Apple launches new wireless Magic Keyboard for Mac with Touch ID

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple has launched a new version of the Magic Keyboard for Mac, adding Touch ID for password-free unlocking of macOS for the first time.

Launched as part of its iMac refresh during the "Spring Loaded" event, Apple's new Magic Keyboard brings with it a few changes that make the keyboard more useful to users.

Chief among the changes is the addition of Touch ID, bringing over a technology that has been available on the MacBook Pro to desktop Macs. Having its own Touch ID sensor, it creates a secure channel to the Mac's secure enclave to protect the authentication process.

The keyboard also includes function buttons that can be used to trigger Spotlight, Dictation, and Do Not Disturb. To the bottom left, the Function button can also be used to start typing emoji characters.

Apple has also designed the keyboard to have an enclosure that color-matches with the iMac for a unified appearance. Versions are also available with the Numeric Keypad.

Alongside the Magic Keyboards, Apple also updated the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad to include the extra color options.

While Apple will be supplying the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse with the new iMac, it is unclear how much the updated versions will cost when bought separately.
wwinter86

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Still no backlit keys???
    williamlondoncaladanianbaconstangchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 42
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    it would be great if they could also add a light sensor so that I can use true tone w/my MacBook closed and connected to my external monitors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 42
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Which Mac(s) is it compatible with?
    pulseimagesdewmeleehammwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It was thought that Apple couldn’t do touched on a separate keyboard. But it seems they solved the problem with, what else, a new chip.

it’s hard to have a backlit wireless keyboard without making it bulkier because of bigger batteries.
    Scot1caladanianpscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    melgross said:
    But it seems they solved the problem with, what else, a new chip.
    That doesn't make any sense though, the chip doesn't matter, what counts is the signal it's sending. But I wouldn't put it past any tech company to get sort of hand-wavey and call "a secure signal running on an obscure non-wifi/bluetooth piece of open spectrum with a custom antenna" a "new chip," especially if it happens to be on a chip that is new (even if that's the least relevant piece of the equation).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 42
    lol holy shit they're still using Lightning to charge these things (and the mouse and the trackpad) whyyyyy
    caladanianentropys
  • Reply 7 of 42
    I still use a wired keyboard, because I don’t like charging basic peripherals all the time (I know, I’m a monster). Wired + backlit would have sold this for me.
    aderutterbaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Also with numeric keyboard. :smiley: Great!
    entropyssphericbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I still use a wired keyboard, because I don’t like charging basic peripherals all the time (I know, I’m a monster). Wired + backlit would have sold this for me.
    But... a dedicated emoji key!
    scampercombaconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Eric_WVGG said:
    lol holy shit they're still using Lightning to charge these things (and the mouse and the trackpad) whyyyyy
    I agree. USB-C would have been the logical choice. Sigh. 
  • Reply 11 of 42
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Ugh, I hate that arrow key layout, where the left/right arrows are full-size instead of half-size like the up-down arrows. This is continually annoying on my 2017 MacBook Pro. When my older Apple keyboard died earlier this year, I saw that the new keyboards use this layout, so I got a Logitech keyboard to use temporarily in the hopes that the next generation of Magic Keyboard would revert to the arrow key layout of the older (and current) MBP's. I hope this doesn't mean the next iteration of MBP's (I'm waiting for a 16" Apple Silicon) will switch again to this style. I mostly use my laptop on a stand with an external keyboard, so it's not a dealbreaker on the laptop but it is on the external keyboard.
    Eric_WVGG
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Also with numeric keyboard. :smiley: Great!
    Where are you seeing that? 
  • Reply 13 of 42
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    I also have no need for my keyboard and trackpad to be wireless. Depending on where the charge ports are, you could just leave them plugged in.
    scampercombaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 42
    arlomedia said:
    I also have no need for my keyboard and trackpad to be wireless. Depending on where the charge ports are, you could just leave them plugged in.
     :D 
    Eric_WVGG
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Will this work with the 2019 16” MBP?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I agree. USB-C would have been the logical choice. Sigh. 
    honestly I'm wondering why they don't just use the new iPhone MagSafe standard

ditto for the new iPad Pros
  • Reply 17 of 42

arlomedia said:
    Ugh, I hate that arrow key layout, where the left/right arrows are full-size instead of half-size like the up-down arrows. This is continually annoying on my 2017 MacBook Pro. When my older Apple keyboard died earlier this year, I saw that the new keyboards use this layout, so I got a Logitech keyboard to use temporarily in the hopes that the next generation of Magic Keyboard would revert to the arrow key layout of the older (and current) MBP's. I hope this doesn't mean the next iteration of MBP's (I'm waiting for a 16" Apple Silicon) will switch again to this style. I mostly use my laptop on a stand with an external keyboard, so it's not a dealbreaker on the laptop but it is on the external keyboard.
    I don't mind full-sized arrow keys, but you're right, it is super weird that they'd release it that way right after the new M1 keyboards… I wouldn't worry about the 16, though, Apple has never not used the same keyboard for every laptop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 42
    melgross said:
    It was thought that Apple couldn’t do touched on a separate keyboard. But it seems they solved the problem with, what else, a new chip.

it’s hard to have a backlit wireless keyboard without making it bulkier because of bigger batteries.
    Using Logi MX Keys for Mac, chosen for typing performance AND backlight. Don´t really see the problem with that, but Apple seems a bit stubborn at times, and sticks to improvable designs no matter what.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I refuse to get a keyboard with half-size arrow keys.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    It's 2021 .. where is Face ID on macOS?  :/
    williamlondonwatto_cobra