Apple reveals 'The Problem with Jon Stewart' series, coming fall 2021

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2021
Apple TV+ is to launch its new current affairs series "The Problem with Jon Stewart," in fall 2021, marking six years since Stewart quit "The Daily Show."

Jon Stewart
Jon Stewart

Following Jon Stewart's signing with Apple TV+, and his hiring staff for the project, Apple has now revealed details about his show, including its name. "The Problem with Jon Stewart" is a one-hour current affairs series that is set to debut in the fall of 2021.

"'The Problem with Jon Stewart' is a multiple season, one-hour, single-issue series which will explore topics that are currently part of the national conversation and his advocacy work," says Apple in a statement. "Each season of the series will be further explored in a companion podcast to continue the discussion."

Stewart previously won 20 Emmys for his 16 years at the helm of "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central. Now six years after leaving that series in 2015, he is returning to series television for the first time.

The new show's executive producers include Stewart and showrunner Brinda Adhikari, formerly best known for working on CBS Evening News. Adhikari has previously described Stewart's new series as looking for staff with a background in comedy, news, documentary, and "general positively-intentioned badassery."

Stewart's Busboy Productions is making the show for Apple TV+. It's the start of what are expected to be several projects for the streaming service, and Apple TV+ has a first-look deal with Busboy for future shows.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    He was part of the show for 16 years, not six.
    baconstangfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    A FANTASTIC Coup for Apple TV+.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    That name is problematic.  Unless it's winkingly trying to imply that it's all about him and his personal issues.

"The problem with Jon Stewart is..."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    santille said:
    He was part of the show for 16 years, not six.
    20 Emmys in 6 years would be an amazing achievement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    That name is problematic.  Unless it's winkingly trying to imply that it's all about him and his personal issues.

I have to admit, I'm trying to decide if you piled on an extra pun or if you actually need the joke explained.
    mknelsonbuttesilverbaconstangfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    The Problem,
    with Jon Stewart
    Nah, I like the joke version better.

It reflects how a lot of complainers will start their posts.

or "The Problem, now with more nuts!"
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Is this a weekly show?  It's unclear.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    So this is "Last Week Tonight," only with an American accent. :lol: 

(I look forward to seeing what he comes up with)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

That's the joke.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 15
    OctoMonkeyOctoMonkey Posts: 311member
    The?!?!

As if there is only one...

Replacing the word 'with' with the word 'is' and it would be a much better title.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

You've got to be kidding. Do you understand how puns work? Is your use of "problematic" a pun?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15

The?!?!

As if there is only one...

Replacing the word 'with' with the word 'is' and it would be a much better title.
    Aren't you clever.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Some people don't deserve Jon Stewart.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    Has it really been that long since Stewart was on the Daily Show? The new show's title is part of a running gag from that show, with poorly-worded segment captions that frequently incriminated Stewart in all sorts of things

Do note that link is NSFW, unless you're telecommuting.

edited April 2021 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    AppleZulu said:
    Has it really been that long since Stewart was on the Daily Show? The new show's title is part of a running gag from that show, with poorly-worded segment captions that frequently incriminated Stewart in all sorts of things

Do note that link is NSFW, unless you're telecommuting.

So good. I am pretty sure I watched every single episode of The Daily Show from around 2006 I think until well after Stewart left. I like Trevor Noah's take on the show too, but Stewart's reign was a different beast for sure. Outstanding work.
    watto_cobrabaconstangAppleZulu