VanMoof's early Find My integration started with a forum post

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dutch electric bicycle maker VanMoof was among three companies to gain early support for Apple's newly expanded Find My object location network last week, a project that started nearly a year ago with a forum post.

VanMoof

As detailed by iCulture, VanMoof initially reached out to Apple through a developer forum in June or July of 2020, shortly after the tech giant announced plans to build out Find My support for non-Apple devices.

Apple revealed the expansion to the Find My network at WWDC 2020, later introducing certification through the Made For iPhone (MFi) program.

According to Job Stehmann, VanMoof's head of product design, a developer contacted Apple and discovered the company was actively looking for partners that could bring "something new" to the table. After agreeing to collaborate, VanMoof, through its office in San Francisco, sent a number of prototype bikes to Apple engineers for evaluation. The companies discussed the program's progress in weekly meetings.

Despite constant communication, the project hit a few speed bumps. Apple is used to working with small Bluetooth devices like earbuds, not larger products that require software to control motors, locks, and an anti-theft system. The tech giant was, at times, a bit lost, Stehmann said.

It took VanMoof and Apple about nine months of collaboration to complete Find My integration, with the effort focused mainly on software. That is a significant chunk of time and resources to dedicate, but Stehmann said the result was worth the price. He believes others will follow suit.

With Find My certification in place, VanMoof's S3 and E3 models sold after April 7 can be tracked in the Find My app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Owners can also mark a bike as lost to be notified of its whereabouts when another iPhone user is in close proximity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    GAME CHANGER.

Find My will be bigger than Tile. Calling it now.

”Apple hasn’t innovated in years!!!!”
    -My ass
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Beats said:
    GAME CHANGER.

-My ass

"We're going to do a thing that's actually incredibly obvious, and we're going to do it literally years after other companies have already been doing it.  And the fanbois are going to actually claim that we're innovating."
    -Apple
    BeatsCloudTalkinmichelb76
  • Reply 3 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:
    GAME CHANGER.

-My ass

"We're going to do a thing that's actually incredibly obvious, and we're going to do it literally years after other companies have already been doing it.  And the fanbois are going to actually claim that we're innovating."
    -Apple

Find My is OLD. This is an innovative twist.

No it’s not like Tile. Dumb a**. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Also, "VanMoof"?  As in dogcow in a van?  But they make electric bicycles?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    darkvader said:
    Also, "VanMoof"?  As in dogcow in a van?  But they make electric bicycles?
    VanMoof is doing pretty well for themselves. They have a very specific niche in the bike market with things that make their bikes unique and that's probably why they've been able to raise quite a bit of capital funding over the years. Integrating with Find My was a definite no-brainer if you know what their bikes are about...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Sucks if you bought one of the older bikes, maybe they can service them with a new kit.
    watto_cobra