Blogger successfully hacks Jaguar I-Pace electric car into HomeKit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
A home automation blogger has managed to add a Jaguar I-Pace electric vehicle to a HomeKit setup, allowing multiple car functions to be controlled by the system.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

By integrating a HomeBridge plugin into the Jaguar's InControl API, Siobhan Ellis was able to create a system that allows the car to be monitored, controlled, and automated.

The setup allows basic data like charging levels and current interior temperature to be read in HomeKit. Ellis can also send commands to the vehicle, including a command to start charging the battery.

Credit: Siobhan Ellis

There are possibilities for automation, as well. Ellis points out that the system can automatically pre-condition a car based on calendar events. The system can also automatically unlock the vehicle in the morning as well.

As the blogger points out, the system requires a fair bit of manual configuration, but some shortcomings were overcome with hardware tinkering. Ellis added wireless CarPlay through a CPLAY2air adapter and installed a MagSafe charger on the dashboard to charge an iPhone.

It isn't a plug-and-play system, but the blog post, first spotted by MacRumors, shows how useful it could be to add a vehicle to HomeKit.

Although Apple or vehicle manufacturers haven't officially touted car automation via HomeKit, there are some signs that it could be a mainstream solution in the future. Apple is working on a new CarKey feature and has closely collaborated with automakers like BMW and Porsche to bring Apple functionality to more vehicles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    That's stupidly awesome!

Am I old in that I thought I saw a CB Radio handset in that first picture!
    CloudTalkinOferPetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Great bit of news. I'm sorely tempted to have a go at connecting up my I-Pace however I'm not sure what extra it would give me over the functionality of apps like 'MyPace' and the JLR In-Control app. Still kudos to the person who did this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    According to the MR article, HomeBridge is the key.  HomeBridge is awesome btw.  Additionally, in the comment section, members highlighted that HomeBridge also has integration for Mercedes, Tesla, and Volvo.  I am assuming it's also available for more brands as well.  This is probably not for the novice tinkerer but is cool as all get out nonetheless.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The Jag is probably still using Lucas electrics  :)
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    No lower case “i” as in “iPace”? WOW. I’m used to every company pathetically copying Apple.

Remember iGoogle? 🤣
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    mknelson said:
    That's stupidly awesome!

That is the iPhone holder / charger.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    BigBWSRBigBWSR Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    I’ve been doing this for a long time now with my Mercedes and Home Assistant. Home Assistant supports exposing integrations to homekit. 

• Reply 8 of 11
    Great bit of news. I'm sorely tempted to have a go at connecting up my I-Pace however I'm not sure what extra it would give me over the functionality of apps like 'MyPace' and the JLR In-Control app. Still kudos to the person who did this.
    I'm the person who wrote the blog article.

I must admit I did it to see if I could, and kudos to the person who wrote the plug-in.

Benefit? Well integration with shortcuts or home automation. This morning I tied it in with my alarm to get up. So alarm went off, and I started pre-conditioning the car.

viclauyycPetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11

bmwtwisty said:
    The Jag is probably still using Lucas electrics  :)
    I wrote the blog post.

I'm sure you think it's hilarious about Lucas. And it was in the 1960's to 1980's. However, I can tell you I owned a 1967 E-Type in my past. The only part that broke? a German fuel pump!

PetrolDavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mknelson said:
    That's stupidly awesome!

That's a 10-4, good buddy.
    watto_cobra