Apple behind Microsoft, Google, Intel, Samsung in reputation survey

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple came in 46th in a new listing of 100 global companies, behind nearly every other big tech company, in survey results utilizing metrics to determine a company's reputation.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

In 2021, RepTrak found that it was more difficult for corporations to break into the top 100 in its rankings. The average score for companies in the listing was 75, the highest in years.

Apple nabbed spot 46 with a score of 74.9, which RepTrak describes as "Strong." In 45th place was Under Armour, and Mastercard took 47th place.

Lego Group took the top spot as the company with the highest reputation according to RepTrak's metrics. Rolex, Ferrari, the Bosch Group, and Harley-Davidson rounded out the top five, in that order.

1. LEGO Group

2. Rolex

3. Ferrari

4. The Bosch Group

5. Harley-Davidson

6. Canon

7. Adidas

8. The Walt Disney Company

9. Microsoft

10. Sony

When it came to technology companies, many major tech giant ranked above Apple -- including Microsoft, Google, Intel, and Samsung. Amazon, however, came in 92nd. Tesla ranked 56th. Facebook didn't break into the top 100 in 2021.

"Being relevant mattered in a difficult year. Consumer durables and apparel, technology (both hardware and software) and household and personal products companies lead the way after a year when the world depended on them for productivity, entertainment, comfort and safety," RepTrak said of the rankings.

Other interesting findings suggested that GenZ and Millennials perceive companies differently, with the former group eyeing corporations with the greatest skepticism. Millennials were the most positive of all the groups, with GenX and Boomers falling somewhere in the middle.

RepTrak ranks companies on its list by measuring reputation on a 0 to 100 scale using several metrics: Products & Services, Innovation, Citizenship, Performance, Governance, Leadership and Workplace. It performed its analysis on reputation data collected between December 2020 and January 2021.

According to RepTrak, companies had to be a corporate brand above $2 billion, achieve a global average familiarity threshold above 20%, and reach a qualifying reputation score above the median to be considered for the list.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The fact that Harley Davidson is in the top five has me dismissing this "rating".  It immediately puts to question exactly how this rating was compiled.
    agilealtitudetmayBeatsjdb8167cornchipseanjmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    Without knowing what’s actually being measured, a survey score for a subjective thing like “reputation” is meaningless. What do they mean by “reputation?” RepTrak requires you to give them your contact info just to see their report, so who knows what it actually says, much less what their methodology was for the survey.
    jdb8167seanjmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Wanna bet most people dismissed Apple because of all the hate tech blogs, ads and YouTubers give them.

Most probably read a “slave labor” meme or some other crap.

Gen Z is also known as iGeneration. 
    lkruppmagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    sflocal said:
    The fact that Harley Davidson is in the top five has me dismissing this "rating".  It immediately puts to question exactly how this rating was compiled.
    The problem with this "reputation rating" is it does not directly measure reputation from a consumer's standpoint, but rather it estimates it based on a metrics created by RepTrak, most of which have little relevance to the average consumer's perception of a company.

But it does make for great clickbait. 
    cornchipseanjmagman1979watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 14
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    sflocal said:
    Why?  Harley-Davidson is a very well known and respected brand that has been in business way longer than Apple.  Their motorcycles are owned by people who are passionate about the brand.  I myself would have them on the wish list if I were to buy a motorcycle.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 14
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    Just shows how stupid and underinformed people are. I'd like to see the questions they were asked. Of course, I've never answered any of these surveys because most start out by asking me for personal information, which I refuse to give. Of the top 10, I only buy things from three of them and of those three I'd rate them far below Apple. Guess which ones I've bought from?
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    M68000 said:
    sflocal said:
    Why?  Harley-Davidson is a very well known and respected brand that has been in business way longer than Apple.  Their motorcycles are owned by people who are passionate about the brand.  I myself would have them on the wish list if I were to buy a motorcycle.
    Around here, Harley's mostly appeal to men over 50 who want to live out their youthful fantasies. Any HOG meeting is dominated by people like me, in their 60's with grey hair. I've been riding bikes since I was 10 and bought my first one in 1969 and still ride today but I would not be seen dead on a Harley unless it was electric.  Harley has tried to make their bikes appeal to youngsters in recent years with smaller engine sizes but from the reports in the motorcycle press, this has failed.
    The pair of Electric Bikes that they used on 'Long Way Up' was a good move but the livewire is just stupidly expensive. I can buy a fully electric car for less than the Electric Harley.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    YES! Thank you. THIS IS THE TRUTH. The irony here, is that many folks from Micro$oft work at Apple.  That micro$oft like culture, is what the mac consumer/user now experiences with Apple products. Frustration, bugs, hard to use, non-direct, smoke and mirrors, bloated, overly complicated software. "It just works" is long dead. The amount of careless or *HateProgramming that is in the mac environment is quite high. Sad. 

*hateprogramming: programming done by individuals that hate their job. Often leads to code that is buggy, and in some cases purposely put forth to frustrate the end user. See example: windows 95, 2000, 10. etc, M$ office, and now parts of mac os/ios.  :P  

• Reply 9 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    M68000 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm a motorcycle rider of 30+ years, and own three motorcycles.  None of them Harleys.  The only things those bikes are good for is going in a straight line, waking up the neighbors, and needing a mechanic (along with BMW).  I get the American-company and heavy "Hog" mentality, but that's about it.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    rob53 said:
    Just shows how stupid and underinformed people are. I'd like to see the questions they were asked. Of course, I've never answered any of these surveys because most start out by asking me for personal information, which I refuse to give. Of the top 10, I only buy things from three of them and of those three I'd rate them far below Apple. Guess which ones I've bought from?
    Rolex, Adidas, and Disney?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sflocal said:
    M68000 said:
    sflocal said:
    I'm a motorcycle rider of 30+ years, and own three motorcycles.  None of them Harleys.  The only things those bikes are good for is going in a straight line, waking up the neighbors, and needing a mechanic (along with BMW).  I get the American-company and heavy "Hog" mentality, but that's about it.
    I have a Gilera, and if the desire struck me to buy something else would lean toward an old Triumph or perhaps a Janus...  certainly NOT a Harley!
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    digitol said:
    YES! Thank you. THIS IS THE TRUTH. The irony here, is that many folks from Micro$oft work at Apple.  That micro$oft like culture, is what the mac consumer/user now experiences with Apple products. Frustration, bugs, hard to use, non-direct, smoke and mirrors, bloated, overly complicated software. "It just works" is long dead. The amount of careless or *HateProgramming that is in the mac environment is quite high. Sad. 

*hateprogramming: programming done by individuals that hate their job. Often leads to code that is buggy, and in some cases purposely put forth to frustrate the end user. See example: windows 95, 2000, 10. etc, M$ office, and now parts of mac os/ios.  :P  

You do know writing coherent sentences in English requires the observance of grammar, rather than randomly spluttering words out?
    magman1979MacProwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 14
    M68000 said:
    sflocal said:
    No doubt some people are passionate about their Harleys. But most of them are chaps-wearing posers, who seem to believe that straddling a loud, gas-guzzling paint shaker on wheels gives them some sort of street cred. And most other riders, including me, just shake our heads when we encounter them. Harley Davidson is currently on the brink of insolvency, and they have nothing of any value in the pipepline to offer. The fact that H-D appears in any list of companies with a good reputation makes this "survey" comically irrelevant.
    MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    digitol said:

Beyond the fact you've just outed yourself as a total troll, you do know that using the dollar sign to signify an alphabet letter really shows immaturity?

Oh, and NOTHING you blathered about is true, full stop.

Now get a life.
    MacProwatto_cobrajony0