P&G worked with Chinese ad agency on bypass of Apple privacy feature

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Procter & Gamble reportedly worked with the Chinese Advertising Agency to test a new data harvesting tool meant to bypass Apple's imminent App Tracking Transparency privacy feature.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The American consumer goods giant was one of several companies testing a data collection tool called CAID, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

CAID is meant to provide an alternative to IDFA tracking for ad targeting and circumvent Apple's upcoming privacy features. Several major Chinese companies have been testing the tool, including Baidu, Tencent, and TikTok parent company ByteDance.

In a statement to The Wall Street Journal, P&G said it is working with the Chinese Advertising Agency to develop ways to "deliver useful content consumers want in a way that prioritizes data privacy, transparency and consent."

P&G -- which owns brands such as Crest, Charmin, Gilette, Tide, Bounty, and more -- has a vested interest in tracking user behavior on the internet. The company currently maintains a database of 1.5 million customers globally using consumer IDs and personally identifiable information. That database is mostly used in China, where it spends 80% of its advertising budget on targeted ads.

Along with P&G, other U.S. companies that are reportedly working with the Chinese Advertising Agency include Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Nielsen.

Shortly after news broke that Chinese firms were testing ways to bypass ATT, Apple warned developers in the country that any attempt to circumvent the privacy feature would result in expulsion from the App Store.

"The App Store terms and guidelines apply equally to all developers around the world, including Apple. We believe strongly that users should be asked for their permission before being tracked. Apps that are found to disregard the user's choice will be rejected," an Apple spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal.

Apple's ATT feature will make its debut in iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and tvOS 14.5, which are all slated to launch in early spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Just another reason to boycott Proctor & Gamble. I remember being really into animal rights in the late 90's and this was one of the big companies my friends and I would protest and boycott.
    iyfcalvinmac_dogspock1234viclauyycAnilu_777williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    JinTech said:
    Just another reason to boycott Proctor & Gamble. I remember being really into animal rights in the late 90's and this was one of the big companies my friends and I would protest and boycott.
    Not only boycott P&G but remove any developer's certificate they have for violating Apple's developer rules (like article said, read later). Apple, if you're reading this forum time to put your big boy's pants on and start shutting developers down for obvious violations. I'd also discuss this violation with the Chinese government, not just their advertising agency. 
    JinTechspock1234rcfaAnilu_777williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rob53 said:
    JinTech said:
    Not only boycott P&G but remove any developer's certificate they have for violating Apple's developer rules (like article said, read later). Apple, if you're reading this forum time to put your big boy's pants on and start shutting developers down for obvious violations. I'd also discuss this violation with the Chinese government, not just their advertising agency. 
    Agreed. Companies need to understand that there are real and legal consequences for breaking the Terms and Services they not only read, but sign as well.
    spock1234rcfaAnilu_777williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member

In a statement to The Wall Street Journal, P&G said it is working with the Chinese Advertising Agency to develop ways to "deliver useful content consumers want in a way that prioritizes data privacy, transparency and consent."

I wonder if this is the real order of P&G's priorities, with consent coming in last?
    Then I wonder who's transparency they are referring to? Consumers are to be transparent to all all of these leeches in their minds.
    Data privacy, I'm sure that my definition of data privacy is different than P&G's...
    edited April 2021 spock1234rcfaviclauyycAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Fuck this!!! Clearly all these companies are feeling threatened. Perhaps there should be stiff penalties for all companies when they attempt to skirt around these privacy safeguards. 

I’m thinking my personal information is now worth several hundred dollars (per company) given the way these companies are continuing to skirt around the laws. 
    spock1234rcfaviclauyycAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mac_dog said:
    Fuck this!!! Clearly all these companies are feeling threatened. Perhaps there should be stiff penalties for all companies when they attempt to skirt around these privacy safeguards. 

I’m thinking my personal information is now worth several hundred dollars (per company) given the way these companies are continuing to skirt around the laws. 
    Dude your personal information is worth a lot more than several hundred.

Why is it that big multi-national corporations can profit from our personal data while we struggle to survive? It's not right that we are the product to someone else's success and we do not see a single penny from them.
    spock1234viclauyycAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    It’s a shame that P&G has the nerve to screw customers over and even worse, knowingly working with the Chinese government to do so. I guess I need to sit down and look at all products P&G makes and see how many of their products I can do away with. 
    rcfaAnilu_777williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    It’s a shame that P&G has the nerve to screw customers over and even worse, knowingly working with the Chinese government to do so. I guess I need to sit down and look at all products P&G makes and see how many of their products I can do away with. 
    Good luck. A quick glance at their brands from their official web site include but are not limited to: Pampers, Luvs, Bouncr, Downey, Gain, Tide,
    Bounty, Charmin, Puffs, Always, Tampax, Braun, Gillette, The Art of Shaving, Head and Shoulders, Herbal Essences, Old Spice, Pantene, Cascade, Dawn, Febreze, Mr. Clean, Swiffer, Crest, Oral-B, Scope, Pepto-Bismol, Prilosec, Clearblue, and Vicks. There are other popular brands listed that I didn’t mention as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    AF_Hitt said:
    Good luck. A quick glance at their brands from their official web site include but are not limited to: Pampers, Luvs, Bouncr, Downey, Gain, Tide,
    Bounty, Charmin, Puffs, Always, Tampax, Braun, Gillette, The Art of Shaving, Head and Shoulders, Herbal Essences, Old Spice, Pantene, Cascade, Dawn, Febreze, Mr. Clean, Swiffer, Crest, Oral-B, Scope, Pepto-Bismol, Prilosec, Clearblue, and Vicks. There are other popular brands listed that I didn’t mention as well.

P and G sell useful products, people usually want to share with company like that, many someone’s in their company are not very bright, the online parasitic companies like Facebook or Google are the ones who might lose something.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    JinTech said:
    So animal rights no longer matter to you?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Apple should ban any violated app for life and suspend the company and associates company for 6 months to 1 year. So they might know not to mess with Apple. 

Honestly I don’t mind share some of my data with some companies if they are trustworthy and I found valuable. But FB and google is not on the list for sure. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15

I’m pretty sure that trying to find a way to bypass the new rules, is not “prioritizing data privacy”. I’m also pretty sure you aren’t being very transparent about it, and you aren’t asking anyone anything. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    AF_Hitt said:
    Brands I won’t be buying any more. And I’ll delete any other app that violates my privacy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    If the companies want our private personal info for ad purposes, ok then, before companies bought from ad agencies. That companies and ad agencies MUST pay us. Yes I mean both of companies AND ad agencies shall pay us. Because to them it’s valuable and didn’t pay us one single penny. That is NOT fair that they earn profits not us. Don’t get me started with that it’s part of life. IMO, they should pay more than 5 figures per person. Yes that’s expensive but to them our personal info is valuable. If they don’t have money for it, get their damn money back in the US instead save in other country with taxes friendly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    tommikele said:
    JinTech said:
    So animal rights no longer matter to you?
    Of course they do but I just do not revolt like I did in my youth  :D
    watto_cobra