Apple announces April 20 special event - iPad Pro, AirTags expected

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2021
Apple has confirmed it will be holding a April release event on April 20, called "Spring Loaded," expected to feature the long-awaited "AirTags," an iPad Pro refresh, and perhaps other surprises.

Apple April 20 event invite
Apple April 20 event invite

Following rumors and claims that Apple would hold an event at all in March, Apple has announced that it will be holding one soon. A press release and an Apple Event page update on Wednesday says that the event will take place on April 20 at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Given the last three Apple special events and the all-virtual WWDC 2021, the event will likely take the form of a pre-produced video without a live audience.

AppleInsider will be covering the event live, providing full analysis during and after the event, and will include details of all of Apple's product launches and updates.

So excited for this one! Only seven more days. pic.twitter.com/PVJFcESqh8

-- Greg Joswiak (@gregjoz)

What to expect at the event

The biggest candidates for unveiling have to be "AirTags," Apple's long-rumored tracking accessory. Operating with the Find My app, the "AirTag" can be attached to anything, according to speculation, and by using encrypted Ultra Wideband pings received by nearby iPhones, it could offer the ability to track down items lost in public.

As events earlier in the year have previously featured iPads, it's likely that an updated iPad Pro and iPad mini could make an appearance. The former may use mini LED backlighting for an improved picture, including high contrast levels and enhanced color reproduction, among other features.

However, reports of mini LED production shortages through manufacturing issues in April, with low yields from suppliers. This could result in there could be either a delay or a limited supply of products using the technology.

The sixth-generation iPad mini may have a bigger 9-inch display, but at the same time the dimensions of the tablet may stay the same, or even shrink.

The push for Apple Silicon Macs may also prompt some updates to the product lines. A top favorite for inclusion is a 24-inch iMac, rumored to pack the M1 processor and be offered in a variety of color options.

The 14-inch MacBook Pro also stands chance of appearing, again using Apple Silicon. The larger 14-inch display may not increase the physical size of the model, as it may use a thinner bezel and take up the same space as the 13-inch version.

AirPod announcements are a possibility, such as the "AirPods 3," the "AirPods Pro lite," and the "AirPods X." While recent leaks point to Apple preparing the "AirPods 3" for launch, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo instead claims we should expect the model to arrive later in 2021 and not the event.

An update to Apple TV is also long overdue, but it may simply be a specifications bump rather than offering much in the way of new features.

Lastly, there's a chance Apple may introduce a multi-user Apple Card feature or announce an expansion of the financial product into a new territory.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    A month behind schedule.  Better have either a iPad Mini and/or better yet iPad Mini Pro!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 64
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Old news.

already knew this from my personal leaker.

OnPartyBusinessiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 64

A month behind schedule.  Better have either a iPad Mini and/or better yet iPad Mini Pro!
    I wonder how long Apple will keep this month behind streak? Forever now? WWDC in July??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 64
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    With the tagline of "Spring Loaded", I'm guessing iPad Pro + redesigned iMacs
    seanboy81radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 64
    That Apple logo is obviously drawn with an Apple Pencil.

iPads
    radarthekatwatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 64
    There is a past precedent for Apple releasing iPad Pros with a new X variant of an A series SoC and then releasing an ATV with the same SoC later in the year, so maybe the stars will align for A14X iPad Pros and an A14X ATV in 2021.
    gregoriusmradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    Beats said:

I wonder how long Apple will keep this month behind streak? Forever now? WWDC in July??
    How is this a month behind? Leakers said March and it came and went. Until Apple announces it it’s only a rumour. 
    randominternetpersoncornchipdocno42gregoriusmdewmewatto_cobrawilliamlondonRayz2016uraharallama
  • Reply 8 of 64
    stuartfstuartf Posts: 64member
    Beats said:

WWDC is already announced for June starting on the 7th
    cornchipwatto_cobrawilliamlondonllama
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    I’d love to see Apple Card expand to Canada and other nations. We’ve been waiting forever to be able to use Apple Cash. It’s a very handy feature my American friends use. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I’m so tired of hearing about Air Tags. This isn’t going to be a big product, particularly if they’re $39 each as the new Samsung product is. I just don’t see that many being sold at that price. Even the third party products at $29 aren’t doing that well.
    crowleyentropyselijahguraharallama
  • Reply 11 of 64
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Whose schedule?!
    gregoriusmdewmewatto_cobrawilliamlondonRayz2016llama
  • Reply 12 of 64
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    What schedule?  Where did Apple post a schedule or even announce this event before today?
    docno42gregoriusmdewmewatto_cobrawilliamlondonRayz2016llama
  • Reply 13 of 64

Beats said:

iPads
    As opposed to a Samsung stylus?
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 64

melgross said:
    I’m so tired of hearing about Air Tags. This isn’t going to be a big product, particularly if they’re $39 each as the new Samsung product is. I just don’t see that many being sold at that price. Even the third party products at $29 aren’t doing that well.
    Because you're not willing to spend the money doesn't mean others aren't.   And what facts do you have to support that "third party products at $29 aren't doing well." ?
    edited April 2021 docno42gregoriusmfastasleepwatto_cobrapulseimageswilliamlondontmay
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Anilu_777 said:
    Beats said:

How is this a month behind? Leakers said March and it came and went. Until Apple announces it it’s only a rumour. 

I don’t care what leakers say. Apples March event is usually in.... MARCH.

Pre-COVID the last non-March event was over a decade ago. To think it wasn’t delayed and that COVID didn’t have anything to do with this is delusional. 

stuartf said:
    Beats said:

WWDC is already announced for June starting on the 7th

Forgot about that one. Good to know the month delay won’t last forever.
    edited April 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 64
    flydog said:

Beats said:

iPads
    As opposed to a Samsung stylus?

As opposed to Apple announcing Apple Glasses or new MacBooks.

But sure, Maybe Apple will announce the new knockoff iPads from Sammy. 
  • Reply 17 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Looking forward to seeing M1 iMacs.
    seanboy81docno42mwhiteiqatedoradarthekatwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Apple_BarApple_Bar Posts: 134member
    melgross said:
    Yeah people aren’t interested in tags at all there is no market for them. Look at Tile what a failure they have only sold 26 million tiles since they got crowdfunded.

Specially people within the Apple’s ecosystem will not be interested in a first party Tag. 

/s

docno42gregoriusmfastasleepradarthekatwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 19 of 64
    You mean, a month behind *your* foot-stamping, must be gratified now schedule. Clarification is important. 
    docno42watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    melgross said:
    I’m so tired of hearing about Air Tags. This isn’t going to be a big product,
    the same as the iPhone, iPad and watch, right?

I dunno - they could have helped my dad find a few pairs of glasses. $40 would be a cheap insurance policy. 

Then again since you have no need, no one else could be possibly be interested, eh?
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra