Apple's AirTag helps you keep track of your things for $29 each, $99 in a four-pack

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
After a series of leaks and rumors spanning years, Apple's AirTag tracker system has arrived to help you keep track of all your gear from your iPhone. Integrating with Apple's "Find My" app, the accessories are priced at $29 apiece, or $99 for a four-pack.

The new Apple AirTag
Apple AirTag

The new circular trackers can be affixed to different devices and located using the updated Find My app included as part of iOS 14. The updated app is broken out into four tabs for "People," "Devices," "Items," and "Me."

Objects can be placed into "lost" mode where when another iPhone user comes in proximity it sends the device location back to the owner, similar to Tile's community feature. When in lost mode, anyone who finds them can tap them via NFC to learn more about the lost item.

Personalize your AirTag
Personalize your AirTag

When ordering, users are able to customize their AirTags with emojis to make them representative of what you are tracking with them.

The device trackers will utilize Apple's U1 chip, have an internal accelerometer, sport IP67 water and dust resistance, and have a built-in speaker for easier discovery. The back is laser-etched polished stainless steel while the top is plastic and can be personalized.

AirTag features
AirTag Features

The battery is user-replaceable so they aren't discarded when the battery dies. The battery will also last over a year with regular use.

When trying to track down your item, a precision fiding feature in the Find My app gives you exact directions and distance to where your device is.

Apple has many AirTag accessories
Apple has many AirTag accessories

Setup mimics Apple's AirPods experience. Just bring AirTag near your iPhone and a card appears on screen to help you onboard the device and add to the Find My app.

To go with AirTag, Apple is introducing a line of accessories. Apple has its own Polyurethane Loop, Leather Loop, and Leather Key Ring.

Apple was rumored to launch the trackers for some time. Ming-Chi Kuo reiterated the rumor just prior to Apple's iPhone 11 event in 2019 though the trackers never surfaced. Code in builds of iOS 13 revealed the shapes and even the name of Apple's then-unannounced tracker and the final release of iOS 13.2 revealed a first look at the revamped Find My app.

As Apple finalized the tags for release, additional rumors and renders spread online including a slew of third-party covers and accessories to attach the tags to various things.

In April, Apple officially brought its third-party Find My network online after announcing it at the 2020 Worldwide Developer Conference. Supported third-party Find My devices including the new Belkin SoundForm earbuds, VanMoof's e-bikes, and the Chipolo ONE Spot tracker.

This story is breaking. Update frequently for the most up to date information

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    sounds like it wont be useful for tracking thefts as i think they said it alerts an iphone carrier of an unknown tag

shame i wanted to put one in my car
    dk49caladanianBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 84
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Mock me if you will, I’m a launch day adopter here. Wallet. Keys. iPad and maybe glasses!  Lol!
    pujones1ravnorodomjas99lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    bageljoey said:
    Mock me if you will, I’m a launch day adopter here. Wallet. Keys. iPad and maybe glasses!  Lol!

Not sure why you’d need for an iPad? 
    twokatmewchiaCloudTalkinravnorodomforgot usernamePezawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    kkqd1337 said:
    sounds like it wont be useful for tracking thefts as i think they said it alerts an iphone carrier of an unknown tag

I was ready to head all in with the AirTags for the exact same reason.  Knowing that any iPhone out there would relay back its location without having to install any app (like Tile) was no-brainer for me.  

Stalkers abusing this is a valid concern.  I'm hoping to see what the real-world issues are when it comes out.  I live in San Francisco and garage break-in's are common here.  AirTags would be perfect for tagging some of my high-priced items in case of theft.  To think that a stranger's iPhone would get a prompt of an unknown AirTag would seem to me like message overkill has me thinking there's a practical solution to prevent stalking, yet give victims of theft a useful and accurate location for the police.
    forgot usernamecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 84
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    are we sure that it isn't ONLY when in lost mode that other iPhones can "see" the tags?

Objects can be placed into "lost" mode where when another iPhone user comes in proximity it sends the device location back to the owner, similar to Tile's community feature. When in lost mode, anyone who finds them can tap them via NFC to learn more about the lost item.
    forgot usernamecaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 84
    The battery is user-replaceable so they aren't discarded when the battery dies. The battery will also last over a year with regular use.

This is a killer feature that may get overlooked.  The product really doesn't support any use cases for me personally, but for those who will use them knowing they aren't disposable is a definite benefit.

edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingamravnorodomforgot usernamecaladaniandewmeslprescottbrometheus
  • Reply 7 of 84
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    But your device doesn’t have to have a U1 chip right? These will work with any product that runs iOS 14 correct?
    Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 84
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    bageljoey said:
    No one will mock you. System level integration, user replaceable batteries and the four pack option is easily worth being an early adopter for. 
    muthuk_vanalingamforgot usernamecaladanianMplsPBeats
  • Reply 9 of 84
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    🤣 Sammy now have to drop their price now that Apple is coming in at $10–14.25 less than they are for a similar (but ultimately lesser) product.
    jas99Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 84
    pjctxpjctx Posts: 1member
    So, as I understood it (or maybe misunderstood it) with Tile, my phone could locate my tags via Bluetooth. If I left my wallet in a bar, it would be out of my Bluetooth range but yet anyone else having Bluetooth on and the Tile app that it would locate my tag and give me an approximate location.  
    Would the Apple Tags take advantage of this by either 1) the method I described for Tile, or 2) just show you the tags’ last known location. I know we can get alerts if get too for away from specific items but doesn’t really help. 

I’m looking for a tag small enough to be a cat’s collar that can show me where in the neighborhood she might be (she’s an escape artist 😁).
    forgot usernamecaladanianBeatsmaclin3watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 84
    WTHWTH Posts: 26member
    sflocal said:
    Stalkers abusing this is a valid concern.  I'm hoping to see what the real-world issues are when it comes out.  I live in San Francisco and garage break-in's are common here.  AirTags would be perfect for tagging some of my high-priced items in case of theft.  To think that a stranger's iPhone would get a prompt of an unknown AirTag would seem to me like message overkill has me thinking there's a practical solution to prevent stalking, yet give victims of theft a useful and accurate location for the police.
    It all depends on how long the user has to be in the vicinity of the AirTag in order for it to send an alert.  Being around the AirTag for a few hours shouldn't trigger it; otherwise you'd get alerts just by being near coworkers or friends every day, which would be overkill.  If there is (for example) a 72-hour delay before the AirTag starts to alert nearby users, then that's all the time I need to locate my stolen property and report it to the police.  The devil is always in the details.

If a stalker wants to track you, they'll have much better (and more anonymous) tools to do it with than an AirTag.  Apple is trying to head off any criticism about potential abuse,  but this technology is eventually going to be embedded into a lot more than Apple products.
    forgot usernamefastasleepkkqd1337watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Order on 23 at 5:00am - why isn't that in the article?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 84
    heli0sheli0s Posts: 65member
    Can someone describe to me the type of person who will be buying a $449 AirTag Hermès Luggage Tag? The same person who bought the $18,000 Gold Apple Watch Gen 1? 
    beowulfschmidtMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 84
    WTHWTH Posts: 26member
    Okay, here is more detail about the privacy protection features from the Apple website:

AirTag is also designed with a set of proactive features that discourage unwanted tracking, an industry first. Bluetooth signal identifiers transmitted by AirTag rotate frequently to prevent unwanted location tracking. iOS devices can also detect an AirTag that isn’t with its owner, and notify the user if an unknown AirTag is seen to be traveling with them from place to place over time. And even if users don’t have an iOS device, an AirTag separated from its owner for an extended period of time will play a sound when moved to draw attention to it. If a user detects an unknown AirTag, they can tap it with their iPhone or NFC-capable device and instructions will guide them to disable the unknown AirTag.

So you'll have only a limited amount of time before the AirTag audibly alerts the thief and allows him to disable it.  That is definitely going to cripple it as an anti-theft gadget.  Hopefully, there will still be companies like Tile that will be able to sell people a more useful device.

ioniclebeowulfschmidtPeza
  • Reply 15 of 84
    stoneygstoneyg Posts: 55member
    cornchip said:
    bageljoey said:

Not sure why you’d need for an iPad? 
    He's just a worrier I guess. That's probably why his friends call him 'Whiskers'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 84
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Kudos to Apple for going with a user replaceable battery.
    pscooter63Pezawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 84
    No information on how to attach them to an object, beyond the key chain? Looks like the backs are rounded so will be difficult to stick on. I have Tiles on all my remotes, how would I used these? They also look too thick to easily put in a wallet (which is likely why Apple only mentions purses). Tiles have a great feature where you can push a button to make your phone ring. Thought I would make the switch over, but not so sure.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    kkqd1337 said:

Plus the website says the batteries are easily replaceable, meaning anyone who finds it can remove the batteries and it's game over.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 84
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I missed the beginning part of this announcement on the video. Do they come with AR capabilities as the rumors predicted? The article doesn’t specify. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 84
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    dk49 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

Plus the website says the batteries are easily replaceable, meaning anyone who finds it can remove the batteries and it's game over.
    Even without a battery, anyone who finds it can just crush the AirTag with a pair of pliers. Or put it into an EMR protective sleeve which costs about 10 cents. 
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra