Biden Administration calls chip shortage a 'national security issue'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    flydog said:

lkrupp said:
    White House Summit my ass. There’s nothing he can do about it. Follow the money. China has our gonads in their hands. They could shut down our entire military industrial operations if they wanted to... overnight. Where do we get the metals to build our aircraft, like chromium, titanium? Where do we get our rare earth metals for all the fancy technologies we have?  Environmentalists have seen to it that we no longer mine those minerals on our soil. And of course it’s cheaper anyway to buy them from China.
    You'right. Meeting with CEOs of the largest tech companies in the world to discuss possible solutions that affects their industries is a stupid idea.  Better to just do nothing.

Let us know when you have equally logical suggestions for curing cancer and slowing global warming. 
    Do you really think Tim Cook would buy silicon from U.S. based chip fabs when he could get them at half the price from China? It’s not about finding solutions, it’s about the appearance of finding solutions. Just like the poor, ignorant souls here who constantly demand iPhone production be moved to the U.S. but would be unwilling to pay one penny more for their iPhone, it ain’t gonna happen because... MONEY
    edited April 2021 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    flydog said:

lkrupp said:
    White House Summit my ass. There’s nothing he can do about it. Follow the money. China has our gonads in their hands. They could shut down our entire military industrial operations if they wanted to... overnight. Where do we get the metals to build our aircraft, like chromium, titanium? Where do we get our rare earth metals for all the fancy technologies we have?  Environmentalists have seen to it that we no longer mine those minerals on our soil. And of course it’s cheaper anyway to buy them from China.
    You'right. Meeting with CEOs of the largest tech companies in the world to discuss possible solutions that affects their industries is a stupid idea.  Better to just do nothing.

Let us know when you have equally logical suggestions for curing cancer and slowing global warming. 
    Do you really think Tim Cook would buy silicon from U.S. based chip fabs when he could get them at half the price from China? It’s not about finding solutions, it’s about the appearance of finding solutions. Just like the poor, ignorant souls here who constantly demand iPhone production be moved to the U.S. but would be unwilling to pay one penny more for their iPhone, it ain’t gonna happen because... MONEY

In the 70's and 80's Japan ate our electronics, steel and auto industries.
    Back then we made excuses for how and why that happened ("They copied our....", "We gave them..."  blah, blah, blah...)

We have never come to grips the the reality (involving multiple factors) that caused that to happen.
    40 years later we still think we are the manufacturing industrial capital of the world and everybody else is stealing our mojo.
    So, we keep on making and remaking excuses....

Unfortunately, excuses don't build product.

• Reply 23 of 28
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    jdgaz said:
    Meanwhile, the White House will increase business taxes on these industries so they are no longer competitive with other non-US operations. Go figure. 
    Gee, how did it work years back when business taxes were appreciably higher and all these companies did just fine?

You mean back in the 1980's when a BASIC PC cost around $2,500 in 1980 dollars (or about $4,500 in today's dollars)?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    flydog said:

lkrupp said:

I hope you are aware that our Sun is NOT a constant output device.  The sun, the source of pretty much all the heat on earth, itself has sunspot cycles, that coincide pretty much definitively upon it's output.  So you have a chaotic (not random) model, in which the same weather prediction software that cannot accurately predict the weather more than 36 hours out, is being used as a tool to predict the weather 5-100 years out.  A broken clock is right twice a day; the forecasts VOLUNTARILY made by the Global Warming community have been 100% wrong ..... every ..... single .... time.

But, trust them this time. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hodar said:
    flydog said:

lkrupp said:

I hope you are aware that our Sun is NOT a constant output device.  The sun, the source of pretty much all the heat on earth, itself has sunspot cycles, that coincide pretty much definitively upon it's output.  So you have a chaotic (not random) model, in which the same weather prediction software that cannot accurately predict the weather more than 36 hours out, is being used as a tool to predict the weather 5-100 years out.  A broken clock is right twice a day; the forecasts VOLUNTARILY made by the Global Warming community have been 100% wrong ..... every ..... single .... time.

Thanks, but I'll trust science over propaganda.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    hodar said:
    flydog said:

lkrupp said:

You mean there aren't more extreme weather events now than previously?  Temperature records aren't being broken nearly every year?

I barely need to trust anyone, I just need to open my eyes
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    viclauyyc said:
    I read that it was Trump that ban companies to do business with Chinese chip makers.
    You misunderstood There were no bans on companies buying semiconductor chips from China AFAIK.  You may have confused things with a ban on exporting certain technologies to Chinese techs.