intel has plenty of challenges on its plate right now, but this is a simple faux pas no different than similar mistakes that eagle eyed movie nerds find quite often in multimillion dollar films. I’d bet that 99% of non techno nerds will not see anything “Apple” in this ad, especially with some PC vendors going to great lengths to look like MacBooks. I would have glossed over this picture without a thought had this article not pointed out the “issue” that some commenters feel is worthy of making heads roll at Intel. Really!?
    Beats
  • Reply 13 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    cpsro said:
    The size of the trackpad doesn't have any affect on typing. I have both hands on the trackpad now and it types perfectly. Nor is the trackpad off-center. I've only seen that on PCs. Maybe you were looking at a PC and thinking it was a Mac. Last time I walked by a row of PCs at the store they almost all look like Macs.

He most likely was talking about a knockoff MacBook.

”How else is a laptop supposed to look!!”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    It's kind of like a Ford car commercial and the car has Chevy hub caps.
    watto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Intel’s sailing without a rudder. 
    watto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    cpsro said:
    Are you being sarcastic? The MBP 15/16 trackpads are perfectly centered (as have been all Apple trackpads since their inception). 

I've been using Apple laptops for 18 years now (desktops für 15 years before that), and I have literally NEVER had this problem. 

Spurious input rejection works *really* well. 
    revenantroundaboutnowfrankeedfastasleepwatto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 17 of 18
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    intel is like that girlfriend you broke up with, she throws away all your shoes and said you slept around on her (and you didn't) and then one week later tells everyone you dating again showing everyone a photo of you two together. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Obviously the new Intel’s CEO is loosing ground under his feet’s and in his panic is running around as a chicken without a head.
    I have the feeling that his long-terms vision about the future of Intel is not longer than two months ahead.
    Otherwise, he would never have started this stupid anti-Apple campaign.
    watto_cobra