What would make a new 2021 iPad Pro truly 'Pro'?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Uh ... the author of the article needs to buy a macOS computer.

People trying to transform the iPad into what they consider a ‘proper’ computer are expressing their lack of understanding of the iPad’s actual benefit.

When the iPad first came out I loved that it wasn’t like a normal computer. I loved the simple file management (and I hate the current Files app). I did actual serious work on it. No it’s not as feature comprehensive as a full computer but the simplicity made for a new valuable computing experience.

A Pro version should be focussed on pro apps and hardware. It shouldn’t be focussed on making it more like a macOS computer.

I agree with InspiredCode that running Xcode and developing right on the iPad would be an excellent Pro feature. But not if it works exactly like the macOS version and requires a mouse and keyboard—if I wanted that I’d just use my MacBookPro.
    edited April 2021 pscooter63jdb8167
  • Reply 22 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    Dual OS. When connecting the iPad to an external monitor, switch from iOS to macOS. 

The hardware is capable of it, and Apple has already developed both operating systems. Why not make the hardware run both then? 

Maybe even offer me a choice to switch to macOS, the moment I connect a mouse, for that’s the moment I start to use a pointer device made for macOS in the first place...

(I posted this idea to Apple’s feedback web page too)
    I was thinking the same thing about Mac mode, but there’s also an in-between mode that would be available if Apple enabled a “hybrid disk mode.”  With hybrid disk mode you could boot your Mac from a macOS image on your iPad, but the iPad would retain a UI and runtime engine independent from the host machine while still being the boot source for the Mac, hence the “hybrid” designation. This could be used to diagnose and troubleshoot issues with your Mac. This would be useful for service technicians because the screen and UI on the iPad would still fully functional to run troubleshooting tools and diagnose boot and video problems on the Mac under test. The Mac is not simply using the iPad as a bootable external drive or repository for virtual machine images, it’s using the iPad as a fully interactive debugging console to troubleshoot problems on Macs that have serious issues, like no video, or simply to profile the Mac under test.

My themes for making an iPad a “Pro” machine are obviously ones that revolve around making the iPad more useful as a development, debugging, and troubleshooting tool. I have no doubt that people who are interested in other application domains, for example music production or graphic design, would have their own laundry list of things that make the iPad a “Pro” tool in their eyes. In my opinion, when you start using the “Pro” designation you almost have to ask the question: “For what kind of Pro?” because the iPad does so many different things and is a general purpose computer. Single function devices like cameras are easier to place into consumer, pro, and prosumer categories because their targeted applications have more clearly defined gradients between different types of users and tasks, regardless of camera brands. With general purpose computers, it’s more subjective and a lot more fuzzy, so it just becomes a name game of sorts for each brand to throw out there and hope that it sticks.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    As I suspected. 

Keep scrolling down the comments. 

And eventually. 

Folk actually want a Mac 
    jdb8167Detnator
  • Reply 24 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Rayz2016 said:
    As I suspected. 

Keep scrolling down the comments. 

And eventually. 

Folk actually want a Mac 
    Not me ;) I want a tablet.

The fact that it is a tablet form factor doesn't mean it shouldn't have long running backgrounded processes, or shouldn't have Unix shell access, or have a windowing UI, so on and so forth, all designed with touch in mind. I may want to use it like a laptop or a desktop, but it doesn't negate its primary use as a tablet.

This "want a Mac" line of reasoning always comes up in iPad topics. It should be obvious that a Mac is not what people want when they say they want this or that feature. Some may want to run macOS on their iPads, sure, but others definitely want iPadOS to have the requested features because they definitely prefer an iPad over a Mac. Those requested features don't define what macOS is. Most of the features I've seen wished for have been part of operating systems for 30+ years now.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Re: Xcode. I know you think you want this, but as a dev on a 27" monitor, I can't imagine wanting to code on my iPad. Laptop is already pretty cramped.
    Detnator
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Here's what I really want- I want to never have to use iMazing for file management between my Windows PC and iPad Pro again.

I want to plug my iPad into my computer and drag files to an app. Right now, I can only do that with the third party application. But that means it can be done, so why do I have to jump through hoops (and iTunes is definitely a hoop) to do so? File management- and easy ways to move files between connected machines- is still a problem for the iPad.

And why can't seeing lyrics when I'm playing music be easier? I can play music with the lock screen- why can't I see lyrics with it?

I don't want a Mac laptop- never have. But I LOVE the iPad, and want to use this all the time. (For one thing, there is no better way to read a comic book.)
    entropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Other thing I would really, really love would be for safari to prevent auto play of video on web pages. By default.

even better if the owners of the webpages get spammed with something offensive each time auto play happens.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Re: Xcode. I know you think you want this, but as a dev on a 27" monitor, I can't imagine wanting to code on my iPad. Laptop is already pretty cramped.
    There would be one benefit to developing with Xcode on an iPad... you have built-in GPS support and can be fully mobile to integrate/test GPS capabilities in Apps being developed. Moving outdoors with live GPS signals while coding certainly beats trying to develop a GPS based while you are coding indoors. Though this is a limited use case, it makes a lot of sense to give developers the ability to use Xcode on an iPad Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    There would be one benefit to developing with Xcode on an iPad... you have built-in GPS support and can be fully mobile to integrate/test GPS capabilities in Apps being developed. Moving outdoors with live GPS signals while coding certainly beats trying to develop a GPS based while you are coding indoors. Though this is a limited use case, it makes a lot of sense to give developers the ability to use Xcode on an iPad Pro.
    Interface Builder on iPad would be sweet.

raoulduke42
  • Reply 30 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    Other thing I would really, really love would be for safari to prevent auto play of video on web pages. By default.

even better if the owners of the webpages get spammed with something offensive each time auto play happens.
    Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Auto-Play Video Previews set to No

Possibly not exactly what you want, as it applies to all Apple apps, but not any third party apps.  Hope it's useful.
    raoulduke42
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I've babbled this idea before, but in addition to having much better external display support (I'm imagining three apps side by side on a 16x9 display controlled with an onscreen trackpad if a physical one isn't present), Apple should make all their glowing rectangles work together better. Imagine using Lightroom on an iPad, but you can have the image you're working on be full screen because the adjustment sliders are on your iPhone. Call it "Handshake."