Apple TV+ signs Adepero Oduye for Hurricane Katrina drama

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2021
Adepero Oduye, breakout star of Disney's "The Falcon and the Winter Solider," will join the cast of an upcoming Apple TV+ limited series centered on Hurricane Katrina.

Oduye
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Oduye is set to play Karen Wynn in the John Ridley and Carlton Cuse series "Five Days at Memorial," reports The Hollywood Reporter.

Wynn is the nurse manager of Memorial Hospital's intensive care unit and leads the hospital's ethics committee, according to the report.

Oduye won Spirit Award and NAACP Image Award nominations for her turn in 2011's "Pariah." Her credits include Netflix's "When They See Us," Lifetime's "Steel Magnolias" and feature films "Widows" and "The Big Short," the report said.

"Five Days at Memorial" chronicles the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina from the viewpoint of New Orleans's Memorial Hospital. Based on the novel by Pulitzer Prize winner Sheri Fink, the series delves into moral and ethical quandaries characters are forced into during the ordeal.

Vera Farmiga is tapped to lead the cast as Dr. Anna Pou, who is accused of euthanizing critically ill patients after being stranded in the hospital for days.

Apple won rights to the series in 2020.

Fink will produce the project, with Ridley and Cuse serving as showrunners, writers and executive producers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Will this drama come clean and prove George W. Bush ordered the New Orleans levees to be blown up to kill people of color? Just asking? /s
  • Reply 2 of 3
    breakout star of Disney's "The Falcon and the Winter Solider,"

Really?  I've watched every episode and I 
    can't think where/if I've even seen her.

As for the "star," wouldn't that be the actor who played either Bucky or Falcon or (the new) Cap or one of the new "baddies"?

Ok, I looked it up.  She plays Falcon's sister (a minor character in the show) and she doesn't look nearly this glamorous (by design of course).  So I have seen her, but I didn't recognize her.
    edited April 2021 davgregOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Pretty sure the story of Nawlins during Katrina has already been told well by Spike Lee and aired on HBO many years ago. And it was not a drama.

And as someone who works in a licensed health profession, I cringe at Hollywood’s depiction of hospitals and the people who work there.
    Oferwatto_cobra