Apple unveils new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with mini LED Liquid Retina XDR display

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2021
Apple's update to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro for 2021 introduces a new mini LED Liquid Retina XDR display, taking display technology used in the Pro Display XDR and shrinking it down into Apple's most powerful tablet to date.

iPad Pro 12.9

Launched during the Spring Loaded special event, Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro differs itself from the 11-inch update with the use of a new display, which Apple refers to as Liquid Retina XDR. For this iteration, Apple is using mini LED technology.

Housing 10,000 mini LEDs behind its 12.9-inch screen, it uses considerably more light sources than the 72 LEDs used in the previous model. Overall, the display can output 1,000 nits of full-screen brightness and 1,600 nits of peak brightness.

The advantage of the technology is similar to the Pro Display XDR's system of local dimming zones, but the iPad Pro goes further still. Using the sheer number of mini LEDs, it has 2,596 local dimming zones, enabling it to have a 1 million to 1 contrast ratio.

As well as the improvements to the display, the 12.9-inch model has the same screen features as the 11-inch, including ProMotion, True Tone, and P3 wide color support. Naturally it is higher-resolution than its stablemate at 2,732 by 2,048 pixels, giving it a pixel density of 264ppi.

Along with the display upgrade, it has the same internal changes as its 11-inch counterpart, including the use of the eight-core M1 chip with an 8-core GPU. It will be paired with 8GB of memory on the 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB-capacity models, rising to 16GB on the 1TB and 2TB versions.

A Thunderbolt 4 port is in the base, enabling it to connect to external devices at up to 40Gbps. The connection also includes support for USB 4.

The updates also extend to having 5G connectivity, bringing it in line with the iPhone 12 in providing faster cellular Internet access to users.

On the back is the Pro camera system, combining 12-megapixel Wide and 10-megapixel Ultra Wide cameras and providing a 2x optical zoom out. The cameras are capable of 4K video recording at up to 60fps, with Slo-mo at 1080p 240fps.

Around the front, the TrueDepth Camera uses a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera and can record 1080p video at 60fps. Audio is the iPad Pro's usual four-speaker setup, as well as five studio-quality microphones for calls and audio recording .

Available in Silver and Space Gray, Apple is starting the 12.9-inch iPad Pro from $1,099, rising to $2,199 for the 2TB model, with cellular as a $200 add-on. Orders for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro commence from April 30, and will start shipping in the second half of May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    The number of mini-LEDs and dimming zones is pretty crazy. For example, there are $3,000 4K TVs that have less than 800 dimming zones for an 85" screen size.
    edited April 2021 Palandreljdb8167caladanianfastasleepStrangeDayskillroyBeatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 2 of 61
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This thing is a beast. When they were describing it I envisioned dollar signs spewing out of a blower. But the actual price is in line with current models. Not bad. This will put serious pressure on Apple to differentiate iPad Pro from the lower end of the MacBook Pro lineup.
    bala1234Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 61
    I think my next TV will be the new iPad Pro 12.9"
    williamlondongilly33killroyBeatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 4 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    dewme said:
    This thing is a beast. When they were describing it I envisioned dollar signs spewing out of a blower. But the actual price is in line with current models. Not bad. This will put serious pressure on Apple to differentiate iPad Pro from the lower end of the MacBook Pro lineup.
    I can see a niche of people linking 12.9 inch iPad pro w/24 inch iMac, or Mac Book Pro, either as an extra screen or as graphic input. 

So how would that work with USB 4?

Just plug it in and configure it I suppose, but details will appear soon enough.
    killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 61
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    The number of mini-LEDs and dimming zones is pretty crazy. For example, there are $3,000 4K TVs that have less than 800 dimming zones for an 85" screen size.
    Yeah but I know what I’d much rather watch a movie on...
  • Reply 6 of 61
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Yeah but I know what I’d much rather watch a movie on...
    Beats
  • Reply 7 of 61
    But no iPad mini!   😩
    dbvapor
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Final Cut Pro for iPad is coming!.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 61
    A 10,000 Mini-LED panel with 2500 local dimming zones is as impressive as all get out.  I haven't bought an iPad in 4 years.  I'm getting this one.  Apple surprised the heck out of me slipping an M1 in it.  Happy camper I am.   

The comparison you're making isn't like for like though.  The TV's you're mentioning are larger so a comparable number of Mini-LED's will give you fewer dimming zones.  Take for example a TCL 8 Series 75" Mini-LED TV.  It also has a 10,000 Mini-LED panel but size (same number of LED's spread over a larger surface) yields only 1000 local dimming zones instead of 2500 like the iPad Pro.  

Think about this, the Pro Display XDR only has 576 local dimming zones.  This iPad Pro screen is a beast.  It also matches the XDR in sustained and peak brightness. B.E.A.S.T.
    dewmecaladaniancyberzombiekillroyMplsPBeatswatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 10 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    So there is really no reason why macOS couldn’t be installed on the IPP.
    i see SuperOS emerging.   IPadPro with the new Keyboard for theIMac running macOS would be great.  They just to put 16 GB ram in this with a big SSD.  

Edit: and external monitor.
    edited April 2021 caladaniankillroymuthuk_vanalingamMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Bummer, why can’t we get our choice of pretty colors like the new iMacs?

gilly33killroyBeats
  • Reply 12 of 61
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    I wonder if Parallels or VMware will come out with an app the lets you run VMs on this beast. Imagine running macOS or Windows for Arm in a VM. I hope Apple lets them do it...
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 61
    MarcHawk said:
    Bummer, why can’t we get our choice of pretty colors like the new iMacs?

I don’t like the colours. Just glad silver is still an option but missing space grey or black on the iMacs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 61
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tmay said:
    dewme said:
    I can see a niche of people linking 12.9 inch iPad pro w/24 inch iMac, or Mac Book Pro, either as an extra screen or as graphic input. 

Just plug it in and configure it I suppose, but details will appear soon enough.
    What? Sidecar has been out since Catalina and works over WIFI or USB. That’s how it would work. 

Also, AstroPad and Duet Display have been around even longer. 
    watto_cobraemoeller
  • Reply 15 of 61
    iPhone 12 Pro Max has 3,566,952 dimming zones
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    k2kw said:
    So there is really no reason why macOS couldn’t be installed on the IPP.
    i see SuperOS emerging.   IPadPro with the new Keyboard for theIMac running macOS would be great.  They just to put 16 GB ram in this with a big SSD.  

Edit: and external monitor.
    They already could have done this. iPadOS/iOS is based on OS X. They chose not to due to form factor and use case. They affirm it every year. 

georgie01macpluspluswilliamlondonrandominternetpersonAppleZuluBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 61
    tsautsau Posts: 2member
    In Australia, in the Apple Store app on iOS and iPadOS, for both iPad and iPad mini, there is the following "Order 30.4. Available second half of May", same as for the new iPad Pro. I've reported this to Apple AU so perhaps the text will be gone soon.
    This may be a typo, but it doesn't appear for iPad Air. So who knows, we may well see some other new iPads before too long. Fingers crossed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 61
    tsautsau Posts: 2member
    Here are the screenshots:

Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    tmay said:
    dewme said:

What? Sidecar has been out since Catalina and works over WIFI or USB. That’s how it would work. 

Also, AstroPad and Duet Display have been around even longer. 
    You are correct, if the default is USB 3, but there hasn't been a TB 3 iPad to TB 3 Mac capability until now. Will there be an option to configure via TB 3 channels for higher bandwidth? Would it even make a difference?

I guess we'll know soon enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The only negative is that this screen isn’t available in the 11 inch model.
    (and price of course).
    watto_cobra