Mini LED production issues hit forthcoming iPad Pro, shortages expected

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Manufacturers are reportedly facing problems with producing mini LED displays in volume for the forthcoming 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro
Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro

Apple has been expected to release two new iPad Pro models as soon as April, but there are now issues with the mini LED backlighting technology. This new system, expected to be exclusive to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro at first, improves the display by producer darker blacks and better contrast.

According to Bloomberg, sources in the supply chain say that yields of mini LED are poor, meaning that comparatively few completed and fault-free backlighting systems are being completed. It's not known how many different manufacturers are producing the mini LED system, but Bloomberg says that at least one company has paused production entirely.

Bloomberg claims that Apple will still announce revised versions of both the 12.9-inch and the 11-inch iPad Pro in the second half of April 2021. However, the production issues mean it's likely that shipping of the 12.9-inch model could start later than normal, or that supplies will be constrained.

The mini LED production issues also come as Apple's iPad is being affected by the global shortage of processors, which could last until mid-2022.

Other than the mini LED screen in the larger iPad Pro, it's not expected that either model will feature marked design changes.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    According to Bloomberg, sources in the supply chain say that yields of mini LED are poor, meaning that comparatively few completed and fault-free backlighting systems are being completed. It's not known how many different manufacturers are producing the mini LED system, but Bloomberg says that at least one company has paused production entirely.
    Hmm, having deja vu here. Wasn't it the Apple Watch Taptic engines that was rumored to have this issue too? You can search-n-replace on miniLED with Taptic Engine here, and the story would be the same.

The wait for this iPad Pro with miniLED is becoming downright torturous right now. Getting to be like when I held out with my 6S Plus for 5 years. I may miss a whole industrial design cycle. My 2017 iPad Pro 11 still works very very well. On the bright side, at least my bank account looks nicer.

• Reply 2 of 3
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    There's nothing in this article to support that the new iPads will be delayed or constrained, other than some tenuous connection between Bloomberg's supply chain comments (based on unknown sources) and the fact that Apple may be releasing iPad using mini LED displays. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    This is the oldest trick in the book - make people panic buy thinking supply will be limited. 
    Not saying this is the case here... but it is the oldest trick in the book. 
    muthuk_vanalingam