Leaked images of revamped iPad Pro and iPad mini show few changes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Another year and rumours say they will keep the exact same iPad Mini design for the 9th year running.... that's just really sad and pathetic if true. Especially when rumours say even the base model iPad will get a redesign. I'm sure with Apples endless money and resources they could have managed a redesign over the last several years?
    This is why people don't like some of Apple devices, they never change the design of them. iMac and the trash can Mac Pro being another case in point.

Still will be interesting to see what they've put into them this year. 
    And why are people arguing over how you use an iPad claiming everyone uses it this way or that? Not one of you is right, not one... everybody's different and will use their iPads in different ways, you all have zero proof to back up your claims are are just embarrassing yourselves. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 34
    dysamoria said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    auuuugh I really hope this is wrong, I was so looking forward to a modern iPad Mini

If true, we won't see a design refresh until probably 2024 ;_;
    What makes it “not modern”? Change for the sake of change is bad.
    Well I for one want face ID and full screen display, not a chunk taken up by touch ID button on the front.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Innovation, my ass.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    What I’ve wanted is for Apple to put the FaceTime sensors and front cameras on a long side. It’s ridiculous that they have it in the portrait position. Who really uses an iPad that way most of the time? This is a horizontal device. FaceTime isn’t as useful because on the side, it doesn’t always work, because you hold it by the sides.
    You are completely wrong.  Browsing the web and using 99% of apps are in portrait mode, you can see more of a page in portrait mode.  The only time people use it in Landscape is for video and some games, or for the small percentage of people that bought a keyboard for it instead of a MacBook.  FaceTime with a person is more ideal in portrait mode than landscape mode.
    No, I’m completely right. Most people use it horizontally. I can’t even imagine why you would be saying that. It’s been a complaint since shortly after it came out. For the Mini, it likely wouldn’t matter. But for larger models, landscape has always been the way it’s used. Many of the Apple oriented writers have stated this as well. There have been articles about it. 

I'm concerned about the pro 12.9” model, which I've now got every year’s model. There’s no way to use this vertically a lot of the time. Almost everything we do with it is horizontal. Safari, reading books, drawing, photo and video editing, 3D design in CAD. Most games, video and yes, even FaceTime, particularly when it’s more than two people. Same with Discord and Zoom.

just about the only thing I use it for vertically is magazines because of the small type used. Most iPad apps are designed for horizontal use, so I don’t understand what you’re talking about.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    flydog said:
    melgross said:
    What I’ve wanted is for Apple to put the FaceTime sensors and front cameras on a long side. It’s ridiculous that they have it in the portrait position. Who really uses an iPad that way most of the time? This is a horizontal device. FaceTime isn’t as useful because on the side, it doesn’t always work, because you hold it by the sides.
    Everybody who is not watching a video.  It's not a "horizontal" device.  It was designed to be used primarily in portrait mode since that is optimum for consuming most content.  
    A few of you guys are out of sync. Maybe a small handful out if every hundred use it vertically. I’ve been to conferences where hundreds of people are using ipads, and everyone is horizontal. Maybe you guys are using. It for some odd games, but the pro are serious tools, and we don’t buy them to just watch video.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The 12.9" iPad Pro is very uncomfortable to hold in portrait orientation for long periods of time.  Any device above 10.9" screen size is far better used in landscape.
    I'd love to see some analytics on this. I personally think you're dead wrong. Particularly w/r/t web browsing.
    Sorry but that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.  All of my iPads live in landscape  mode.  I only use portrait mode for poorly designed apps that force me to do portrait mode.  
    Well that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.

> For evidence of your belief is wrong, why are the Apple designed accessories designed for landscape mode? The Smart Cover, the Magic Keyboard, and the Smart Keyboard are all designed for only landscape mode.

Um, keyboards are designed for landscape mode because keyboards are wide. JFC

The Smart Cover is clearly designed for portrait mode.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    melgross said:
    Yet if they did that, then the camera would be on the right side where people would be just as likely to hold it when in portrait. I don't use FaceTime ever, but it's super rare that my iPad Pro is in landscape while being held; it's usually when it's in its propped up mode on my desk or wherever. Otherwise I'm holding it in portrait 99% of the time.

If you mean Face ID ("it doesn't always work" sounds like a Face ID not FaceTime problem), I literally have zero problems using it in horizontal mode.
    Yes, for the few of you who use it that way. Even in Apple’s presentations they mostly hold it horizontally.

yeah, sorry, I mean Face ID. That’s seems to have caused some confusion.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The 12.9" iPad Pro is very uncomfortable to hold in portrait orientation for long periods of time.  Any device above 10.9" screen size is far better used in landscape.
    I'd love to see some analytics on this. I personally think you're dead wrong. Particularly w/r/t web browsing.
    Sorry but that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.  All of my iPads live in landscape  mode.  I only use portrait mode for poorly designed apps that force me to do portrait mode.  
    Well that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device.

> For evidence of your belief is wrong, why are the Apple designed accessories designed for landscape mode? The Smart Cover, the Magic Keyboard, and the Smart Keyboard are all designed for only landscape mode.

Um, keyboards are designed for landscape mode because keyboards are wide. JFC

The Smart Cover is clearly designed for portrait mode.
    The Smart Cover is designed for horizontal use, I have one. Using it vertically is a pain.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Literally every photo on Apple's site shows it used in portrait orientation. They don't even bother to show it's "slate" folding functionality.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ4L2ZM/A/ipad-smart-cover-charcoal-gray

but as some mega genius once quipped, "that is your opinion and not how everyone uses the device."

• Reply 30 of 34
    melgross said:
    flydog said:
    melgross said:
    Everybody who is not watching a video.  It's not a "horizontal" device.  It was designed to be used primarily in portrait mode since that is optimum for consuming most content.  
    A few of you guys are out of sync. Maybe a small handful out if every hundred use it vertically. I’ve been to conferences where hundreds of people are using ipads, and everyone is horizontal. Maybe you guys are using. It for some odd games, but the pro are serious tools, and we don’t buy them to just watch video.
    I'm a medical professional (and an artist on the side) who also goes to lots of conferences and I can count on one hand the people out of hundreds who I've seen using it horizontally. Also out and about in the Bay Area / San Francisco and in Portland, Oregon (live in both cities), I pretty much exclusively see iPads being used in portrait mode. I do serious work using serious tools as well, and using it in Portrait has no bearing on how serious a tool it is or how serious one's work is. What a ridiculous comment to make. It also has nothing to do with "games". I don't even play games on either of them. They are are integral part of my medical work and my research as well as my art and photography. As I mentioned in another comment, when I'm creating art, I'll use whatever orientation I need at the time....I agree with you that of course the Smart Cover is designed for horizontal use as well as the keyboard covers...by necessity. Has no bearing on intended use orientation and provides no meaningful information as to Apple's intentions either other than nobody is going to want a narrow keyboard. Using the Smart Cover vertically is a pain? How so? It folds back flat. Zero issues. And if you want to prop up the iPad with the SmartCover, then yes, use it horizontally. Another design choice out of necessity. The iPad isn't that lightweight and a case design that could prop it up in portrait would need to have quite some design to prevent the iPad from falling back. The iPad is intended to be used however you want in the end, and it's equally intended to be used in portrait as it is landscape. You're literally creating an issue that isn't there. And your insistence that using it in portrait is somehow wrong and unintended by the maker is also ridiculous. How hard is it to not cover up the camera in landscape? I'll tell you. Not hard at all. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I just had a chilling thought. 

A “larger screen iPad mini” with the home button design language is necessarily larger. I wrote off that likelihood because it contradicts the idea of the iPad Mini. It’s like saying you made a better bird by removing the ability to fly. Fuck penguins. 

But what if this device is real, and it’s not a new Mini — it’s just the iPad? 

The bean counters would like that because the iPad line is admittedly pretty bloated and haphazard. The iPad Mini is more expensive than the iPad, that’s obviously confusing. Merging the lines would make everything tidier.

The new device would also be worse at being an iPad (smaller) and worse at being an iPad Mini (too big). Ugh. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Surprised the iPad Mini isn’t 13”. This has to be wrong!!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    melgross said:
    flydog said:
    melgross said:

I don’t wanna sound like a d*** but let me offer my view. The following is fact with my thoughts filling the gaps between them:

Originally Apple considered a horizontal camera for iPad but at the time the fresh iPhone invention was taking off and people were becoming accustomed to the vertical screen orientation. Selfies, web pages, apps, vertical video (you can thank Apple for that) etc.

I remember businesses flipping their flat screen TVs for ads etc. and that pissing me off more.

So when iPad was getting closer to release they changed it to a vertical device as it was the new normal and made more sense. Steve Jobs presented it in vertical and showed it off in vertical also.

With that said, iPad is like most Apple products, they’re for everyone from babies to hobbyist and teachers etc. and I see MOST people use them vertically.

Just to sh** on Samsung:
    They thought they were SOO innovative by releasing an iPad knockoff but only changed the camera/home button orientation. Yeah, like all Samsung “innovations” it was soon axed for a more Apple style. We can safely assume because Apple(as usual) got it right the first time.

But I believe there’s hope!
    Dont you think in the future Apple will release a bezel-less non-pro iPad model that can be used in any orientation with FaceID? To me it’s common sense they will. 
  • Reply 34 of 34
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I literally never use my 12.9 pro in portrait. It’s always in horizontal for everything as that most comfortable.