Logitech discontinues Harmony universal remote lineup

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Logitech on Friday officially killed the Harmony universal remote, leaving Apple TV users with one less alternative to the bemoaned Siri Remote.

Harmony

Confirming years of rumors that the Harmony line was on the rocks, Logitech unceremoniously axed the beloved universal remote lineup in a post to its support webpage.

Logitech says it will no longer manufacture Harmony remotes, but notes models that are currently up for sale in stores and online will remain available for purchase until stock is depleted.

"We expect no impact to our customers by this announcement. We plan to support our Harmony community and new Harmony customers, which includes access to our software and apps to set up and manage your remotes. We also plan to continue to update the platform and add devices to our Harmony database. Customer and warranty support will continue to be offered," Logitech says.

Harmony remotes have for nearly two decades been lauded for their ability to wrangle multiple devices in an ever-growing jungle of home entertainment products. Over the past few years, Logitech and its Harmony team did a commendable job in keeping up with the booming smart device trend, enabling control over both the living room and wider smart home.

TechHive reported on the discontinuation on Friday.

Logitech bought Harmony in 2004, less than three years after its debut. The company mulled a selloff of the division in 2013.

AppleInsider named Harmony one of the best alternatives to the Apple TV Siri Remote, noting the product line's compatibility with home entertainment hardware and smart home devices.

Where to find remaining Harmony inventory

Head over to Amazon and Best Buy to view a selection of remaining Harmony inventory. Prices start at $59.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I have had elite remote for a few years.

Not perfect but does what I want.
    I was very upset with Logitech telling me they would support 64 bit MacOS but they failed to deliver and consequently left with iOS interface to modify which is not as easy.

It would be good if they allowed third party generation and support of programmed devices to allow removal of quirks in how it manages these.

I have noticed how the prices have soared on 2nd market place for these remotes over the last few months.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase instead of a Harmony remote?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    That's very unfortunate.

I've been a happy user since 2008, and have used several versions. In my main setup I've got 8 devices to control  (TV, receiver, 3 consoles, Sonos, AppleTV, 4K bluray w/SACD), and a universal remote which can control all of this is essential.

It's not only about not needing to keep remotes for all of these next to the chair, it's also about setting the correct inputs on the TV and receiver. Sure, it will work for some time still - but eventually, it won't.
    gregoriusmpujones1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    I have had elite remote for a few years.

Not perfect but does what I want.
    I was very upset with Logitech telling me they would support 64 bit MacOS but they failed to deliver and consequently left with iOS interface to modify which is not as easy.

Yup, the complete lack of any attempt to support 64bit for the MacOS was annoying, and a giveaway that they were not giving a f@@@ any more... I had to install VirtualBox and Windows to sort some things out as their IOS app programming options are nothing like as complete.
    @sigh@
    The Elite is great, hopefully i can get several more years out of it... and pray someone takes the business over (but that would have happened already, i guess...unfortunately).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to purchase instead of a Harmony remote?
    I've never found a dedicated device that could do things to my liking and always thought, that with the correct tweaks, this is something that Apple could integrate into its product line to great effect. And not only via software, including the radios for motorised blinds for example. 

Voice and gesture control is nice but there are times when a touchscreen remote is the perfect tool. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 6 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Logitech on Friday officially killed the Harmony universal remote, leaving Apple TV users with one less alternative to the bemoaned Siri Remote.

Bemoaned by whom? Fake techie asshats on blog forums?
    edited April 2021 jeffzachariaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    lkrupp said:

Many people here, ones that don't have their heads quite so far up Apple's ass as some.
    gregoriusmCloudTalkinmobirdnoelosglennhmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    lkrupp said:

I’ll miss it for one. The Apple TV Remote is commonly viewed as shite. I’m sure that there are some people who love it.
    elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I’m glad that years ago we got rid of our Harmony remote and we use the Apple TV remote for everything and we love it.
    dangermouse2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    elijahg said:
    lkrupp said:

Many people here, ones that don't have their heads quite so far up Apple's ass as some.
    Yes, and there are  many here who don’t like anything Apple does, says, or produces. But they’re objective and unbiased, right?
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 24
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    I’ve had three different Harmony remotes, but always found them high effort to configure and maintain. Once TiVo acquired RF capability for its remote in addition to IR, the Harmony was retired with no regrets.

While the AppleTV remote may not be the world’s greatest, it’s not particularly difficult to use — why all the whinging? Alternatively you can use the built in remote app in iOS.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    lkrupp said:

Well you can start with me and the handful of people I know who despise the Apple Remote. 
  • Reply 13 of 24
    nealc5nealc5 Posts: 44member
    avon b7 said:
    I've never found a dedicated device that could do things to my liking and always thought, that with the correct tweaks, this is something that Apple could integrate into its product line to great effect. And not only via software, including the radios for motorised blinds for example. 

Voice and gesture control is nice but there are times when a touchscreen remote is the perfect tool. 
    I agree. There’s still a need for a programmable remote to make it simple to change inputs on my AVR. Obviously, this isn’t necessary for everyone, but for my setup, it’s essential. Otherwise, I need Sony TV, Denon AVR, Apple TV, Blu-Ray and Optoma Projector and drop-down screen remotes. A just try instructing my family on how to set the inputs on each device to make it all work. Now, with my Logitech remote, it only takes one button to set everything.  This kind of thing is still needed. I hope someone else provides this. 
    gregoriusmmobirdwatto_cobrawelshdog
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Why is the Apple TV remote so poorly designed? 
    darkvader
  • Reply 15 of 24
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    Just got a new TV for Christmas and ended up buying the matching soundbar just so I could ditch my flakey Harmony remote I needed to control mu old LG TV and my old Sony soundbar.

New TV's remote works flawlessly to control TV, soundbar, AND the Apple TV when it's the main input device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    nealc5 said:
    avon b7 said:

I agree. There’s still a need for a programmable remote to make it simple to change inputs on my AVR. Obviously, this isn’t necessary for everyone, but for my setup, it’s essential. Otherwise, I need Sony TV, Denon AVR, Apple TV, Blu-Ray and Optoma Projector and drop-down screen remotes. A just try instructing my family on how to set the inputs on each device to make it all work. Now, with my Logitech remote, it only takes one button to set everything.  This kind of thing is still needed. I hope someone else provides this. 

I sure do, as well. 
    watto_cobrawelshdog
  • Reply 17 of 24
    hmlongco said:
    Just got a new TV for Christmas and ended up buying the matching soundbar just so I could ditch my flakey Harmony remote I needed to control mu old LG TV and my old Sony soundbar.

New TV's remote works flawlessly to control TV, soundbar, AND the Apple TV when it's the main input device.
    Same here. Modern TV remote these days can control all devices once it’s selected and appears on TV screen. My Samsung TV remote can control Apple TV as well. I can see why Logitec Harmony is loosing business. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    If anyone dropped in on the home theater and home audio forums they would find that there are many with a need for the Harmony type of remote. The database of supported equipment was incredible. Harmony even had a Beta release for the Apple TV 4K to work around some of Apple's cumbersome commands. Have had Harmony remotes for many years, it makes life a little easier in our home.
    watto_cobrawelshdog
  • Reply 19 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It seems to me that Apple could easily fix the deficiencies of the Apple Remote by expanding the remote functions on the iPhone.

I would like to see better, easier ways to reverse, fast forward and chapter skip.  That slider thing is awkward, inefficient and lacks precision.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

As tied to being online as the configuration app is, this probably means that you won't be able to reconfigure existing remotes, anymore, either.  Is there anything on the market even half as capable?

Truly massive DB of devices and remote codes
    Mix/Match of functions from different devices for one activity
    Fine, per-device control over single-button timing and multi-command timing (e.g., when turning on and setting inputs on multiple devices at once)
    Manual recording of otherwise unsupported device codes

Harmony did it all...