Sony plans bigger push to bring PlayStation franchises to iPhone

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2021
Sony wants to expand its mobile gaming efforts, with job advertisements indicating it intends to adapt many PlayStation franchises to be playable on iPhone and iPad in the future.

The job advertisement seeking someone for the role of "Head of Mobile, PlayStation Studios, Sony Interactive Entertainment," in California. The listing explains the candidate will "lead all aspects of the expansion of your game development from consoles and PCs to mobile and live services," but with a focus on "successfully adapting PlayStation's most popular franchises for mobile."

The successful applicant will also be responsible for "building and scaling a team of mobile leaders," and will serve as "the head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios."

It seems from the job ad that Sony is keen to accelerate its mobile gaming, but it may take a while to emerge. Eurogamer reports the roadmap for the mobile business road map is set to run over three to five years.

The PlayStation Mobile publishing label already exists and operates, and has resulted in a few mobile titles including "Run Sackboy! Run!" and "Uncharted: Fortune Hunter" among others. It has also served as the publisher for some PC ports of PlayStation games, including "Horizon: Zero Dawn" and "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture."

Sony previously had a more significant presence in mobile gaming, such as the Xperia Play smartphone and its handheld game consoles the PlayStation Portable and PS Vita. There's also the ability to play PlayStation games via an iPhone or iPad, using the Remote Play app to stream from a console over the network.

Sony is also retreading a path that Nintendo has already taken. In 2017, Nintendo started to release iPhone games based on major franchises such as "Super Mario Run" and "Fire Emblem Heroes," which were well received by the public.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    This could be good for the AppleTV too :) 
    pulseimagesgregoriusmwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    No mention of iPhone or iPad that I can see, could be an Android push, which might make some sense with Sony's Xperia line.  It didn't work out so well last time with the Xperia Play, but it's been a while so maybe they're taking another shot.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Seems as if Sony finally started to pay attention to MS's assault on gaming with Game Pass.  I think Major League Baseball forcing them to share their Sony Interactive (formerly) exclusive IP, MLB the Show 21, with Microsoft and allow it to debut on Game Pass the same day as Sony's release was a major (intended) wake up call.  Game Pass is a beast that keeps getting better and better and better.  Fortunately we're early in the life of Game Pass so Sony has a good opportunity to catch up.  Let's hope they take advantage.

For those unaware of why MLB the Show on Game Pass is such a big deal.  1. Sony Interactive owns the IP.  2. It's developed in house by their San Diego Studio.  3.  PS4 and PS5 players will have to buy the game to play it.  4. XBOX Game Pass subscribers will be able to download and play it without having to buy the game.  Heretofore unheard of in gaming.
    edited April 2021 mixinmaster23
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I know I’m probably in the minority but I truly believe Apple should buy Sony. The two companies share a similar history and culture. While Sony would offer many many new fronts that could benefit Apple greatly. From TV panels, to movie and television studios (boost Apple TV+), game studios and consoles and services, and even music labels if they’re ere to choose to get that as well. If it were allowed to happen then it would be huge for Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I couldn’t agree more. Game Pass is huge and only getting bigger and better. MS is also taking a smart approach by buying up every studio it can so it can boost its offerings. This forces competitors like Sony to have no choice but to buy in. Not that Sony would’ve given in if it weren’t for MLB but I think now that their hand has been forced they’ll see the monster they’re really up against.

Seems as if Sony finally started to pay attention to MS's assault on gaming with Game Pass.  I think Major League Baseball forcing them to share their Sony Interactive (formerly) exclusive IP, MLB the Show 21, with Microsoft and allow it to debut on Game Pass the same day as Sony's release was a major (intended) wake up call.  Game Pass is a beast that keeps getting better and better and better.  Fortunately we're early in the life of Game Pass so Sony has a good opportunity to catch up.  Let's hope they take advantage.

For those unaware of why MLB the Show on Game Pass is such a big deal.  1. Sony Interactive owns the IP.  2. It's developed in house by their San Diego Studio.  3.  PS4 and PS5 players will have to buy the game to play it.  4. XBOX Game Pass subscribers will be able to download and play it without having to buy the game.  Heretofore unheard of in gaming.

• Reply 6 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I know I’m probably in the minority but I truly believe Apple should buy Sony. The two companies share a similar history and culture. While Sony would offer many many new fronts that could benefit Apple greatly. From TV panels, to movie and television studios (boost Apple TV+), game studios and consoles and services, and even music labels if they’re ere to choose to get that as well. If it were allowed to happen then it would be huge for Apple.
    It'd definitely be a huge expense, Sony's market cap is about $130bn.
    byronl
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    I suspect Apple do not buy Sony, as they are loss making(looked at 2020 balance sheet) . Their games division is not really a competitor to apple, casual gaming. They supply apple with camera lenses, but not worth buying. a loss making company just to get that. Sure, Sonys content would boost Apple TV, but you have to buy a loss making company to get the TV, and then you have the other divisions you do not want. Apple TV is in a crowded market, and its future is far from certain.
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 11
    No, don’t. Apple needs to focus on their Mac lines. Leave the entertainment industry alone. This is like AOL bought Time Warner. It’s a waste of resources. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    Totally agreed. Would love to see this happen. 

Apple spent over 3 billion for a headphone company. 

With Sony, they’d be getting some serious market inroads and knowhow. 

Can even keep the sony name for the b tier stuff

Apple could buy Sony right now in cash and still have 50 billion in the bank. 

edited April 2021 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

I think that headphone company makes more profit then Sony. 
  • Reply 11 of 11

Sony is a conglomerate with multiple business units.  Most of them have no synergies with Apple's businesses.  More importantly, most of them aren't profitable.  The Entertainment and Gaming units would be the only attractive and compatible parts for Apple.  The rest would be dead weight and there's no way Sony would sell piecemeal.  The Lens unit only generates revenue and market share because of the volume from Sony supplying lenses for "erbody and they momma".  Apple isn't going to do that and manufacturing lenses only for themselves would be a negative revenue endeavor.  

Apple wouldn't buy Sony in cash and have 50 billion in the bank.  They'd have a lot more in the bank since a deal would most likely be cash and stock. But a company worth a $130 billion valuation wouldn't be sold for $130 billion.  That's not how those types of sales go.  This is all cloud talk anyway since we're talking about Apple here.  Their largest acquisition was that headphone company.  You don't go from spending $3 billion to hundreds of billions.  With Beats they acquired the headphone company with the most profit and market share in the industry at that time, and a fully fleshed music streaming service.  With Sony they'd acquire a conglomerate with mostly dissimilar business units and a lot of dead weight.

It's all moot anyway.  The Japanese government would never allow Sony to be sold. 

muthuk_vanalingambyronl