Peloton cuts Apple Watch Fitness support back to just the cycling class

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Peloton removed the ability for users to connect the Apple Watch to the Bike+ Bootcamp Classes, leaving only the cycling class.

Peloton Bike+ pulling back on GymKit support
Peloton Bike+ pulling back on GymKit support

One of the advertised features of the Peloton Bike+ was its ability to use Apple GymKit and connect the Apple Watch for fitness tracking. A recent update cut out yet another workout from pairing with the Apple Watch, leaving only the cycling class.

The Peloton Bike+ had already disabled Apple Watch paring for strength and yoga classes, and may not enable the pairing feature for future classes. Connect the Watts speculates this has been done to push users to possible future devices created by Peloton.

Peloton had acquired a company dedicated to developing fitness bands earlier in 2021. The Apple Watch would be in direct competition to their device, so removing features early may push customers to adopt the proprietary fitness band later.
Apple doesn't make its own gym hardware, but it does offer a competitive service called Apple Fitness+. The service is available as a monthly subscription for $9.99 or as a part of the Apple One Premier plan.

Peloton's CEO called Fitness+ a "legitimization of fitness content," though now the companies are direct competitors. Peloton's move into fitness bands may be enough reason to remove Apple Watch support but at the risk of alienating users.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Why doesn't Apple just buy Petolon or Nordictrack. Both make products that complement Apple Fitness+. Both already have similar services to Apple Fitness+. Peloton, as described above is probably developing an Apple Watch type device. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Peloton? 

Buy a real bike and go outside!
    iqatedomobirdGeorgeBMacdavgregbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 24
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    They just complicated my considerations for buying one of their machines. If it’s not going to be compatible with Apple Watch. I will have to find another option. 
    BeatsGeorgeBMacomasouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Peloton? 

Yes... because winter weather doesn't happen. 
  • Reply 5 of 24
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Peloton? 

I grew up in Wisconsin and my first bike was a Christmas gift. Started out riding it around the pool table downstairs. Moved on to riding it on the frozen lake. So it can be done but I wouldn't do the same now that I'm older. It was a fun riding it on ice. Obviously you had to be very careful starting, stopping, and turning. Yeah, bike riding outdoors is a warmer weather activity for the most part.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Peloton? 

$200 training stand for your real bike, and netflix.  
    FileMakerFellerGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jpellino said:
    Peloton? 

$200 training stand for your real bike, and netflix.  
    That would be inside correct? Did you read the comment I responded to?

Also, rollers would be a better option than a trainer. Especially at the 200 dollar range, trainers at that price are largely garbage.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 8 of 24

daven said:
    Peloton? 

I grew up in Wisconsin and my first bike was a Christmas gift. Started out riding it around the pool table downstairs. Moved on to riding it on the frozen lake. So it can be done but I wouldn't do the same now that I'm older. It was a fun riding it on ice. Obviously you had to be very careful starting, stopping, and turning. Yeah, bike riding outdoors is a warmer weather activity for the most part.
    Without a doubt you can ride a bike in colder weather but the type of thing you are talking about isn't the same type of cycling a person would do for a workout. I lived in midwest for years and going out for a road ride just wouldn't be an option through most of the winter. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Peloton? 

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but in urban areas of the Northeastern U.S. you're taking your life into your hands by cycling on streets that have moving traffic on one side of you and a wall of parallel parked cars on the other. 
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I bet Tim Sweeney is pissed about the lock-in.
    BeatsFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Oh fu** that!!

Time for Apple NOT to buy Peloton but to buy all their competitors and pump real money into them and become a competitor.

Also class action lawsuit and refunds for those who bought it for gymkit. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    davendaven Posts: 696member

daven said:
    Peloton? 

Without a doubt you can ride a bike in colder weather but the type of thing you are talking about isn't the same type of cycling a person would do for a workout. I lived in midwest for years and going out for a road ride just wouldn't be an option through most of the winter. 
    I need to better indicate when my posts are to be taken as humor and not as a debate.
    mobirdFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Peloton? 

I agree. 

I have a real bike and I ride it indoors as well using a 30 year old magnetic resistance track stand.  Great for winter weather.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Peloton is for people with plenty of money or for gyms. So are Apple watches. 

Methinks Peloton expects users to opt in for a lock-in to their competing Apple Watch product. Highly doubt it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    There's a long history of Apple users getting screwed over - It's the main reason Apple prefers to go their own way. Now that they've built a substantial, thriving ecosystem for their users, everyone else wants to tear it down.

If Peloton users really want Apple Watch support, they should let Peloton know. I'm sure there's enough of their users that have Apple Watches.
    edited April 2021 FileMakerFellerGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Peloton? 

Can't speak for the rest of the country, but in urban areas of the Northeastern U.S. you're taking your life into your hands by cycling on streets that have moving traffic on one side of you and a wall of parallel parked cars on the other. 
    I’ve ridden in New York City for years. 
    Gotten a few door prizes and crashed a few times. Get up, keep going… 

In the scenario you describe, you take the lane. Drivers honk. Eff them. 😝
    Being somewhat aggressive is a necessary component, too.

I also ride with a whistle. Any problems I ever had were because people didn’t know I was there. With my whistle, they do!
    watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 17 of 24
    chadbag said:
    Peloton? 

I agree. 

I have a real bike and I ride it indoors as well using a 30 year old magnetic resistance track stand.  Great for winter weather.  
    Same here. I have an old set of Kreisler rollers, but hate falling off. Getting a fixed stand at some point soon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Peloton? 

• Reply 19 of 24
    Peloton? 

True!   Cycling on most roads means that cars have to pile up behind the cyclist -- which leads many to do unsafe things.
    Fortunately, we in Pittsburgh have 100+ miles of safe, well groomed rails to trails to walk, run and cycle on. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    larryjw said:
    Peloton is for people with plenty of money or for gyms. So are Apple watches. 

Methinks Peloton expects users to opt in for a lock-in to their competing Apple Watch product. Highly doubt it. 

Many see an Apple Watch as a trinket or unnecessary gadget.   But, if I had to choose between my iPhone and my Apple Watch I would choose the watch.   I don't have "plenty of money" but I see it as a necessity for safety and health reasons.
    watto_cobra