Apple launches new Apple TV 4K with A12 Bionic CPU, redesigned Siri remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple has introduced an updated version of the Apple TV, an upgraded sixth-generation set-top box with the A12 Bionic CPU, a new Siri remote, and automatic color balancing via iPhone.

Unveiled on Tuesday, the sixth-generation Apple TV is a refresh of the product line with new internals, led by the A12 Bionic CPU. It also includes a redesigned Siri Remote that is meant to work as a universal remote to control all of your devices.

The new Apple TV is priced at $179 for 32 gigabytes of storage, or $199 for 64 gigabytes. It's available to preorder on April 30, and will launch in the second half of May.

The new Siri Remote includes a clickpad with 5-way navigation for improved accuracy. On the perimeter, it also offers a circular gesture for jog control, akin to the iPod classic.

Apple has also moved the Siri button to the side, mimicking how the power button is held on an iPhone for Siri.

The Apple TV 4K also gains a new color balance feature, that uses advanced sensors in the iPhone to set the colors accurately on a user's TV set. Using the camera and proximity sensor, it guides users with an onscreen target to manage color balance automatically.

Running on tvOS 14, the new model's main upgrade is a shift to the A12 Bionic system-on-chip, which Apple has previously used in the iPad Pro and said was as powerful as an Xbox One. Upgrading from the A10X used in the Apple TV 4K makes the latest version an extremely useful device for gamers, who may be encouraged to take up an Apple Arcade subscription for the so-called console-quality performance.

Externally, the Apple TV remains the same as the previous model, taking the form of a small square puck. Apple says the Siri Remote enclosure is made of 100% recycled aluminum.

As for connectivity, the new set-top box boasts 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 and support for Thread, a mesh communications standard developed specifically for smart home products. Apple's first Thread-enabled device debuted last year in HomePod mini. Output is handled via an HMDI 2.1 port, suggesting 120Hz video could arrive in a future software update.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Still market leaders…… in price 
    elijahgwilliamlondonjahbladedaven
  • Reply 2 of 84
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    The Apple TV 4K also gains a new color balance feature, that uses advanced sensors in the iPhone to set the colors accurately on a user's TV set. Using the camera and proximity sensor, it guides users with an onscreen target to manage color balance automatically.

Any reason this feature couldn't be used with the original 4K model? Seems like most of the heavy lifting is done in the phone.

edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 84
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I wonder how this "new color balance feature" actually works and is it literally changing the TV''s settings, can it be disabled, does it restore to original settings when exited? My Sony Bravia XBR55A9G was professionally calibrated and I don't want my iPhone mucking with anything.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    neillwdneillwd Posts: 45member
    Hate the remote.
    spliff monkeywilliamlondonbloggerblogBeats
  • Reply 5 of 84
    cpfcpf Posts: 7member
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?
    williamlondonInspiredCodejeffreytgilbert
  • Reply 6 of 84
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    First impression is wow that's expensive. The remote seems better though, which was one of my main complaints. Also, no use having a CPU "as powerful as an Xbox One" when all the games are graphically about the same as the first gen Xbox or PS2, and all but a few are nowhere near as immersive.
    edited April 2021 Beats
  • Reply 7 of 84
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    mobird said:
    I wonder how this "new color balance feature" actually works and is it literally changing the TV''s settings, can it be disabled, does it restore to original settings when exited? My Sony Bravia XBR55A9G was professionally calibrated and I don't want my iPhone mucking with anything.
    No - there's no interface to change the TV calibration. It's altering the signals coming from the AppleTV box.

It'll be interesting to see if they add this kind of calibration to other products or if they just assume the iMac calibration is perfect from the factory.
    williamlondonllamadavenBeatsAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 84
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    williamlondonStrangeDaysionicleBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 84
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    Not sure that "the remote doesn't absolutely suck now" is compelling enough to justify paying $179 over my current, already overpriced AppleTV 4K.
    williamlondonlkruppelijahgbeowulfschmidtdaven
  • Reply 10 of 84
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    Wow... seriously?  I agree, I like the touch remote functionality, but it constantly has sensitivity and inconsistency issues.  So they put buttons back in... which is great.  So, swiping/touch?

It still does that AS WELL!  Did you not see that?  Buttons AND swiping...  It's the best of both worlds.  Plus scroll-wheeling on top to boot.

And the other huge issue with the previous remote that this one fixes:  no longer vertically symmetrical so no more using it upside down.  

Frankly, I think they finally got the damn thing right.  

But complainers gotta complain...?  Present a legitimate issue if you have one, but seriously... maybe you guys wanna get your information straight first?
    hcrefugeewilliamlondonroundaboutnowtokyojimuioniclejeffreytgilbertWgkruegerdjames4242seanboy81asdasd
  • Reply 11 of 84
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member

elijahg said:
    First impression is wow that's expensive. The remote seems better though, which was one of my main complaints. Also, no use having a CPU "as powerful as an Xbox One" when all the games are graphically about the same as the first gen Xbox or PS2, and all but a few are nowhere near as immersive.

Hopefully this gives the game developers more to work in order to build decent games.  Maybe the processing just wasn't up to it before?  

It could be that or it could be "Apple stuff just isn't for real games" syndrome.  The devs (perhaps incorrectly) think that so they don't build the decent games, thus self-fulfilling prophecy type thing?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 84
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    You can already do single-item navigation with the current remote by tapping on the trackpad in the cardinal directions. Tap on the right edge, and the cursor moves one element to the right. It has worked like that since day 1. I wonder if you now need to click on the ring to move, or if taps will still work. I haven't had a problem identifying which end of the remote is which, but the improved contrast should help others who have.

I currently use a projector against a wall, so I look forward to finding out if the calibration works for that. My bet is no.
    williamlondonioniclewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 84
    A mute button! Yes!

Hope the new remote sold separately and compatible with the current AppleTV.

Edit : sold separately @ $59
    edited April 2021 jeffreytgilbertScot1Japheysuperklotonminicoffeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 84
    elijahg said:
    LOL...1st gen Xbox or PS2?? I think your memory of what those consoles produced graphically is failing you. They weren't even HD capable, much less 4K.  
    viclauyycsuperklotonn2itivguywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 84
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Have you used the new one yet?

StrangeDayssuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 84
    stoneygstoneyg Posts: 55member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.

In the presentation they specifically mentioned that the directional pad is also touch sensitive and allows for swipes to quickly scroll across a number of items.  
    seanboy81davenn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 84
    mobird said:
    It was explicitly stated that it won't change your TV's settings and doesn't have to. Instead, it will just adjust the signal it's sending to the TV over HDMI.
    mobirdllamadavenn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 84
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.

Agreed on the touchpad, it was way better than D-pad clicking. Momentum and scrubbing are so great, hope they persist that functionality. (haven’t watched event yet) Sounds like it has both:

The all-new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control — perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show. 
    edited April 2021 ioniclewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 84
    PeteMPeteM Posts: 9member
    Will the new remote work with the old 4K Apple TV?

edited April 2021 ioniclewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 84
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?

It's actually the A12 Bionic.
    minicoffeewilliamlondonwatto_cobra