Kuo: 48MP camera with 8K support coming to iPhone in 2022, 'mini' model axed

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2021
Apple is planning a major camera upgrade for iPhone in 2022, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, with that year's flagship handsets expected to sport a massive 48-megapixel lenser.

iPhone 14

In a note to investors on Wednesday, Kuo predicts Apple's top-tier "iPhone 14" models to adopt a 1/1.3" 48MP CMOS image sensor for wide angle camera module duties. The company typically concentrates on wide angle camera technology first, with the benefits trickling down to telephoto and ultra-wide angle systems in subsequent years.

Interestingly, the sensor could support hybrid operating modes to maximize pixel size and capitalize on the hardware's light-gathering capabilities.

"We believe that the new 2H22 iPhone may support direct 48MP output and 12MP (four cells merge output mode) output simultaneously," Kuo says. "With 12MP output, the CIS pixel size of the new 2H22 iPhone increases to about 2.5um, which is significantly larger than the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13, and larger than existing Android phones, and close to the DSC level."

Pixel size at native 48MP resolutions comes in at about 1.25um, Kuo says. For reference, iPhone 12's pixels clock in at 1.7um, while Kuo predicts this year's "iPhone 13" to sport a sensor with 2um pixels.

The high resolution sensor is expected to support 8K video recording, a substantial bump over iPhone's current 4K limit. Though frame rates were not mentioned in today's report, Kuo believes the addition will benefit recordings for augmented reality devices, a sector Apple is widely rumored to enter in the near future.

Existing supplier Sony will produce the forthcoming sensor, with LG working on the compact camera module (CCM), Kuo says.

Apple is anticipated to pay more per camera module with the move to 48MP. In addition to tilt control, calibration of the CCM will be more complicated than current iPhone models due to the sensor's increased surface area. The iPhone 12 Pro was the first to implement sensor-shift stabilization on the wide angle module.

Finally, Kuo suggests Apple will discontinue the iPhone mini line in 2022, offering only 6.1- and 6.7-inch variants of the base model and "Pro" series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    This is exciting. Is 2022 also the year a foldable iPhone is being introduced?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 69
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Love the mini. Will keep it as long as possible.
    caladaniandoozydozenqwerty52seanjlongpathGeorgeBMacbyronlmobirdkitatitdm3
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Hate it when Apple axes something good just because it sells “only ok”.
    doozydozenqwerty52longpathbyronlentropyselijahgmobirdkitatitdm3pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Will these new lenses be devoid of the horrible green orbs that plague current and past iPhone photos?
    neo-tech
  • Reply 5 of 69
    It’s about the Zoom and Macro these days. If Apple does not get a nice telezoom lens and macro lens it will still be lagging behind its competitors out of China. 
    byronlelijahgkitatitpulseimagesJaiOh81baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 69
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    It’s about the Zoom and Macro these days. If Apple does not get a nice telezoom lens and macro lens it will still be lagging behind its competitors out of China. 
    And now 'microscope' too.

iPhones have improved a lot in recent years but smartphone cameras moved away from focusing (no pun intended) solely on image quality few years ago and brought the notion of 'versatility' to the table so I think you are correct and most people would have to agree with you.

Now, those added features that provided versatility are being honed on competing phones and rumours like this one seem to confirm Apple's plan to give users these features very, very slowly. 

If it weren't for the component shortage and and politics, the P50 series would already be here and that is widely recognised the industry benchmark series for new advances in smartphone camera technology, and will probably widen the divide when it arrives. 

edited April 2021 byronlelijahg
  • Reply 7 of 69
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    entropys said:
    Apple needs to remember that it didn't get to where it is by satisfying stockholders.

Meeting customer wants and needs (even if it had to create them!) is what made (and makes) Apple great.  Yeh, only a minority want a smaller phone.  But likewise only a minority (8%) want a Mac.  

I strongly doubt that Apple is losing money on the mini.  Rather, because of lower demand they aren't making as much on it as a larger phone.  If that assumption is true then Apple is putting the interests of stockholders above those of their customers -- and that is not a sustainable business plan.

byronlelijahgkitatitdm3pulseimagesright_said_fredpatchythepirateargonautbaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 69
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Will these new lenses be devoid of the horrible green orbs that plague current and past iPhone photos?
    That’s likely because you use fluorescent lighting. 
    patchythepiratecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 69
    I agree. Wide angle is rarely anywhere near as useful as a zoom. The media has been raving about the super zooms on some Android phones, but I haven’t seen anything other than a passing mention of the iPhone’s wide angle lens. It’s just nowhere near as useful. You can usually take a step back and that is essentially wide angle. But you often can’t get closer to something for a shot. 
    dm3retrogustobaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 69
    entropys said:
    Apple needs to remember that it didn't get to where it is by satisfying stockholders.

Meeting customer wants and needs (even if it had to create them!) is what made (and makes) Apple great.  Yeh, only a minority want a smaller phone.  But likewise only a minority (8%) want a Mac.  

I strongly doubt that Apple is losing money on the mini.  Rather, because of lower demand they aren't making as much on it as a larger phone.  If that assumption is true then Apple is putting the interests of stockholders above those of their customers -- and that is not a sustainable business plan.

Unfortunately Cook is all about two things - squeezing as much profit out of products as possible, with the sole aim of increasing share price to satisfy investors, and using Apple as a platform for his virtue signalling. He only cares about the products as much as he has to to ensure continued profit growth.

The HomePod was probably cancelled as it didn’t hit some return on investment metric. AppleTV+ on the other hand is being given a free pass as it’s Cook’s attempt at a legacy. They’ve spent billions on AppleTV+, likely much more than the HP, but barely anyone talks about it. When the HP was cancelled, the thread had more comments by non-regulars than I’ve seen in years. The threads on AppleTV+ get a couple of comments, if that. 
    edited April 2021 GeorgeBMacchemengin1patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 69
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Once Apple blesses the iPhone mini as a "PRO" with stainless steel and the better cameras then everything will be copacetic...
    dm3retrogustopulseimagespatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 69
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    You mean lense flare?

Unless you can find a way to bypass the laws of physics or take pictures where you're not pointing at light source. 
    On DSLR's the lense hood can eliminate them.  
    edited April 2021 jellybellypulseimageswatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 69
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    This is an artifact caused by lens flare. It’s more pronounced on multi-element lens systems, which iPhone uses. It’s not at all unique to iPhone or even smart phones. You can reduce the occurrence of lens flare artifacts by not shooting directly into a bright light source, like the sun. I’ve heard that lens flare can be reduced or avoided with hooded lenses, so maybe Apple (and every other device maker who puts a camera in their device) will someday release a pop out lens hood on their devices or you can use a third party lens attachment. Until then, photo editing software is your best bet if you cannot avoid the situations that cause lens flare.
    jellybellyargonautwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 69

Macro you say? 

I shot these on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. 
    Just bare the iPhone, no special lens attached. Check out the pollen particles on the last shot.

If you shoot at 2.5x, the camera and computational algorithms recognize flowers among other things and snaps into focus around approximately 6 inches away. Last years iPhone 11pro Max gave me nearly similar results with 2x lens.  

I have professional gear as an NCAA Div I sports photographer (recently retired at 73). I have top of the line full frame cameras around $6000 each and a top of the line macro lens—its depth of field is so shallow that I’d have to focus stack to get these results or stop down so much I’d lose sharpness. If that doesn’t make sense, look it up—it’s about the physics of lenses small and large, focal length, build quality and in Apple’s case, computational photography.

I hope you enjoy these and are inspired to experiment.

P.S. These will likely not show at their full resolution on this comment page. 

mobirdJaiOh81mike1chadbagargonauthcrefugeewatto_cobraiqatedofastasleepradarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 69
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member

elijahg said:
    entropys said:

Unfortunately Cook is all about two things - squeezing as much profit out of products as possible, with the sole aim of increasing share price to satisfy investors, and using Apple as a platform for his virtue signalling. He only cares about the products as much as he has to to ensure continued profit growth.

The HomePod was probably cancelled as it didn’t hit some return on investment metric. AppleTV+ on the other hand is being given a free pass as it’s Cook’s attempt at a legacy. They’ve spent billions on AppleTV+, likely much more than the HP, but barely anyone talks about it. When the HP was cancelled, the thread had more comments by non-regulars than I’ve seen in years. The threads on AppleTV+ get a couple of comments, if that. 
    As is often the case with postings like this, perception trumps reality. 
    A simple Google search yields some interesting facts. 

We can see that Apple's margins started their upwards trajectory under Jobs until they hit their peak in 2012 (peak iPhone?). They have since levelled off under Tim Cook. So what conclusions can we draw? SJ was a greedy S.O.B. and TC is level headed manager?

Source: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAPL/apple/profit-margins

watto_cobraapplguyStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 69
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I hope the Mini isn’t cancelled, but it wouldn’t entirely surprise me. I’ve been wanting a smaller phone for years now, but in the end, the camera is one of the most important features. If I have to choose between the convenience of having a smaller phone and the convenience of having a telephoto camera, I somewhat grudgingly go for the camera. I don’t care at all about ultra-wide, but if you want to take a picture that resembles what you see with your eyes, you need the telephoto (which is barely even telephoto by normal photography standards). And price isn’t the issue either—I’d gladly pay a “Pro” price for a Mini with a telephoto camera. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 69
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    iPhone mini makes sense. If they make 13 mini perfect what is reasonable as A15 will be more efficient and battery a bit bigger, they can sell this mini version for years. It wont have competition.
    pulseimagesmobirdbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 69
    entropys said:

Doesn’t the Mini sell as much as the SE? I haven’t seen any mention of the SE being axed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 69
    I might need to buy a second mini and put it away just in case...
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 69
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member

Oh please! What a moronic comment.
    Not sure AI did away with the old "thumbs down"
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraapplguy