Leakers hint at colorful iMacs with iPad Pro-like processor for April 20 event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2021
A prominent leaker has seemingly hinted that Apple will introduce a variety of color options for an updated iMac model at its "Spring Loaded" event, meanwhile, another pundit strongly points to it being an Apple Silicon launch.

February renders of what a new iMac could look like [Jon Prosser]
February renders of what a new iMac could look like [Jon Prosser]

Rumors about Apple's April 20 special event has Apple launching a number of different devices, including updated iPad models and an Apple Silicon version of the iMac. Well-known product leaker "L0vetodream" suggests in further analysis of the AR teaser for the event that the iMac update could be colorful.

Tweeting on Saturday, the account puts together an image of the AR invite's logo alongside one displaying multiple G3 iMacs. The model in question was well known for being offered to the public in a wide variety of bright colors.

However, following initial reports on the tweet, "@L0vetodream" offered in a second message that they "didn't say anything" in that first post.

Previously, the tweeter speculated that Apple could introduce an iMac with a much larger screen than the existing 27-inch iMac model, though stopped short of advising on sizes.

Previous rumors have claimed Apple is mulling over providing color options for the new iMac, such as in renders published in February. The models were described to be a blend of the Pro Display XDR and iPad Pro, complete with edge-to-edge displays and colors similar to the iPad Air.

It is highly likely that Apple will use such an iMac launch to introduce Apple Silicon, but it is unclear if it will continue with the M1 or introduce a new variant. Posting on Friday, Mark Gurman of Bloomberg mused "Would anyone else find it odd if a big iMac was using essentially the same processor as an iPad Pro?"

It is unclear if this refers to the M-series chips being similar to the well-known A-series, or if Apple plans to use a modified version of the M1 in the iMac. Apple typically uses upgraded versions of A-series chips in its iPad Pro lineup, so Gurman's mention could infer that something similar could happen for the iMac.

Speculation from February had the "M1X" as a 12-core CPU, up from the 8 cores in the M1, as well as increasing the GPU from 8 cores to 16 cores. There were also claims the chip is made using a 5-nanometer process, have 256 execution units versus 128 in the M1, and be able to drive three displays instead of two.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Cute colors and cool that they now make their own processors. Either way, I’m trading this event for some fresh air outside the screen. My Intel iMac silver is doing very well thanks. I’ll visit this site for the highlights later, if anything.  :)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I believe that they will introduce a new line of processors for the desktop line of Macs. Maybe the M in M1 stands for mobile? If so, maybe they come up with a D series for desktops. 
    With the chip shortages everywhere, I wouldn’t bet anything will be available until June except for airtags if they release it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I believe that they will introduce a new line of processors for the desktop line of Macs. Maybe the M in M1 stands for mobile? If so, maybe they come up with a D series for desktops. 
    With the chip shortages everywhere, I wouldn’t bet anything will be available until June except for airtags if they release it. 
    The M means Mac.  Apple's mobile processor is the A-series.  They should have a more capable desktop variant of the Apple Silicon chip, one that supports more than 16GB RAM, more than 2TB storage, more than two USB ports, and hopefully discrete graphics (discrete graphics cards are still significantly faster than the M1).  The current iMac supports 128GB RAM, 8TB storage, 4 USB/2 USB-C Thunderbolt.  Apple won't downgrade the iMac to the M1 limitations.
    aderutterApple-a-daydave marshbyronlStrangeDaysfastasleepforgot username
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
     so Gurman's mention could infer that something similar could happen for the iMac.”

Imply, not infer
    Apple-a-daydave marshbikerdudewatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Hmmm. I really want to upgrade my iMac to Apple silicon, but an iPad Pro on a stick is not what I was hoping for. Hope they do a side-by-side of specs for the new and old iMacs and show that the new blows the old out of the water. Some incremental change will not be compelling. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 22
    runyodrunyod Posts: 4member
    I run Larian Studios Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldurs Gate 3 at Max settings with external 24" monitor on my M1 MacBook Air (16G memory) and works flawlessly.  Larian did the work for M1.   Not sure how much more graphics power needed on iMac
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hmmm. I really want to upgrade my iMac to Apple silicon, but an iPad Pro on a stick is not what I was hoping for. Hope they do a side-by-side of specs for the new and old iMacs and show that the new blows the old out of the water. Some incremental change will not be compelling. 
    You are going to be sorely disappointed. These new iMacs will indeed be basically iPads on a stick. The current 21.5 inch iMac has no user upgradeability and the new one won’t either. If there’s a new larger screen model it will not be user upgradeable either. Just like the Mini and the Air and the Pro you will a couple of storage and RAM choices and that will be it. Mark my words. So get ready for the anger and outrage, and the declarations of moving to PC hardware. 

For those of us who just want to use our Macs for work and home the new machines will be amazing.
    watto_cobraapplguyseanboy81byronlStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 22
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    lkrupp said:
    You are going to be sorely disappointed. These new iMacs will indeed be basically iPads on a stick. The current 21.5 inch iMac has no user upgradeability and the new one won’t either. If there’s a new larger screen model it will not be user upgradeable either. Just like the Mini and the Air and the Pro you will a couple of storage and RAM choices and that will be it. Mark my words. So get ready for the anger and outrage, and the declarations of moving to PC hardware. 

For those of us who just want to use our Macs for work and home the new machines will be amazing.
    True that.
    watto_cobraapplguy
  • Reply 9 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    lkrupp said:

So you’re saying that they will be amazing despite being desktop iPads? All that matters to me is that they are that—amazing. No PC threats from me. 
    edited April 2021 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 22
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    The words speculation, unclear, rumor, and unknown appear so many times in this article, they might as well have titled it Complete Bullshit About The New iMacs. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondontht
  • Reply 11 of 22
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Seems like an inventory/SKU nightmare. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I’m pretty sure these will be M series but with X (for extra CPU/GPU cores) and Z for even more (32?) GPU cores. As for RAM, can the packages hold more than 64GB?
    Apple seriously needs to make these things modular upgradable at least with GPU & an extra storage tier or their eco claims are ringing hollow.
    qwerty52williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 22
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    So you’re saying that they will be amazing despite being desktop iPads? All that matters to me is that they are that—amazing. No PC threats from me. 
    They will indeed, but I'd be surprised to see a mention of new iMacs before WWDC. Apple Events/Keynotes this time of year are typically iPads and not Macs.

21" iMacs haven't been user upgradable in years, just the 27", and that is only the RAM. With the M1 unified CPU/GPU/RAM configuration it was obvious that was Apple's roadmap for most if not all Macs. Just about everybody knew that, no surprise there.

iPad on a stick is an oversimplification but it isn't a bad thing, as it's still a Mac running macOS. So the last user upgradable component, RAM, will be no more as we knew it. Moving on.

applguy said:
    Hardly. Apple's done it before with the G3 iMacs and countless other products since. Limited choices of RAM, a few more with storage, and colors. Basically, only one more variable.

With rumors of a shortage of 21" iMacs, I'm wondering if it'll be replaced by a bigger version, like the rumored 24". That might mean a < 27" iMac. I wouldn't mind a 30" iMac with a 5K display. Were it to happen, I'd expect it to definitely be a WWDC announcement.

• Reply 14 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    I assume Apple will release Mac's in the order of least to most complexity for the M Series. 
    With that in mind the low end iMac in a couple of sizes now with the M1 given expanded PCIe interface so deal with a paired Apple GPU chip. 

Making room for iMacPro or some such with 3rd party options. 
    Leaves the MacPro for last with less controlled 3rd party plugin card options. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    mr lizard said:
    “ so Gurman's mention could infer that something similar could happen for the iMac.”

Imply, not infer
    Yar. Conditions imply, people infer.
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 16 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    macgui said:
    applguy said:
    Hardly. Apple's done it before with the G3 iMacs and countless other products since. Limited choices of RAM, a few more with storage, and colors. Basically, only one more variable.
    FWIW, the original gumdrop iMacs (rev c, "Comes in Colors") WERE an inventory/SKU nightmare. Apple required retailers to take equal numbers of all colours, resulting in wildly varying stock and SKU bloat that stores were extremely reluctant to deal with at the time.

This was two years before the iPod, remember, and the original Bondi iMac had only just veered Apple away from inevitable bankruptcy. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member

mr lizard said:
    “ so Gurman's mention could infer that something similar could happen for the iMac.”

Imply, not infer
    Yup. People infer, conditions imply.
    In fact, people infer from what the conditions imply. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Yep, my M1 Mac mini is portable, Oh wait...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Well, my 2019 i9 iMac 27" with 64 GB RAM and the upgraded GPU is sitting next to my base model M1 Mac mini I bought just to check out.  With a 4K monitor, the Mac mini blows the iMac out of the water for most things not least of which is its speed, lack of heat, and silence. 

I now have Parallels running Windows 10 ARM in half of the poor wee thing's RAM and Core count i.e. 4 cores and 4 GB RAM.  The Windows side has benchmark scores that shame native i7 and even i9 PCs and the Mac mini is running both virtualization and emulation to do this.

This is only M1... 

So, in conclusion, an iMac M2 or MX or whatever they are called will be the most powerful consumer computer out there and will run Windows 10 too, faster than almost any PC.  And you are not impressed?
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 20 of 22

spheric said:

mr lizard said:

Imply, not infer
    Yup. People infer, conditions imply.
    In fact, people infer from what the conditions imply. 
    Are you implying people infer things, or inferring people imply things?
    edited April 2021