Samsung Galaxy SmartTag Plus tags with Ultra Wideband launching April 16

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung is beating Apple's "AirTags" to market, with the Galaxy SmartTag Plus that includes precise Ultra Wideband tracking and will launch on April 16 for $39.99.

Credit: Samsung
Credit: Samsung

The Galaxy SmartTag Plus is an upgraded version of the company's $29.99 tracking tag that it launched in January. At the time, the company also that teased the updated UWB-equipped version would be coming later in 2021.

To be able to use the UWB capabilities, users will be a compatible Samsung device like a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy S21 Plus, Galaxy S21 Ultra, or Galaxy Z Fold 2. Users will be able to get much more accurate location information with the UWB support, and Samsung has also included some augmented reality features for easier locating.

Compared to standard Bluetooth-based item tracking, UWB will allow for much more accurate and precise location information -- particularly if used indoors. Beyond UWB support, the SmartTag Plus works pretty much the same way as its cheaper counterpart. Like Apple's Find My network, users will be able to leverage Galaxy devices to help track missing objects.

Samsung's Friday, April 16 release date means that the South Korean smartphone maker will beat Apple to the punch of releasing a UWB tracking tag.

Apple is thought to be working on its own UWB tracking tag under the "AirTags" moniker. That device is expected to support ARKit features and tight integration with the Find My app. Although an exact release date isn't clear, it's likely that Apple will announce the product sometime in the first half of 2021.

Earlier in April, Apple also debuted third-party support for its Find My app, letting users track devices like Chopolo tags and VanMoof electric bikes in the Items tab of the app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Someone mentioned that AirTags may have been a decoy to sniff out leakers and that 3rd party Find My support was the real project Apple was working on.

Would be funny if Sammy crapped out a tag over an Apple decoy project!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    Someone mentioned that AirTags may have been a decoy to sniff out leakers and that 3rd party Find My support was the real project Apple was working on.

It would only be funny if these bomb. Which, judging by the interest AirTags have garnered, they probably won’t. I’m just wondering if they’ll try for an MFi certification for these to take advantage of that interest while we wait around for Apple to make its move. 

Actually, what would be really funny is if Apple dropped them via press release early next week. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Beats said:

I think Samsung caught wind that Apple was about to introduce the AirTags, so better to be first than have anything that actually works.

If AirTags work as Apple has described them to be, I'm going to buy a bunch of them for sure!
    Beatsdk49h2pwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 17
    To the Author - Were you in such a rush to get this (old) news out that you couldn’t reread your writing before posting? It diminishes your credibility and/or shows how shaken up you are that Samsung is essentially forcing Apple to create a product that isn’t substandard BS. 

Decoy or not, the Tile tags have been out a long while so both Samsung and Apple are late to the game. It’s shameful that both companies release improved versions of their products just months after an initial release. WE ARE SHEEP FOR BUYING IT ALL. No way am I buying the first (and super loooooong awaited) iteration of Apple Tags.

Also, unrelated, myself and 3 people I know managed to scratch the displays of our 12 Pro/Pro Max devices the first week of ownership.....”strongest display ever” *eyeroll*
    edited April 2021 Beats
  • Reply 5 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    To the Author - Were you in such a rush to get this (old) news out that you couldn’t reread your writing before posting? It diminishes your credibility and/or shows how shaken up you are that Samsung is essentially forcing Apple to create a product that isn’t substandard BS. 

Decoy or not, the Tile tags have been out a long while so both Samsung and Apple are late to the game. It’s shameful that both companies release improved versions of their products just months after an initial release. WE ARE SHEEP FOR BUYING IT ALL. No way am I buying the first (and super loooooong awaited) iteration of Apple Tags.

Also, unrelated, myself and 3 people I know managed to scratch the displays of our 12 Pro/Pro Max devices the first week of ownership.....”strongest display ever” *eyeroll*
    Excellent first post, Thisisdumb. Indeed, it is. 
    mike1fastasleepapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Yeah because “beating Apple to the market” has been such a successful strategy for Samsung.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    igorsky said:
    Yeah because “beating Apple to the market” has been such a successful strategy for Samsung.
    Yeah, because Samsung hasn't sold more computing devices than any other company in history.
    Because Samsung doesn't have the #1 smart TV platform right now.
    Because Samsung doesn't have the #2 wearables platform right now. 
    Because Apple hasn't spent the last 6 years copying Samsung's ideas (AMOLED, phablet, stylus, curved screen, smartwatch, AirPods) and won't be taking more in the future (foldables, in-screen fingerprint sensors)
    Because Samsung actually hasn't had a better track record in the smart era than Google, and as if Android wouldn't have likely failed had it not been for Samsung's input, and as if other Google products - i.e. Android TV, Android Wear, Chromebooks, Android Things, smart speakers and appliances - wouldn't be a lot better off had Samsung not shunned them in favor of their own products

Apple is #1. Good for them. I participate on this site because I buy their products. But Samsung is a very strong #2 and they are for a reason, holding off or crushing outright formidable competitors like Nokia, Microsoft, Motorola, LG, HTC, Google (who fought a losing battle with Samsung for years that they are still suffering the effects of), Apple (whose legal and PR strategies to drive Samsung from the market failed leaving Apple with "we can't beat them so join them" attitude, which Microsoft later adopted, and note that Microsoft makes Samsung their Android partner, not Google) and Sony for a reason. The only thing that you get out of denying this is frustration.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 17
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    As usual, this article ignores that Samsung created a very similar product for a third party company years ago. And they launched their own version of that product months ago. This is the third iteration of the same idea by Samsung, with the only difference is that 3.0 uses UWB where 1.0 and 2.0 used bluetooth.

But you folks are going to believe what you choose to anyway.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cloudguy said:
    igorsky said:
    Yeah, because Samsung hasn't sold more computing devices than any other company in history.
    Because Apple hasn't spent the last 6 years copying Samsung's ideas (AMOLED, phablet, stylus, curved screen, smartwatch, AirPods) and won't be taking more in the future (foldables, in-screen fingerprint sensors)
    Because Samsung actually hasn't had a better track record in the smart era than Google, and as if Android wouldn't have likely failed had it not been for Samsung's input, and as if other Google products - i.e. Android TV, Android Wear, Chromebooks, Android Things, smart speakers and appliances - wouldn't be a lot better off had Samsung not shunned them in favor of their own products

Apple is #1. Good for them. I participate on this site because I buy their products. But Samsung is a very strong #2 and they are for a reason, holding off or crushing outright formidable competitors like Nokia, Microsoft, Motorola, LG, HTC, Google (who fought a losing battle with Samsung for years that they are still suffering the effects of), Apple (whose legal and PR strategies to drive Samsung from the market failed leaving Apple with "we can't beat them so join them" attitude, which Microsoft later adopted, and note that Microsoft makes Samsung their Android partner, not Google) and Sony for a reason. The only thing that you get out of denying this is frustration.
    The butthurt is strong with this one. 🤔
    StrangeDaysapplguythedbawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

What the fuck are you even talking about? 

Also, scratching and shattering are two different things. The phones are designed to be more shatter resistant from drops. The annual tests over the recent years prove its merits. It’s not Apple’s fault you failed to not scratch your naked phone. Mine gather little scratches too - who cares it’s not a museum piece.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 17

cloudguy said:
    As usual, this article ignores that Samsung created a very similar product for a third party company years ago. And they launched their own version of that product months ago. This is the third iteration of the same idea by Samsung, with the only difference is that 3.0 uses UWB where 1.0 and 2.0 used bluetooth.

Are you saying Samsung had a tile before Tile? I don’t follow the Asian knockoffs, when was it released?
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 17

cloudguy said:
    igorsky said:
    You are hopelessly confused, son. Case in point: “stylus”. You do realize Apple had a mobile device w/ a stylus back in the early 1990s...right? “Smartwatch”: Apple’s project was rumored for years so Samsung rushed out some POS. Nor did Apple “copy” OLED when release for the iPhone X. Of course it existed in earlier phones, but they don’t sell the massive numbers that iPhone does, so Apple had to wait until there enough supply for it to scale to the most popular handset in the world. And they did it with their own in-house designed display, contracted out to Samsung to manufacture. So, no, it was not a copy or commodity part.

Anyway, too much stupid to cover in detail.
    Xedapplguywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Samsung didn't "force" Apple to create anything. Tile's UWB tracker is allegedly coming "later this year". The "sheep" thing sure is a dusty trope that nobody takes seriously, so why bother?

Nobody gives a shit about your iPhone display scratches. Nobody ever said you can't scratch them, just that the glass is stronger than the last gen. In my experience, it certainly seems that way. 

Pretty shit first troll post. F-
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

cloudguy said:

Good job reading, dummy. Second sentence FTFA: "The Galaxy SmartTag Plus is an upgraded version of the company's $29.99 tracking tag that it launched in January. At the time, the company also that teased the updated UWB-equipped version would be coming later in 2021."
    Xedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 17
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cloudguy said:
    igorsky said:

The butthurt is strong with this one. 🤔
    I was about to reply to cloud guy's ramble but your one short sentence response said it all. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 17
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I just don't see Apple ever releasing such a product. 
    IMO, the <AirTag> hints found inside iOS, are future software features integrated into iPhone, Apple Watch, similar to "Find my iPhone" but for 3rd party devices, maybe car, bicycles and so on. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It’s shameful that both companies release improved versions of their products just months after an initial release. WE ARE SHEEP FOR BUYING IT ALL. 
    When has Apple released an improved version of a hardware product just months after an initial release?  And in a way that sheepish consumers have bought both versions?
    watto_cobra