Samsung's 'iTest' website lets iPhone users test out Android

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung has launched a new platform that lets iPhone users test out what it's like to own a Galaxy device from a web browser.

Credit: MacRumors
Credit: MacRumors

When users visit the "iTest" website, they'll be prompted to add a web application to iPhone's home screen. Once the experience is launched, it provides an interactive simulation of an Android device.

"You're about to get a little taste of Samsung, without changing phones. We can't replicate every function, but you should quickly see that there's nothing daunting about switching to the other side," Samsung said of the feature.

Users are able to browse the Galaxy Store, change the theme of their Android system, and explore other features available on Galaxy devices. During the experience, there are also simulated phone calls and text messages highlighting different Android features.

A report from earlier in 2021 suggested that brand loyalty was increasing for Apple and decreasing among Android brands. If that data is accurate, it could explain why Samsung is attempting to draw iPhone users in with a nifty feature to "sample the other side."

The feature was first spotted by a MacRumors reader, who noted that it's currently being promoted in New Zealand. Despite the .nz url, the experience is available in other countries too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Nice idea, well executed tbf.

I thought I wouldn’t like Android but now I’m absolutely positive. 
    mknelsonAlex1NmobirdItsDeCiaStrangeDaysapplguyravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Here is a great way for Apple to pay homage to the great copycat folks over at Samsung and respond in kind with their own version that they can call "iScum".
    You know “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”... ;)
    ASAP Apple 
    Alex1Npulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    S’funny. 

I was on the site for ten minutes when my monitor burst into flames …

mobirdAlex1Njas99pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Ugh. That’s a horrible experience compared to iOS. 
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Is it complete w/ stuttering scrolling?
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    My iPhone is too old to experience it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    A late April fools article ? :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    So Samsung want to firmer the idea for a iPhone that android sucks?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    This shows how far the web gas come. You can get smooth animations and scrolling via a web app and it feels like a native application.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Does it include all the Slurping of your data like an unprotected Android phone? We should know that right from the start... shouldn't we? Sounds like someone is getting a tad desperate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Haha! Brilliant idea! Well made too. 
    I will use this to prank some of my android friends.  :D

Hell, if I were an android user, I’d install this ‘app’ to finally have a smooth experience!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    This is a great idea! It’s reaffirmed that Android isn’t for me, but still very impressed with what they’ve been able to achieve through a browser. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Saved to Home screen. Interesting concept. Played for a few seconds. Deleted. Conclusion: Why even bother.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    can’t get to the menu with the save item on mine. Disabled all blockers —- still not available… Will investigate further when I have time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    oh, they were talking about the share menu, not anything on their side. ROTFL!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pretty cool
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    How long before Samsung figures out that the free test drive has turned out to be counter productive? Presumably Samsung betting that their problem is hesitancy to learn an unfamiliar system, as opposed to hesitancy to switch to something that doesn't work as well. If Samsung's guessed wrong, they may regret letting customers figure that out before they've paid for a new Samsung phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I bought a used Android phone just for one app I need that isn't available for iOS. Hate using it if I don't have to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    dk49 said:
    This shows how far the web gas come. You can get smooth animations and scrolling via a web app and it feels like a native application.
    Exactly.  It shows how powerful one's iPhone is.
    watto_cobra