Glossy 'Apple Pencil 3' on display in video by new leaker

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2021
A new leaker claiming to have information from inside Chinese factories shared a short video of a glossy "Apple Pencil 3."

The 'Apple Pencil 3' may combine design elements of the previous models
The 'Apple Pencil 3' may combine design elements of the previous models

Leaks surrounding a new Apple Pencil have been sparse so far, but a new video shows a glossy design with a flat side for inductive charging. This leaker known as "@ileakeer" on Twitter doesn't have much of a history or following, so it is difficult to determine if the video is real.

The design of the Apple Pencil shown in the video lines up with a photo shared by a well-known leaker called "Mr. White." The photo shared on Twitter in early March had an Apple pencil that seemed to have a flat side, thicker casing, and a glossy white finish.

New Apple Pencil pic.twitter.com/CWGQrkU2Yn

-- Mr White (@laobaiTD)

The video in the first tweet could be the real thing, just a fabrication, or a third-party model. 9to5Mac first discovered the tweet and considered it a corroboration of Mr. White's earlier tweet.

Another social media post, this time on Chinese social media website Weibo, said that the "Apple Pencil 3" was nearly ready for release. With all of the leaks surrounding the product an imminent announcement is probable.

The "Spring Loaded" event is on April 20, and Apple is expected to release multiple products including a new Apple Pencil. The next iPad Pro may be announced with 5G, USB-4, and a mini LED display. Apple may also finally announce the "AirTags" tracking devices.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    So what’s new with Apple Pencil 3..?
    watto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    jasonfj said:

Maybe they'll add eraser support with a sensor on the other end. Find My support? Tap gestures for copy & paste? Fingerprint reader for filling in password fields? Drawing record & playback?  I wish Apple wasn't so enamored with the glossy thing, or at least offered a matte optional finish and maybe even the option of a colored pencil body, personalized engraving, etc.

I've always thought that personalized engraving on iPads was a bad idea for trade-in purposes, but personalized engraving on an Apple Pencil is a no-brainer since they are easy to misplace and all look alike.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobrabestkeptsecretforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dewme said:
    jasonfj said:

Maybe they'll add eraser support with a sensor on the other end. Find My support? Tap gestures for copy & paste? Fingerprint reader for filling in password fields? Drawing record & playback?  I wish Apple wasn't so enamored with the glossy thing, or at least offered a matte optional finish and maybe even the option of a colored pencil body, personalized engraving, etc.

I've always thought that personalized engraving on iPads was a bad idea for trade-in purposes, but personalized engraving on an Apple Pencil is a no-brainer since they are easy to misplace and all look alike.
    Apple has been engraving the Pencil for years.

watto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Rayz2016 said:
    dewme said:
    jasonfj said:

Apple has been engraving the Pencil for years.

Thanks! The last Apple Pencil I bought is a 1st Gen, at an Apple Store, but it's good to know that my next one can and will be personalized.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Glossy? Sigh.

i assume there’s still no eraser end, and that the stylus tip is still hard and glossy plastic that slides around too easily on the glass of the screen. All this is why I rarely use my first gen, and didn’t care about the second gen.

i hope this leak is fake and that there’s something much better coming for real, but I won’t hold my breath. So tired of Apple doing the least it can do with so many of these products. I’m open to being surprised, especially since Jony Ive is gone, but really just expecting disappointment.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dewme said:
    jasonfj said:

I’ve seen reports elsewhere that the new model may include special sensors in a newly designed tip to allow for extremely accurate color-picking capabilities. Also, there have been whispers of AR integration to allow for 3D drawing. And finally, an upgraded touch surface to allow for some personalized options (ie: cut and paste). Take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I’d be happy with the eraser upgrade you suggested. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    dysamoria said:
    Glossy? Sigh.

i assume there’s still no eraser end, and that the stylus tip is still hard and glossy plastic that slides around too easily on the glass of the screen. All this is why I rarely use my first gen, and didn’t care about the second gen.

i hope this leak is fake and that there’s something much better coming for real, but I won’t hold my breath. So tired of Apple doing the least it can do with so many of these products. I’m open to being surprised, especially since Jony Ive is gone, but really just expecting disappointment.
    Expecting disappointment? You? 
    JapheyRayz2016watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    Looks like an...

Apple Pencil 2. 

But sprayed with laquer. 

Prefer the grip of matte. 

Always thought it was lame to not just flip the pencil around to erase. Much more intuitive. 

Hopefully they make it bsckwards compatible. 

But they won’t. Need to drive new iPad Pro sales. 

Speaking of which, I trust they are monsters waiting to be unleashed. 

probably right on par with m1 performance. 

The GPU side is where I’m guessing apple wants to lay down some fire. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not sure why folk are enamoured with “eraser at the top” nonsense. 

Look! I have to flip it over like a real pen!

Right now, I can switch between the pen and eraser by double-tapping the pencil. That’s a lot quicker than spinning the thing then spinning it back. 

What folk are asking for is functional skeuomorphism (I think I made that up): imitating an inefficient function of a real object instead of using a better function in an object replacing it. 
    watto_cobrah4y3sStrangeDaysfastasleepforgot usernameDetnator
  • Reply 10 of 10
    There’s an Apple Eraser coming that you could (optionally) attach (magnetically, of course) to the back of Apple Pencil 3. It will be available in many colours. 

The future of precise (3D, AR) erasing will be advanced exponentially due to advanced accelerometer tracking coupled with machine learning. Erasing will never be the same again. 

Kidding. But who knows! Lol!

watto_cobra