Apple debuts colorful 24-inch iMac with M1, upgraded camera and audio

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2021
Apple's all-in-one desktop became the latest Mac to make the transition to Apple Silicon on Tuesday, with a new iMac sporting the M1 chip and an array of color options.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The redesigned 24-inch iMac sports an updated and sleeker design that's much more compact than its predecessors, thanks to the smaller footprint of the M1 system-on-chip design. It features softer edges and a front panel that's created from a single sheet of glass. On the display side, the new iMac sports a 24-inch Retina display with True Tone support.

Apple has also given the new iMac a major upgrade across its audio and video channels, including a three-mic array, a 1080p FaceTime camera, and increased speaker power. It also supports Dolby Audio and Spatial Audio.

Boasting Apple Silicon in the form of the M1 chip, Apple says it's the fastest iMac to date. Apple says the iMac is up to 85% faster than the previous models across apps like Xcode, Lightroom, and iMovie. It also sports graphics that are up to 2 times faster than past models.

In a move that recalls the original iMac G3 released in 1998, the new iMacs come in a range of new color options, including green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. On the rear, it has up to 4 USB-C ports, of which two are Thunderbolt 3, as well as a new magnetic power connector. The device also features an updated Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

It starts at $1,299 and becomes available for preorder on April 30, 2021. The device will start shipping out to customers in the second half of May.

The iMac becomes the fourth Mac to transition to Apple Silicon, following the debut of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac mini last fall.

Apple's all-in-one desktop became the latest Mac to make the transition to Apple Silicon on Tuesday, with a new iMac sporting the M1 chip and an array of color options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 283
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Extremely cool!
    kkqd1337StrangeDaysbloggerblogdoozydozenn2itivguyBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 283
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    edited April 2021 williamlondonprismaticskkqd1337CloudTalkincat52mike54applecored
  • Reply 3 of 283
    jknashjknash Posts: 13member
    No apple on the front of the new iMac ??!? What the hell is going on Apple? 
    edited April 2021 williamlondonapplguyJSR_FDEDviclauyycspock1234cat52darren mccoyapplecoredBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 283
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Well, that's going to be an inventory 💩 show.

But the initial specs do look impressive!
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 283
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Annoying grey screen bezel! Yuck!

black border please! Or at least same color as the case, so one can pick dark blue, or silver.

two colors on the front is just annoying 
    mariowilliamlondonkkqd1337CloudTalkinJSR_FDEDgadgetfreak-applepatchythepiratespock1234doozydozencat52
  • Reply 6 of 283
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I like the direction, but not what I was hoping for.  I suspected we probably wouldn't see the 27" or it's replacement and sadly I was right :(

Also the M1 likely means it's limited to 16GB of RAM so that's also a non-starter for me.  Get me a 27" or equivalent with 32GB of RAM and the Tangerine would be on order ASAP!

I am a bit disappointed it still has a chin - I would have rather had a thicker device with a thinner or non-existant chin; but then it would just look like a monitor and wouldn't be as easily recognizable as an Apple device so I can sort of see why they kept it.  

The large version should be interesting!  We are now a bit closer - hopefully this year?  

I'll say it again - I do love the colors, though.  Kudos to Apple for spicing things back up again.  Maybe the new MacBook Pro's will be in color?  Would love to have a Tangerine MacBook Pro.
    edited April 2021 80s_Apple_GuyScot1williamlondonprismaticsJSR_FDEDJWSCbyronlwatto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 7 of 283
    Big chin, why? A little thicker and no chin is better IMO. 
    docno42titantigerJSR_FDEDkkqd1337darren mccoyTRAG
  • Reply 8 of 283
    Will this keyboard with Touch-ID be available to purchase separately?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 283
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    I think it's an improvement.  With the new built in speakers they are probably way better than the vast majority of external computer speakers out there.  If you are tying into a stereo receiver you're better off sending digital audio over HDMI vs. analog audio over a piddly 3.5mm jack.  

If you want to use headphones, on the side is a huge improvement.  

You can always get a 3.5mm right angle adapter to minimize what is sticking out if you do want to use with fixed speakers.  

Bottom line - For most people this will be a significantly improved user experience.  
    bageljoeyDetnatorwilliamlondondewmeroundaboutnowserranotmacplusplusStrangeDaysspock1234Beats
  • Reply 10 of 283
    Will this keyboard with Touch-ID be available to purchase separately?
    Even if it is, I would suspect it will only work with Apple Silicon Macs.  If you have an Intel Mac and want Touch ID - time to upgrade!
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 283
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Apple realized people still use sticky note reminders and thus the chin is needed to keep the screen free and clear.
    docno42Scot1jasenj1applguyJSR_FDEDbaconstangtenthousandthingsmknelsonmike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 283
    cg27 said:
    Apple realized people still use sticky note reminders and thus the chin is needed to keep the screen free and clear.
    lol - I wonder if whiteboard dry erase markers will work on it  ;)
    viclauyycsidricthevikingwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 283
    I love everything about it except....once again, Apple is being so stingy with the storage.  256GB for a desktop computer is almost insulting.  For $1300, 512GB should have been the minimum and I wish I didn't keep having this complaint every time there's a big refresh in the Mac product line.  A disappointing skimp on what looks like a really nice update.

I too wish the chin was totally gone, but I suppose we just aren't there yet.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamJSR_FDEDkkqd1337LorenzoMcdocno42Pezaviclauyycwg45678CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 14 of 283
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Same CPU as debuted half a year ago in the Air and Pro?

That’s a shame, thought it’d be an M1X at least!
    williamlondonJSR_FDEDkkqd1337baconstangScot1viclauyycwg45678cat52ITGUYINSD
  • Reply 15 of 283
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Was hoping for 27” or 30” iMac 
    Looks like memory swap out might have been lost as well in new design?
    JSR_FDEDdocno42
  • Reply 15 of 283
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

I do wish the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    edited April 2021 williamlondonmacapfelScot1baconstangroundaboutnowmwhitemike1StrangeDaysJWSCfahlman
  • Reply 17 of 283
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    And it seems only 8GB memory across the board with no upgrade to 16GB. WTF Apple?
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 18 of 283
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mario said:
    Only neanderthal luddites use headphone jacks.
    guscatspock1234williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 283
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    JinTech said:
    And it seems only 8GB memory across the board with no upgrade to 16GB. WTF Apple?
    https://www.apple.com/imac-24/specs/

Clearly states "Up to 16 GB unified memory"
    JSR_FDEDroundaboutnowScot1tenthousandthingsdocno42StrangeDaysfahlmanrandominternetpersonspock1234canukstorm
  • Reply 20 of 283
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    JinTech said:

No, the same options as on the M1 Mac Mini are available.  16TB RAM, 2TB SSD.  Plus there is a VESA mount option.
    baconstangroundaboutnowScot1StrangeDaysfahlmanwilliamlondonwatto_cobra